Skip to main content
Topic: Tow car vibration alarm (Read 705 times) previous topic - next topic

Tow car vibration alarm

We have been using a high-tech towing vibration sensor in our Jeep, that tells us in our motorhome if we have problems caused by hitch, tires, etc.
It uses an accelerometer to measure normal movements in up/down, side-to-side & front-to-back planes. 
An adjustable sensitivity setting alarms when there is excess movements.

We also use it as an intrusion alarm when we are parked as it will alarm if anyone messes with our Jeep, even if Jeep is a 1,000 feet away.
This Park feature can work if we are in a campground, home, motel, restaurant, etc.

Both Jeep & motorhome units are about the size of a pack of cigarettes and communicate wireless back and forth to each other.
They each are completely portable and plug into a cigarette lighter socket for power.

We have had it for over a year and would be completly lost without it.  It offers us safety that nothing else can.  We know if a hitch pin comes out or a Jeep tire throws a tread, that we will immediately be informed before more damage can occur.  No chance to drag our tow-car down the road until someone flags us down.

Info can be found at Tattle-Trail.com.

Re: Tow car vibration alarm

Reply #1
Barry, I am interested in the system you are using, the question I have would be; Just how long in miles and hours does it take to correctly calibrate the 3 axis G sensor for accurate feed back ?
I would guess a while ?
Thanks  :)
Dave

Reply #2
Barry, it looks like there are a few versions of this device. Which one do you recommend?  Thanks, Dick
Dick, '03 U320 40' Tag, 2 slides, Coach #6075
Full Timers
2009 Honda CR-V

Reply #3
The tow car unit does not have any manual adjustments.
It has 3 suction cups on the backside which ideally should be firmly attached to the center of the windshield.

When the unit is powered up,  it instantly determines where it is placed and what is 'normal' for vibrations, if any.  It uses this info for a baseline.
It then knows which end is up and what angle the windshield has, so the software can determine front-to-back, side-to-side & up & down movements.

The receiver in the motorhome has a knob that goes from maximum sensitivity to minimum sensitivity. 
Turned all the way, it goes into a "Park" mode, which alarms for all movements.

With the knob at about 12 o'clock, or half-way, when I feel the motorhome going over a road bump, like at a bridge, a moment later I get one quick beep when the front tires of our Jeep cross the bridge, and then a moment later when the rear tires hit the bump.

The towcar unit measures how long the vibration lasts and if it is repeating, the receiver goes into a long alarm, instead of just the quick beep.

So to answer your question, it takes no measurable time to calibrate.  The units are both software driven.

Reply #4
When asked which model to buy, I had to go to Tattle-Trail web site to see what products they offer...

We have TTK-550, which is the only model for RV'ers.

(the other 3 models are for permanent installation, waterproof usage like boat trailers & short range like cars towing small trailers)

Reply #5
Sorry Barry, I saw that too right after I asked the dumb question.  :(
Dick, '03 U320 40' Tag, 2 slides, Coach #6075
Full Timers
2009 Honda CR-V

Reply #6
Actually Dick, I think it is not clear which model fits our needs and your question was logical.

The units ability to communicate back and forth to each other is one of the reasons this product works so well for RVers.
I think the short range model does not have all the features that the TTK-550 has.

We have not had any problems with our unit.  Always turned on when towing or connected.

And with the Park feature we turn it on every night after locking our Jeep.
In a Georga Coast campgroung last year, during a peak weekend, we were required to move our Jeep to a location on the other side of the campground. 
From this distance, Tattle-Trail let us know if anyone messed with our parked Jeep, even though we could not see our car.

So, it is always on duty, towing or parked, which is one of the reason, we like it so much.