Skip to main content

Topic: Radiator coolant capacity (Read 598 times) previous topic - next topic

Radiator coolant capacity
I have an 02 U320 with the 450, need to know to coolant capacity. I have a call into FOT but no call as yet. I will have it changed here in Oregon at a Cummins shop, do I need to know anything special to tell them. 50/50 coolant extended life...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Radiator coolant capacity
Reply #1

I have an 02 U320 with the 450, need to know to coolant capacity.

Any place on the web to find capacities? 

Yes - Barry's always-helpful site!

Reply #2
John, Do you presently have ELC in it ?  If its already got ELC and the coach is an 03 I don't know that it would need changing.  Its my understanding that ELC is good " FOREVER ". I did change mine after we had to drain it to replace other...

• D.H. Spoor
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
None are "good forever"!

Folks get misled with claims/specifications of "good for 600,000 miles" and don't read "..... add extender at 3 year or 300,000 miles", and "replace at 6 years or 600,000 miles".  That is true for Rotella ELC and Final...

Reply #4
Dan, thank you for reminding us that most products (except honey) have a shelf life.  Replacement of tires is another example of our motorhomes' maintenance that if done based on mileage could result in major damage or repairs.

Great observation!

;D

Reply #5
John

Cummins no longer recommends time-based ELC replacement.  Have them test the coolant chemistry and act accordingly.

Regards,

Brett

Reply #6

John

Cummins no longer recommends time-based ELC replacement.  Have them test the coolant chemistry and act accordingly.

Regards,

Brett

So -- now that I have just had my radiator flushed and...

• D.H. Spoor
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #7
amos, I am not trying to start a who-shot-john sort of dialog here on coolant maintenance. 

Clearly, it is possible to find different sourced for conflicting information.

From ...

Reply #8
George, can you give us the cost on the flush and fill at MOT, Doris and I will be at Xtreme in mid July and may have Mot do the flush and fill.

Reply #9

So -- now that I have just had my radiator flushed and filled with a time-based ELC

George,

I believe Brett meant "Cummins no longer recommends time-based ELC replacement"...

Don't replace ELC...

Reply #10
Comment to D. H. Spoor:  thank you.

Comment to Michelle:  thank you.

Answer to B.W:  We had a radiator leak to find and fix, but labor was $294.00, ELC $14.80 per each of 6 gallons,  the filter was $25.95 and 6 bottles of Bars stop leak were $7.98...

Reply #11
Thank's George, I will talk to Mot after we leave Xtreme.