Skip to main content
Topic: Radiator coolant capacity (Read 1280 times) previous topic - next topic

Radiator coolant capacity

I have an 02 U320 with the 450, need to know to coolant capacity. I have a call into FOT but no call as yet. I will have it changed here in Oregon at a Cummins shop, do I need to know anything special to tell them. 50/50 coolant extended life sound good. Does $500.00 sound to much including the coolant?. Any place on the web to find capacities?  Thanks John
02 U320
10 CR V

Re: Radiator coolant capacity

Reply #1
I have an 02 U320 with the 450, need to know to coolant capacity.

Any place on the web to find capacities? 

Yes - Barry's always-helpful site!

http://beamalarm.com/Documents/belts-filters-hoses/2002-2003-cummins-ism-450hp.htm

Michelle
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #2
John, Do you presently have ELC in it ?  If its already got ELC and the coach is an 03 I don't know that it would need changing.  Its my understanding that ELC is good " FOREVER ". I did change mine after we had to drain it to replace other componets.

Reply #3
None are "good forever"!

Folks get misled with claims/specifications of "good for 600,000 miles" and don't read "..... add extender at 3 year or 300,000 miles", and "replace at 6 years or 600,000 miles".  That is true for Rotella ELC and Final Charge (see www.finalcharge.com).  CAT ELC has more stringent requirements for adding CAT SCA, but the 3/6 is the same.

I went through this a few years ago with an '02 U-320, and very recently with an '03 U-270. 

And don't forget the generator!
Dan Spoor;  FTV 11082
Sold: 2003 34-ft U-270
(Sob!)

Reply #4
Dan, thank you for reminding us that most products (except honey) have a shelf life.  Replacement of tires is another example of our motorhomes' maintenance that if done based on mileage could result in major damage or repairs.

Great observation!

;D
Peter & Beth Martin
No Forrest? What have you done?
MC# 15890 until Dec 2016; FMCA #F329677
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #5
John

Cummins no longer recommends time-based ELC replacement.  Have them test the coolant chemistry and act accordingly.

Regards,

Brett
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #6
John

Cummins no longer recommends time-based ELC replacement.  Have them test the coolant chemistry and act accordingly.

Regards,

Brett

So -- now that I have just had my radiator flushed and filled with a time-based ELC at MOT does this mean I should have done something different?  I am aware of the need to add the extender at a given point in time.
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Reply #7
amos, I am not trying to start a who-shot-john sort of dialog here on coolant maintenance. 

Clearly, it is possible to find different sourced for conflicting information.

From http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/cooling/coolant/es_compleat/oat.html
QUOTE (in part)

ES Compleatâ„¢ OAT (Organic Acid Technology) is an organic acid fully formulated extended life Ethylene Glycol (EG) antifreeze/coolant. It is our answer to the maintenance demands of heavy duty diesel cooling systems. ES Compleat
OAT EG may be used with Extended Service Interval (ESI) water filters and ES Compleat OAT Extender and only requires reinhibition after three years, 300,000 miles (500,000 km), or 6,000 hours of operation.

Similar "words are found at http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/5-14.pdf

CAT ELC has the 3 and 6 year caveats plus periodic addition of CAT SCAs.

I believe in, and subscribe to, the idea of periodic maintence and change-out.  I also solidly believe in coolant testing annually.

Guess I'm guilty of "overkill".

To Geo Stoltz, IMHO you done right!

Dan Spoor;  FTV 11082
Sold: 2003 34-ft U-270
(Sob!)

Reply #8
George, can you give us the cost on the flush and fill at MOT, Doris and I will be at Xtreme in mid July and may have Mot do the flush and fill.
The selected media item is not currently available.Bill&Doris 97 U270 36'
University of Parris Island Class of 66
Semper Fi  Build# 5174 MC#17094

Reply #9
So -- now that I have just had my radiator flushed and filled with a time-based ELC

George,

I believe Brett meant "Cummins no longer recommends time-based ELC replacement"...

Don't replace ELC based on time/mileage, replace based on test results.  I don't think ELC can tell time  ;D

Michelle
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #10
Comment to D. H. Spoor:  thank you.

Comment to Michelle:  thank you.

Answer to B.W:  We had a radiator leak to find and fix, but labor was $294.00, ELC $14.80 per each of 6 gallons,  the filter was $25.95 and 6 bottles of Bars stop leak were $7.98 each.  We did get a 10% discount.  I don't have a calculator handy, so you will have to run your own total.  Your cost could be different.
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Reply #11
Thank's George, I will talk to Mot after we leave Xtreme.
The selected media item is not currently available.Bill&Doris 97 U270 36'
University of Parris Island Class of 66
Semper Fi  Build# 5174 MC#17094

Reply #12
I'm planning to flush and fill the coolant in my '02 U320 following Brett Wolfe's instructions and I'm looking for the total system coolant capacity.  In searching the forum I can't find this information for the ISM11 including in this thread which started with the same question.  There are a few references to the ISL having a 15 gallon capacity but nothing conclusive on the ISM11.  Hopefully someone here can provide the answer.  I'm planning to buy Shell Rotella ELC concentrate which is currently on sale at Tractor Supply.  Also looking for the capacity of the generator cooling system because I'll change that at the same time.  Thanks in advance.
George Mann
2002 U320 #5934
2017 Rubicon
2013 BMW GS
Waterford MI

Reply #13
Just get a couple of extra gallons whatever you get,you'll need it at some point,you have a 100K or more coach if it were mine
I would go with the Cummins recommended Fleetguard oat coolant and get the 50/50 and a couple of 100% gallons,it's more
dinero but it's the best for your engine in my opinion,would also check all hoses and replace any and all in question,it will be the last and only time you do this job.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #14
Some hoses can be found at Silicone hose.com,you'll have to order by size.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #15

When I changed. The fluids on my coach it did end up being 16 gallons. I replaced all the primary engine hoses on the radiator and transmission cooler. Was also planning on speaking silicone hoses and ended up going back with all Gates. They lasted 20+ years prior and will probably out last me. Never the less, I had borrowed and have since purchased a radiator vacuum fill tool. I highly recommend to get one by any means.
Amazon.com: OEMTOOLS 24444 Coolant System Refiller Kit, 5 Adapters, Eliminate...

Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #16
Scott, you keep costing me money. I received one last week.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #17
I've used my new one twice now.  Once on the frankenford and once on the daughters 2006 beetle. I am amazed how well it serviced the LS engine. You could actually hear air escaping the steam vents and being pulled out of the air entrapped areas of the radiator. Way too cool. The borrowed one I used on the coach made fast work of the service and I never had the initial service level drop for air escaping. Really a simple nice tool to use. Also you never spill a drop. Use an empty bottle for the exhaust hose after the first gallon. 👍👍
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #18
When I changed. The fluids on my coach it did end up being 16 gallons. I replaced all the primary engine hoses on the radiator and transmission cooler. Was also planning on speaking silicone hoses and ended up going back with all Gates. They lasted 20+ years prior and will probably out last me. Never the less, I had borrowed and have since purchased a radiator vacuum fill tool. I highly recommend to get one by any means.
Amazon.com: OEMTOOLS 24444 Coolant System Refiller Kit, 5 Adapters, Eliminate...

Scott thank you for the answer to my original question which is 16 gallons in total.  I haven't been able to find that information anywhere before.  Regarding the vacuum fill tool, I did see some videos on YouTube and in use it did collapse the radiator hoses under vacuum.  Given that there aren't really any long radiator hoses on our coaches because they are mostly just short couplers did that present any issues with the process?  I did order my replacement hoses and the elbow hose fitting for the transmission cooler that gets cut to length has a coil spring inside.  Did you leave the spring in it or discard it?  Also wondering since I already own a vacuum pump (for refrigeration work) do you think that that could be rigged up to do the same job or would it wind up ingesting some residual coolant?  Just thinking why buy another tool I may only use one time in my life...  I'll probably wind up buying it just the same... lol
George Mann
2002 U320 #5934
2017 Rubicon
2013 BMW GS
Waterford MI