Skip to main content
Topic: Door, 2001 U320  (Read 936 times) previous topic - next topic

Door, 2001 U320

Starting to have a problem opening the door, seems the latch only opens part way, leaving a second latch holding or it is not fully opening.
Have sprayed lube into the latch, that helped a lot but not solved totally.
Has anyone uncovered the door panel and gotten into the lock/latch system?
Thanks
Dave

Re: Door, 2001 U320

Reply #1
Yes I have and to get inside the whole door will mean a lot of screws around the inside window are removed. You then can remove the few that hold the inside cover.  You will find a deadbolt and an automotive style lock. I only use the deadbolt myself.  It will allow you to check the function of all the pieces.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #2
If it is still locked put a long flexible rod or slim jim in from left to right and push up on a small round washer type thing. It is connected to a rod that sometimes get stuck and will not unlock the catch. That worked on my '99 320. May have to remove some screws around door to get in to adjust
There are some adjustments possible.
Eric
Eric & Nancy
1999 36 Ft. U320 WTFE
2016 GMC Terrain

Reply #3
Dave,
On the frame side of the door opening, where the latch hooks, there is the big pin.  It is supposed to move when the door closes and the latch hooks onto the big pin.  It then moves.  It needs to move.  Sometimes it get dirth & hangs up preventing the door from opening or sometimes locking. 
Clean it and lube it.  Make it move.
Michael Baldacchino
'97 40' U320

Reply #4
??? :-[  ;) After LOCKING Myself out of coach several times at Camp FOT - Here is the Story

Seems the lower lock, this is the handle, has 2 "u" shaped catches - if the first one is not completely in the door will not open - PUSH on door to force it to click - Now this is all great if one is not 118# and 5'4" soaking wet and has to go into the FOT service dept to say "I've locked myself out again for the 4th time" to only get it is the locker not the door and a chuckle - UNTIL, YEA it did it on them, AH I was thinking I was a WIMP at least - -

Now if the door catches re: dead bolt is locked and one forgets and pulls on the handle - your locked out - push firmly on door in area where the dead bolt is and use key to turn dead bolt cylinder to unlocked: door will open -

If Dead bolt is not locked and the lower handle catches - again push firmly on door near the handle and edge of door to make it "click" - door will open -

Results lots of spray lub silicone and to remember to shut door firmly - Really just lub the latches regularly is all that is needed - otherwise find a FOT shop mechanic who won't chuckle too much - We've had fun with my locking myself out of our coach this week thou it's been too hot to be bothered with the pain of it, a cold beer would help too

Fun at Camp FOT  :P - only 102 degrees here today  :o

Virginia Cunningham
Motorcader # 16992
'99 U320 40'
'06 Black Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab