Skip to main content

Topic: Hot water tank flushing (Read 876 times) previous topic - next topic

Hot water tank flushing
For those of us who have a hot water tank...
We just flushed the new tank we installed 3 months ago.
We got lots of white stuff from the tank and some of the water was stirred up white color.
We always flushed our original tank about every 3 month,...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Hot water tank flushing
Reply #1
Yes, with an Atwood water heater, purchase a new Atwood nylon drain plug (about $1).  Particularly in an area with hard water, doing it 2-4 times a year is a good idea.

Turn off pressure water and shore water.  Open a faucet to depressurize the...

• Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:39:36 pm by wolfe10

Reply #2
Brett,
What's your advice on replacing the plastic plug with a brass one with a zinc attached ?
Harmful or just a waste of money?

Thanks,
John Fitzgerald, 1991 40' U300 SAI

Reply #3
If Atwood thought an anode was even neutral, they would offer it-- call it an additional profit center.  They do NOT.

And with the tank being aluminum, they do not recommend adding a dissimilar metal, particularly one less noble. 

So my answer is...

Reply #4
When I had water heaters, I used a cleaning wand that CW and others carry, that is essentially an 18" length of copper tubing attached to a hose connection through a shutoff valve.  It allows you to use a water jet to break loose deposits from...

Reply #5
BE SURE to turn off or disconnect the Hot water tank ELECTRIC HEATING ELEMENT before draining any water from the hot water tank.
A powered electric heating element will burn out immediately if not imersed in water.