Skip to main content
Topic: M11 Air Filter --Holy Cow (Read 1116 times) previous topic - next topic

M11 Air Filter --Holy Cow

Yesterday we drove about 10 miles over the dustiest roads I have ever seen here in Southeastern Kansas.  Two weeks ago I had a new air filter put in.  With my discount at MOT it was right around $100.  Knowing that this is a vital element in the performance department and not wanting to to buy another one right away I decided to investigate the mystery of this compartment.  That is the biggest honkin' air filter I have ever seen.

I used the on-board air hose to blow out the dust.  It was not bad at all -- much to my surprise. Next I used about four damp rags to completely remove all the caked dirt from inside the filter housing and then a dry cloth to dry it off.  I left it open for about 30 minutes before putting the filter back in place.  I hope this is standard procedure for MOT.  The caked dirt did not look like it had been there for years.

Do any of you periodically blow out the filter and wipe out the housing?

I also used a garden hose to wash off a LOT of dust.  I just could not leave it on the engine.
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Re: M11 Air Filter --Holy Cow

Reply #1
George, cleaning of the air filter is not recommended, the filtration can be reduced by 25% abd with each cleaning it is reduced more. Google cleaning heavy duty air filters for more info.
The selected media item is not currently available.Bill&Doris 97 U270 36'
University of Parris Island Class of 66
Semper Fi  Build# 5174 MC#17094

Reply #2
Bill,

Thank you.  I won't do that again, but I would consider cleaning the housing.  There was a LOT of caked dust inside.

The air pressue in my on board system was not very high.  In fact  it was so low that I switched to my little shop vac.  Some dry dust blew out.  I am glad I did not use my CO2 tank.  That has some serious pressure to it.
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Reply #3
It is hard to believe, but a dirty air filter (on dirty side only) is more efficent than a clean one!  And as B M said, it is not recommended to blow off a air filter in a attempt to clean it.  You end up getting dust on the clean side which ends up inside the engine - not good.  Infact it is best to just leave it alone until change time.  If you run extremely dusty roads, then you have to change it more often.  At change time you can clean the housing, ensuring that none gets into the intake!
1994 U225
build #4514

Reply #4
Don't blow it off to clean it.  If you are driving and get into a dust storm you will have to change it out sooner. I have pulled it out and cleaned out the compartment but the airfilter is left alone till I change it out with the new one. I have a spare in the basement right now in fact.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #5
O.K.  Now I am worried.  As you can see in my original post, there was not much dust.  However, I did blow from both sides %#@&.  There was not a lot of dust.  Should I order a replacement and swap it out soon?

What would you do?

Reply #6
Now I'm thinking I really screwed up.  Where is the best place to order a filter and have it sent 2nd day UPS to me here in Kansas?

Can NAPA get one for me?  I know that NAPA is pretty good about getting stuff within a couple of days.  We don't plan to drive until Thursday -- so I've got until Wendesday to get the replacement.

I found the filter numbers on Barry's great web site.

HELP

Reply #7
George,

Houston Truck Parts,  713.675.5694

WIX Air Filter 42610  $71.26  plus shipping
Rudy Legett
2003 U320 4010 ISM 450 hp
2001 U320 4220 ISM 450 hp
1995 U320 M11 400 hp
1990 Granvilla 300 hp 3208T
Aqua Hot Service Houston and Southeast Texas

Reply #8
Filterbarn.com

Big tapered air cleaner filter:
 Fleetguard AF-1838  $52.63
 Best price I have found...

It is where we buy all of our filters.

Great service, great prices...
 Crosses to WIX 42610: http://www.woodys-auto-supply.com/Fleetguard-to-Wix-filter-cross-reference.a sp

Reply #9
My solution:

I am going to NAPA in Fredonia, KS first thing in the morning.  The NAPA warehouse is in Kansas City so they should be able to order one for me and have it no later than Wednesday.

Whew!  Thanks to all of your good advice, I think I dodged a bullet. 

But I'd like to offer a suggestion.

Be more direct next time.  Many of you told me I should not have blown out the filter, but no one said:
George:  replace that filter BEFORE you start the engine.  You are risking damage to the piston rings!

Sometimes it is okay not to be so polite.

I am sure I am not alone in thanking so many of you for so much good advice over the past nearly two years. 

Special thanks to Rudy, John and Barry.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Got the new filter Monday morning at NAPA.  $127. Expensive lesson.