Skip to main content
Topic: Using OSPHO in the engine compartment (Read 927 times) previous topic - next topic

Using OSPHO in the engine compartment

My good friend Rudy Legett told me about OSPHO for treating rusty metal prior to painting.  There were several sections of rusted steel in my engine compartment that needed some attention.  I wire brushed and/or scraped them as best I could and then used my PowerTank (portable CO2 tank) to blow off all the loose debris.

Next I brushed on a liberal application of full-strength OSPHO.  The brush can be rinsed with water and re-used.  Tomorrow I will brush on some Rustoleum low glass black oil-based paint.  Should I look for something that can take high heat -- although I am not putting any paint on the engine itself?

In the photo, the shiny parts have been treated with OSPHO
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Re: Using OSPHO in the engine compartment

Reply #1
George,

I recently cleaned and put OSPHO on all my structural metal in the rear of the engine compartment.  I included the engine parts facing the rear of the coach which includes the flaked off paint I can see on your engine, the mounts for the alternator and A/C compressor too.  This killed all the surface rust and primed the area for paint.

I then painted flat black everywhere and ended up with a clean looking back side.  You have to look hard to see where the paint was flaked off of my engine.
Rudy Legett
2003 U320 4010 ISM 450 hp
2001 U320 4220 ISM 450 hp
1995 U320 M11 400 hp
1990 Granvilla 300 hp 3208T
Aqua Hot Service Houston and Southeast Texas