Skip to main content
Topic: M11 Fuel filter questions (Read 2221 times) previous topic - next topic

M11 Fuel filter questions

After reading of Michael Baldacchino's starting problems and filter considerations I decided to be pro-active and order two each of the fuel filters for our M11 engine.

That was the easy part.  My fuel filters are side by side.  the Fleetguard filter presently in place is a FS19592.  Barry's site says I need a FS1001.  I went to Filter Barn.  Can't find either. 

The other filter  is a WINN 200200.  Filter Barn does not carry these.  I Googled the part number and someone with a Monaco on iRV2.com said that part is no longer made.  I am not about to take the word of an SOB owner.

So -- where can I order two each of the filters I need and what are the part numbers?  Geez.  Can it get any more complicated?

Finally, which is the primary and the secondary filter?
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Re: M11 Fuel filter questions

Reply #1
George, The FS1001 or FS19592 will fit, I use the larger FS19592 on the engine.
For the Winn system, filter is Racor S3230T.
The Winn 200200 Is the plastic piece with the problem O rings.
Also I use the LF9000 instead of the LF9001 due to size.
hope this helps
Dave

Reply #2
I found what appears to be the proper winn filter at a  local filter speciality store, the filter was dusty and hard to find, last one but I did not think it was a good buy for $33 bucks so I called boatersworld.com  and will replace the winn system with the racor integrated retrofit system  RK12963  $107.94 this includes shipping with delivery in 3-5 days, the filters are easy to find . I hope this will work, you might want to research this app. to make sure.  jc 99 320
JC
1999 U320

Reply #3
The other filter  is a WINN 200200.  Filter Barn does not carry these.  I Googled the part number and someone with a Monaco on iRV2.com said that part is no longer made.  I am not about to take the word of an SOB owner.

George,
I could not find the 200200. I replaced it with the Racor 300200
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

Reply #4
DaveM said: The FS1001 or FS19592 will fit, I use the larger FS19592 on the engine.

On my 1996 U320 there is an FS19592 with a water seperator behind the engine start batteries, which I believe is the primary filter.
There is an FS1001 on the engine, below the air compressor and behind the alternator.
The FS1001 is larger than the FS19592 and looks like a large oil filter with a plastic (1" diameter) nut on the bottom.
The FS19592 is smaller than the FS1001 and looks like a large cut off oil filter with a cap assembly on the bottom. This assembly has a hose and a 12 volt wire. The FS 19592 and FS1001 could not be interchanged.

George's picture in Reply #1 shows the same water seperator and primary filter that I have, except his is beind the alternator, while mine is behind the battery.

I also would like to purchase fuel filters, perhaps even 6 or 8.

To make this even more confusing, my Foreravel manual shows primary fuel filter as WINN HF180 and secondary as FS1212.

There was mention of someone who carried several fuel filters with him, that could be my friend Rob Robinson from Victoria, BC. We had supper together last week and he urged me to obtain several fuel filters because he went through 6 in 500 miles after getting bad fuel at a "hole in the wall" station.

DaveM said: Also I use the LF9000 instead of the LF9001 due to size.

What is a LF9000?

Wyatt
Wyatt
96 U320 40 WTFE, build 4943
84 Toyota Supra towd
2015 Jeep Wrangler towd
Victoria, BC, Canada

Reply #5
What is a LF9000?
That is your Oil Filter Number
2003 U320 40' AGDS

Reply #6
 :) Let me throw my 2 cents in on this filter topic. I have a 01' U320 and ordered filters last night from the Filter Barn. In my manual it says I use a Fleetguard AF1838M air filter. That has been changed to AF1838 and listed on page 18 at Filter Barn. I also use the two fuel filters, FS19592 (don't recall what page) and FS1001 (page 96). My oil filter is now listed as LF9070 (page 92) changed from LF9001. Last is the coolant filter WF2077 (page 94). I loaded up on filters and saved the price of shipping. There is approximately 100 pages of Fleetguard filters listed and I had to look at every page to find mine. Took awhile but was worth it in the long run. I bought enough to last me at least 2 years.
When at first I was unable to find AF1838M I emailed Filter Barn and they got back to me within 16 hours advising me of the new number. I bought from them before and had good service, and at a very good price.
Jon Ohman
2001 U320 36'
Build #5809

Reply #7
Barry, I should could use a few of those 300200. Like others I was unable to find the 200200. Where did you buy yours. Thanks. Jon
Jon Ohman
2001 U320 36'
Build #5809

Reply #8
Barry, I should could use a few of those 300200. Like others I was unable to find the 200200. Where did you buy yours.

I will have to look up the receipt. i bought it 11/09.
I remember it was a truck parts house in Santa Fe Springs CA.

I know that this filter can be cleaned with solvent and reused.
Unfortunately I used the wrong solvent and the plastic got kinda soft :o
I hate when that happens  :-[
2003 U320 40' AGDS

Reply #9
NAPA indicates that their fuel filter #3005 is a replacement for the Racor S3203. Has anyone used the NAPA filter? Any issues? 

I picked one up and it is made by Wix (#533005).
Fred H.
1996 Foretravel U320 4000 Build #4993 (Previous motorhomes 1985 Airstream 345, 1977 Argosy 20)
Sevierville, TN
ViewRVs.com

Reply #10
NAPA indicates that their fuel filter #3005 is a replacement for the Racor S3203. Has anyone used the NAPA filter? Any issues? 

I picked one up and it is made by Wix (#533005).

Fred, we purchased all our filters from NAPA when we had our '98 and plan on doing that again with our 2000!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #11
Not all M11 engines are configured with the same filters.  Verify what you need for your specific filter configuration.

Reply #12
 Well the NAPA 3005 was not even close. I have the original filter assembly with the Racor S3203 filter. I started encountering a sputtering engine when going up hills on this trip. Otherwise, it ran just fine. I am well overdue for a fuel filter. I have put 10,000 miles on the coach since I bought it and I don't know when this filter was last changed. It was not changed when I had the engine and transmission serviced last.

I tried to get the old filter off today and it is completely stuck on the housing. Rather then throw time and money at the old unit, my thought now is to ditch the old assembly and replace it with the newer Racor 700 series. Until I can get it replaced, we'll be Kamping at the KOA! At least we are "stuck" at our destination and not in transit.
Fred H.
1996 Foretravel U320 4000 Build #4993 (Previous motorhomes 1985 Airstream 345, 1977 Argosy 20)
Sevierville, TN
ViewRVs.com

Reply #13
I just picked up spare filters from Cummins in San Antonio.I had checked with a NAPA in McKinnney Texas who had all the filters, similar to Cummins, except for big difference in a fuel filter. Couldn't find all needed filters on Amazon. Cummins had fair prices and the filters were ready for me when I arrived
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #14
I am guessing that the NAPA 3005 filter is the replacement for the Racor R90P once the retrofit kit has been installed. My hunch is that the 3005 has the drain built into it. Here are pictures of the two.
Fred H.
Sevierville, TN
ViewRVs.com

Reply #15
Personally I like the Parker style filter so you can see trash in the filter bowl. But use what makes you happy.

MIke
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #16
Personally I like the Parker style filter so you can see trash in the filter bowl. But use what makes you happy.

MIke

X2 on use what makes you happy-- I have been well pleased with the Davco 382 .  I like being able to visually monitor it so when fuel level gets within a couple of inches from the top it is time to change.  So far at about 4K miles it isn't to the half way mark
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #17
Well the NAPA 3005 was not even close. I have the original filter assembly with the Racor S3203 filter. I started encountering a sputtering engine when going up hills on this trip. Otherwise, it ran just fine. I am well overdue for a fuel filter. I have put 10,000 miles on the coach since I bought it and I don't know when this filter was last changed. It was not changed when I had the engine and transmission serviced last.

I tried to get the old filter off today and it is completely stuck on the housing. Rather then throw time and money at the old unit, my thought now is to ditch the old assembly and replace it with the newer Racor 700 series. Until I can get it replaced, we'll be Kamping at the KOA! At least we are "stuck" at our destination and not in transit.

I replaced our old Winn-style assembly with a Racor 790R30 two tears ago and have been well pleased with it. 
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #18
The NAPA number for the direct R90P replacement is : NAPA 3231.  It's made by Wix.  Woody.

I am guessing that the NAPA 3005 filter is the replacement for the Racor R90P once the retrofit kit has been installed. My hunch is that the 3005 has the drain built into it. Here are pictures of the two.
2001 4010 U320 build #5865 "Bluto-d-Bus" since 09/18
2006 Honda Element ESP Toad
Full timing since 2016 in Western MT
Copilot: Sitka
1975 GMC 260 Avion: sold

Reply #19
We did go forward with the replacement to the Racor 790R30. The Foretravel parts shop sent the part overnight to the campground.  We had the local diesel shop come out and do the replacement at the campground. The M11 engine fired up and we drove home without any issues. We also now have a working primer pump.  :)
Fred H.
Sevierville, TN
ViewRVs.com

Reply #20
Fred, glad you got it going. I hope your as happy with the Racor as I am with mine. A working primer pump.......... it's the simple things in life that make us happy ^.^d

Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #21
Glad you got it changed. Replacing the old Winn system with the new Racor filter was one of the better upgrades I've made. No more cold-weather fuel starvation issues!
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #22
I have a few questions regarding this fuel filter topic relative to an issue that's developed while doing filter maintenance this week.  I've had this typical maintenance done at a shop. Attempting to learn how to take care of this "beast" myself.

This week, doing filter replacements I found a problem with the primary fuel filter. The current setup is definitely not the "stock" setup. The origanal control box and primer switches have all been removed.

The current setup has a Donaldson P550691filter as the primary. The filter was extremely hard to remove, as you can see from the photo we crushed the can using pliers, (filter wrench wouldn't budge it).  I went to NAPA and their cross fit to their brand filter does not allow me to fully spin the filter up without significant force. This doesn't seem correct. The threads on the base appear to be OK, they don't look crossed. I have ordered the exact Donaldson filter online which will arrive soon and will try.

So the question:
1-  Should I reinstall an upgraded Racor 790R30 system, or other option with the capability to pump prime? Or is this setup OK to use?  I've not had any issues filling this filter again with fuel and getting the M11 started. However, it provides no view of the fuel, how can you judge the need to replace, (add a gauge?), what if I really need to prime to get fuel up to the engine?

2-  If the "new" Donaldson P550691 filter hangs up and cannot be easily snugged up then tightened, I will assume the mandrel base threads have an issue. Does this filter look like a WIX base? No number on the base unfortunately... Any ideas on how/where to get a replacement base, (is there a check valve in the base?). Did the wrong filter get installed on it???

I've looked at several very good forum threads on fuel filter options on the forum, lots of options... Anybody seen this Donaldson filter and base used?
Need the experts thoughts on this one...

Thanks in advance

Jeff & Kristen
2002 U320 build #6039
Living the Dream!

Reply #23
Jeff,

That filter base looks more like a filter base for a hyd. log splitter that was put on as a get by.  If the new filter you have ordered don't spin on with ease that leads me to think that either the center mount threads are damaged or that the filter has the wrong threads for the filter base.  In either case I would replace it so service can be done without fretting  as you don't need to have to order a special fuel filter if you are in a bind.  If you pick up a bad load of fuel you want to be able to change filters setting on the side of the road without a lot of trouble as you will be fit to be tied at this point.  The location of the filter is great of ease of access though.

If I was changing out filter bases I would get one that a replacement filter could be gotten at most any parts store or truck stop even though I carry a spare set of filters. The Racor 790R30 with the clear bowl (90 GPH flow) or the Davco 382 (180GPH flow) would either be a good replacement. If you went with the smaller  Davco 243 with 60 GPH flow would be starving the M-11 IMHO. You can pick up a used Davco off eBay or out of a truck wrecking yard and give it a good cleaning with new filter for about half price of a new one in the box so shop around.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #24
Thanks Mike,

I definitely WANT a Primary fuel/water separator that I can get filters for that are standard and easy to acquire, plus spares on-board. A bad fuel load and stuck on the road searching for obscure filters would not be good. I'm a bit nervous after having gone go NAPA and now have had two of their brand filters that didn't fit.
I found last night a Donaldson site that had the filter specs, so I now have an idea about the threads, etc. Looks like this is a primary fuel/water filter used for Cummins applications. I now have to figure out if I have a corrupted base and make a decision about the changeout.

Jeff
Jeff & Kristen
2002 U320 build #6039
Living the Dream!