Skip to main content

Topic: Cat 3126 Rebuild Odyssey (Read 2766 times) previous topic - next topic

Cat 3126 Rebuild Odyssey
Hello All
Been a while. This is how I spent my summer, besides racing.
Never imagined in my wildest dreams, I would be this deep into our coach.
Two trips south, and it starts smoking like Cheech and Chong out the blow by pipe. Didn't spit any oil...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:27:41 pm by wolfe10

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Cat 3126 Fail
Reply #1
Looks good.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Cat,  the gift that keeps on giving. It's looking good. 👍

Reply #3
So, you did have the block (cylinder #6) bored and then an insert/sleeve installed.  So, back to OE spec (vs something like .030 or .040" over)?

Good job.

Reply #4
Good for you! If the coach was a SOB, most of us would tow it to some vacant lot and rent it out. Not with a FT!  b^.^d

Reply #5
So, you did have the block (cylinder #6) bored and then an insert/sleeve installed.  So, back to OE spec (vs something like .030 or .040" over)?

Good job.

Yes. I could have had it bored in the...

Reply #6
Good for you! If the coach was a SOB, most of us would tow it to some vacant lot and rent it out. Not with a FT!  b^.^d

Even at that, I considered a nice river property, for it to live out it's...

Reply #7
Cat,  the gift that keeps on giving. It's looking good. 👍
Cummings have their issues too. Many have cracked blocks and heads. Not un-common....
Remember, if you have a motor home, you have...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Cummings have their issues too. Many have cracked blocks and heads. Not un-common....
Remember, if you have a motor home, you have a problem, you just don't know what it is yet!  >:D
Yep you are...

Reply #9
Comp cam, a little port work, bigger turbo, methanol injection and give Barbie a run for the money!

Reply #10
Comp cam, a little port work, bigger turbo, methanol injection and give Barbie a run for the money!

LOL...Great minds think alike!
And a bigger converter,some deeper gears and a transbrake!

Reply #11
Yep you are correct. It's all fun and games till you get tired of the negative cash flow😬😎
Life IS a negative cash flow.... :))
There are NO pockets in caskets.

Reply #12
Those baby cats are trouble. I wish they used 3406's in our RVs.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
3406 might be a bit too heavy.

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
3406 might be a bit too heavy.
About 1000 lbs more than a M-11

Reply #15
Great.  With my coach # being only 2 newer than yours, our engines were probably delivered to FT in the same shipment.  I just passed 100k miles so your story & pics give me something new to worry about for a while.  You had mentioned to me in...

Reply #16
Great.  With my coach # being only 2 newer than yours, our engines were probably delivered to FT in the same shipment.  I just passed 100k miles so your story & pics give me something new to worry...

• Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:03:50 pm by gracerace

Reply #17
The PO might have used ether on a warm engine, easy way to break a ring. After changing fuel filters, many are tempted if it does not start right away. Ring land wear is greater on engines with few oil changes and can allow the rings to flex...

Reply #18
Did you have to remove the rear cap? I think mine will come out the bottom if I dig a hole.

Reply #19
Did you have to remove the rear cap? I think mine will come out the bottom if I dig a hole.
I'm about to experiment with our U300 and make a cut on both sides next to the engine door and...

Reply #20
I'm about to experiment...
You will, of course, post photos!

Reply #21

Came right out the back, plenty of room with the head off, made a custom cradle. Took the oil...

Reply #22
The PO might have used ether on a warm engine, easy way to break a ring. After changing fuel filters, many are tempted if it does not start right away. Ring land wear is greater...

Reply #23
My 3208 cat was only a little grumpy, when i had to fire it up in an emergency, block heater not plugged in, no ether, 15 outside. It's going to be in a 40+ heated insulated coach house from now on.

Reply #24
My 3208 cat was only a little grumpy, when i had to fire it up in an emergency, block heater not plugged in, no ether, 15 outside. It's going to be in a 40+ heated insulated coach house...