Skip to main content
Topic: Cat 3126 Rebuild Odyssey (Read 3559 times) previous topic - next topic

Cat 3126 Rebuild Odyssey

Hello All
Been a while. This is how I spent my summer, besides racing.
Never imagined in my wildest dreams, I would be this deep into our coach.
Two trips south, and it starts smoking like Cheech and Chong out the blow by pipe. Didn't spit any oil out, just lots of blue smoke, but zero out the tail pipe.
We could have lived with that, but 1 qt of oil every 75 miles was a bit too much.
So down to the nitty gritty. The Caterpillar 3126 2 valve engine was a one year only motor in 1996/1997. They had a tendency to break piston rings. Many were fixed under warranty back when they were new.That is what happened to our motor. At 115K, it broke # 6 oil ring.
It scared the cylinder wall so bad, it was beyond repair. May have been this way for a while, but just got worse. Who knows.
So out comes the block to get sleeved. Sad, because the motor is perfect inside. Looks brand new. No codes, no loss of HP, no loss of boost. Just smoke and oil consumption.
The head also had a minor crack, but wasn't causing any issue. So rebuilt turbo, new rings, bearings one new piston skirt (they are 2 piece) and a good donor head which was rebuilt. We will now be as good as new (or better). Also replacing all the hoses, coolant & belts.
Head is done, block has new sleeve. Waiting on machine shop to finish the boring of the sleeve, and honing all the cylinders with the honing plate in place.Then a hot tank job.
I am a freak when it comes to engine detail, so every part has been cleaned and painted.Engine bay is cleaner since I took the pic shown.
More news and pictures later when she is back together running.
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Re: Cat 3126 Fail

Reply #1
Looks good.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #2
Cat,  the gift that keeps on giving. It's looking good. 👍
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #3
So, you did have the block (cylinder #6) bored and then an insert/sleeve installed.  So, back to OE spec (vs something like .030 or .040" over)?

Good job.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #4
Good for you! If the coach was a SOB, most of us would tow it to some vacant lot and rent it out. Not with a FT!  b^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #5
So, you did have the block (cylinder #6) bored and then an insert/sleeve installed.  So, back to OE spec (vs something like .030 or .040" over)?

Good job.

Yes. I could have had it bored in the coach. It would have taken a 50 thou piston, and that was cutting it close (pun intended). But only 40 thou max piston is available. Couldn't even get one made.
It will be right now.
Chris

Reply #6
Good for you! If the coach was a SOB, most of us would tow it to some vacant lot and rent it out. Not with a FT!  b^.^d

Even at that, I considered a nice river property, for it to live out it's life. LOL....So many people said trade it off. But I would never do that to anyone.
Told my wife, "We can't sell it this way, and we can't use it, so we need to fix it"
The people I bought it from, stopped by this summer in their new FT, and it bummed them out. It wasn't their fault. 1st trip south it was fine.
We'll be all in at 3K for everything, and we'll have a fresh engine. Cat wanted 20K. Going to spiff my buddy a few hun for helping. But we have been trading work anyway
Best part is, it's so easy to work on. Lots of bolts and parts, but not really rocket science.
Seeing the motor inside, it's pretty basic, and well thought out. With it's roller lifters etc.

Chris

Reply #7
Cat,  the gift that keeps on giving. It's looking good. 👍
Cummings have their issues too. Many have cracked blocks and heads. Not un-common....
Remember, if you have a motor home, you have a problem, you just don't know what it is yet!  >:D

Reply #8
Cummings have their issues too. Many have cracked blocks and heads. Not un-common....
Remember, if you have a motor home, you have a problem, you just don't know what it is yet!  >:D
Yep you are correct. It's all fun and games till you get tired of the negative cash flow😬😎
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19

Reply #9
Comp cam, a little port work, bigger turbo, methanol injection and give Barbie a run for the money!
1998 36' U295 Mechanical 8.3

Reply #10
Comp cam, a little port work, bigger turbo, methanol injection and give Barbie a run for the money!

LOL...Great minds think alike!
And a bigger converter,some deeper gears and a transbrake!

Reply #11
Yep you are correct. It's all fun and games till you get tired of the negative cash flow😬😎
Life IS a negative cash flow.... :))
There are NO pockets in caskets.

Reply #12
Those baby cats are trouble. I wish they used 3406's in our RVs.
95 U300SE

Reply #13
3406 might be a bit too heavy.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19

Reply #15
Great.  With my coach # being only 2 newer than yours, our engines were probably delivered to FT in the same shipment.  I just passed 100k miles so your story & pics give me something new to worry about for a while.  You had mentioned to me in the past that you had this issue but I didn't realize it took that much tear-down to fix it.  I don't think I could attempt the repairs myself so I hope I never have to make that decision.  Hat's off to you for tackling it.

Reply #16
Great.  With my coach # being only 2 newer than yours, our engines were probably delivered to FT in the same shipment.  I just passed 100k miles so your story & pics give me something new to worry about for a while.  You had mentioned to me in the past that you had this issue but I didn't realize it took that much tear-down to fix it.  I don't think I could attempt the repairs myself so I hope I never have to make that decision.  Hat's off to you for tackling it.

I wouldn't worry. As many people that don't like the Cat, there are plenty that do. The 3126 engine is a good durable engine if maintained properly.Oil changes are most important because of the Heui pump.
They got a bad rap, and are called "Throw away motor's" because they don't have cylinder liners. If they did, it would have been easier to do the repair.Easier to rebuild for truckers.That doesn't make them throw away, it just means they have to be bored or sleeved out of the coach or truck.
I don't run it hard,service the heck out of it. It pushes the MoHo fine.
Like I said, the engine looked like new inside, it was just a broken ring.Just a bad deal.
Chris

Reply #17
The PO might have used ether on a warm engine, easy way to break a ring. After changing fuel filters, many are tempted if it does not start right away. Ring land wear is greater on engines with few oil changes and can allow the rings to flex beyond the breaking point with ether.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #18
Did you have to remove the rear cap? I think mine will come out the bottom if I dig a hole.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #19
Did you have to remove the rear cap? I think mine will come out the bottom if I dig a hole.
I'm about to experiment with our U300 and make a cut on both sides next to the engine door and right underneath (where you can't see it) the aluminum strip that goes around the corner. I will lay some glass over a 1/8" flat bar that will also go from the engine door and then around the corner. The bumper (everything below the engine door can then be removed and then everything taken out of the way so the engine can be worked on or removed. Screws under the trim will partially keep it in place and the existing screws on each side also making it very secure. Pretty easy modification.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #21

Came right out the back, plenty of room with the head off, made a custom cradle. Took the oil pan and oil pump off 1st. Going to completely assemble the engine, turbo and all, just no pan or pump. Installing with a fork lift. We measured it, plenty of room.
I converted a place on the back of my car hoist with a platform, to assemble it.
Crank in, roll on side, piston's/rods in, stand straight up complete assembly. Then put the bell housing on, hanging off the end of lift
The crank is flush with the bottom of the block
Chris

Reply #22
The PO might have used ether on a warm engine, easy way to break a ring. After changing fuel filters, many are tempted if it does not start right away. Ring land wear is greater on engines with few oil changes and can allow the rings to flex beyond the breaking point with ether.

Pierce

You never know, but it has a great fuel primer, so that is never a problem. It has been a southern coach, Texas and California all it's life. Always starts easy in sub zero here
PO owner has 50 tractors, he is pretty smart about diesels on his farm.
Chris

Reply #23
My 3208 cat was only a little grumpy, when i had to fire it up in an emergency, block heater not plugged in, no ether, 15 outside. It's going to be in a 40+ heated insulated coach house from now on.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #24
My 3208 cat was only a little grumpy, when i had to fire it up in an emergency, block heater not plugged in, no ether, 15 outside. It's going to be in a 40+ heated insulated coach house from now on.

The 1st winter after our purchase, we sold our old coach. Part of the deal was they got to store it inside our heated shop.We leave at Christmas anyway.
I find if I use the block heater, it actually starts harder. The block heater warms the engine enough the "wait to start" feature turns off (plenum heater). So then it's a bugger to get running.