Skip to main content
Topic: RV garage (Read 3867 times) previous topic - next topic

RV garage

I'm still researching RV barn and am nearing a solution.  Our city planning department "threw a wrench" into things, in that the over all height for the setback we want would be 15'.  Since the roll up doors require 22" above opening, that leaves me with a 12' tall door opening.  Is this feasible?
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Re: RV garage

Reply #1
Depends on the height of your coach.  Have you looked at side folding doors?  May increase the opening height.

Keith
Keith, Joyce & Smokey the Australian Cattle Dog
1995 U320 SE Extreme 40' WTBI Build # 4780, with a Honda CR-V hopefully still following behind.
Motorcade # 17030
FMCA # F422159

Reply #2
Some overhead doors are available with low clearance track option
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #3
Depends on the height of your coach.  Have you looked at side folding doors?  May increase the opening height.

Keith
I am not aware of side folding doors.  Swinging doors on hinges?
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #4
My overall height (top of front A/C cover) is 11' 3" in travel mode.  With 9 inches actual clearance I should be fine.  I'm not concerned about a future property buyer with a 13' coach that's 45' long.
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #5
These are the doors I made for our barn.  Center sections are 4" narrower than the outer ones.  This lets them fold open more than 90°.  You need a good sized flat place to build the doors. Mortise and tenoned frames glued, clamped square. Concrete blocks to hold them flat.  Then glue and nail the skin on, Concret pe blocks again to hold the flat until glue dries.

Reply #6
That was a heck of a job Roger.  I know from experience that it was much more difficult than you described.  When considering "barn doors" I thought about how much weight would be on the hinges;  adding more and then folding does a lot to alleviate that problem.  I can imagine how much fun they were to hang (straight)!  Others can't appreciate how much went into this project, if they haven't attempted something similar themselves.  "My hat's off to you".
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #7
This was my solution on a limited budget. Over 20 years of use. new tarp every 7 to 8 years.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #8
Thanks, Sven.  Lots of thinking and planning before anything else.  The middle hinges went on to the two halves with the doors on the floor.  All of the ouside hinges got mounted to the doors.  Sitll on the floor.  A couple helpers, lots of wedges, get it in place and then lots of screws.  3/16" gaps all around. About 1/4" at the center.

Reply #9
I have also seen very low clearance vertical accordion doors where the panels accordion to the exterior. I would have saved a fair amount on my coach house with a 13' tall door, instead of my 14' door and 16' ceiling. Once the sidewalls hit 16' they have to be stamped by a structural engineer here in town. No regrets as I can walk nearly vertical across the coach roof if needed.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #10
You can get sectional high lift doors as we use them on our commercial buildings, they would work.
Jim Busby
2015 IH

Reply #11
Some people call them aircraft doors. Custom trusses are an option or instead of a peaked roof just a slanted flat roof with enough slope for run off is an option.
Toby a 94 u280
Cummins 8.3
6 speed Allison
Exhaust brake

Adopted by Derek and Annabelle

Reply #12
Roger, can you show me where the back door is?
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #13
I have a 12' opening on my roll up and need 11' 7'' clearance.  Just make sure your installer can use the full 12 feet and that the door is fully retracted.  It's a pain mount since most use the header beam of the door framing and full clearance requires lifting the unit higher.  Good luck!
1999 U320 40ft no slides #5580
Jeep Rubicon Unltd. 6sp with M&G & breakaway
VMSpc & Pressure Pro 10 pack  Koni FSDs TRAV'LER sk-1000

Reply #14
Five doors.  Front and rear and one side are swing doors,  16' and 10' sliding doors on sides. Rear door was sized so that the engine hatch will open.  Big side slider opens up to allow access side bays.

This was the maximum allowable size we could build, 14x40x12.  Just big enough.

Reply #15
This was the maximum allowable size we could build, 14x40x12.  Just big enough.
Your coach barn is a marvel of efficient engineering.  Did you consider those "restrictions" when you bought the coach, or did you just luck out?
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #16
I have a CHI overhead door with the Low Headroom option on my shop.  It is 14'3" high and only needs 11" of headroom.  They can be ordered in 3" height increments.
Dave and Kelli
1997 U295 40' Build #5188 CSGI
1995 U240 36' Build #4621 SBID-SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Reply #17
We are still  going through the permitting process with the city on our garage.  Because this  is a high fire hazard area, I had to get an endorsement from the fire marshal (we were on a strike team together in '03) with regard to set back from the property line and house.  Not only with my structure be metal and stucco (non combustible), but I also have install a sprinkler system, which requires me to change out the water meter to a 1" line ($1800).  The final dimensions will be 20'x44' and just under 15' tall with 12x12 with a manual sectional roll up door.
 I will put a sub panel in that will allow for 30A  and some 20A outlets.  Has anyone had experience wiring a detached garage?  Presently I have a 30A outlet at the house (outside garage wall) that I use for charging the coach.  I plan to put in a junction box there and running wire underground (22" deep if I remember).  The distance will be about 25'.  Will 10ga wire do?  I need to put something down for the permit and will get an electrician later.
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #18

Awesome job on that build Roger!  You did a great job of thinking it all through! ^.^d
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #19
Sen,  go with #8 for that Length and be safe.  The cost difference is not much  and you will have a nice steady voltage.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #20
Hey, Craneman, I've been to Sven's house. He'd never get away with your setup.....or what you have in your yard!!!
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #21
Chuck asked, "Your coach barn is a marvel of efficient engineering.  Did you consider those "restrictions" when you bought the coach, or did you just luck out?"

We never thought about which coach vs possible barn size.  If I did it today I probably could have gotten a variance and done 16 x 50.  We were looking for indoor storage.  Getting access when we wanted was hard.  Getting the coach out when we wanted was worse. So we started looking at building our own.  We had room.  We did the best we could with the available size at the time.  Just like most projects, consider every need, find solutions.

Sven, length is from the source panel following how the wire is routed to the sub panel.  Mine was maybe 40 ft in a straight line but at least 80 as wired.  Do a 30 amp, 220v circuit.  Don't skimp on wiring,  pretty soon you're going to want to plug in a compressor.  And put in way more lighting and outlets than you think you might need.  Easiest to do all of this up front.

Reply #22
Hey, Craneman, I've been to Sven's house. He'd never get away with your setup.....or what you have in your yard!!!

I'm in the same boat.
My neighbors HATE seeing the Foretravel on my property. I'm sure they checked out all possible means to have me remove it but nothing in the books to make me. I live on a corner, that makes it worse.
If I erected a tent setup like that pictured they would come at me with torches, a noose, and tar and feathers.
1995 U320C SE 40'
Jeep 4x4 Commander - Limited - Hemi
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms instructor - Handgun/shotgun
Regional Firearms instructor for national Armored Transp. Co.

Reply #23
Sven, what Roger said, distance to source power is of vital importance for any intelligent recomdation. Is your 30 amp in the garage a 240 volt receptical? My guess is it's just 120 volt if that's what you plug the coach into. It would be nice to pull the coach out of the garage and run one roof a/c unit for guest or maintenance, so you have to add that wiring distance, can't run roof a/c unit very long inside garage before it craps out. Going have to zero in on your expectations to make a recommendation.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #24
Sven how far is it from the breaker box to the 30 amp plug you are using?  then add that to the distance you intend to run, by code it may be OK but realistically you may be on the edge.  Personally, if I could get away with it I would run a #8 the whole distance to be safe.  Breakers are for wire protection, but running small wire can also cause your AC to let the magic smoke out if wire overheated and breaker didn't trip.
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR