Skip to main content

Topic: RV garage (Read 3169 times) previous topic - next topic

RV garage
I'm still researching RV barn and am nearing a solution.  Our city planning department "threw a wrench" into things, in that the over all height for the setback we want would be 15'.  Since the roll up doors require 22" above opening, that leaves...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• Keith and Joyce
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: RV garage
Reply #1
Depends on the height of your coach.  Have you looked at side folding doors?  May increase the opening height.

Keith

Reply #2
Some overhead doors are available with low clearance track option

Reply #3
Depends on the height of your coach.  Have you looked at side folding doors?  May increase the opening height.

Keith
I am not aware of side folding doors.  Swinging doors on hinges?

Reply #4
My overall height (top of front A/C cover) is 11' 3" in travel mode.  With 9 inches actual clearance I should be fine.  I'm not concerned about a future property buyer with a 13' coach that's 45' long.

Reply #5
These are the doors I made for our barn.  Center sections are 4" narrower than the outer ones.  This lets them fold open more than 90°.  You need a good sized flat place to build the doors. Mortise and tenoned frames glued, clamped square....

Reply #6
That was a heck of a job Roger.  I know from experience that it was much more difficult than you described.  When considering "barn doors" I thought about how much weight would be on the hinges;  adding more and then folding does a lot to...

Reply #7
This was my solution on a limited budget. Over 20 years of use. new tarp every 7 to 8 years.

Reply #8
Thanks, Sven.  Lots of thinking and planning before anything else.  The middle hinges went on to the two halves with the doors on the floor.  All of the ouside hinges got mounted to the doors.  Sitll on the floor.  A couple helpers, lots of...

Reply #9
I have also seen very low clearance vertical accordion doors where the panels accordion to the exterior. I would have saved a fair amount on my coach house with a 13' tall door, instead of my 14' door and 16' ceiling. Once the sidewalls hit 16'...

Reply #10
You can get sectional high lift doors as we use them on our commercial buildings, they would work.

Reply #11
Some people call them aircraft doors. Custom trusses are an option or instead of a peaked roof just a slanted flat roof with enough slope for run off is an option.

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Roger, can you show me where the back door is?

• rwhoffmantx
  • [*]
Reply #13
I have a 12' opening on my roll up and need 11' 7'' clearance.   Just make sure your installer can use the full 12 feet and that the door is fully retracted.  It's a pain mount since most use the header beam of the door framing and full clearance...

Reply #14
Five doors.  Front and rear and one side are swing doors,  16' and 10' sliding doors on sides. Rear door was sized so that the engine hatch will open.  Big side slider opens up to allow access side bays.

This was the maximum allowable size we...

• Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:31:25 am by Roger & Susan in Home2

Reply #15
This was the maximum allowable size we could build, 14x40x12.  Just big enough.
Your coach barn is a marvel of efficient engineering.  Did you consider those "restrictions" when...

Reply #16
I have a CHI overhead door with the Low Headroom option on my shop.  It is 14'3" high and only needs 11" of headroom.  They can be ordered in 3" height increments.

Reply #17
We are still  going through the permitting process with the city on our garage.  Because this  is a high fire hazard area, I had to get an endorsement from the fire marshal (we were on a strike team together in '03) with regard to set back from...

Reply #18

Awesome job on that build Roger!  You did a great job of thinking it all through! ^.^d

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Sen,  go with #8 for that Length and be safe.  The cost difference is not much  and you will have a nice steady voltage.
JohnH

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Hey, Craneman, I've been to Sven's house. He'd never get away with your setup.....or what you have in your yard!!!

Reply #21
Chuck asked, "Your coach barn is a marvel of efficient engineering.  Did you consider those "restrictions" when you bought the coach, or did you just luck out?"

We never thought about which coach vs possible barn size.  If I did it today I...

Reply #22
Hey, Craneman, I've been to Sven's house. He'd never get away with your setup.....or what you have in your yard!!!

I'm in the same boat.
My neighbors HATE seeing the Foretravel on my property. I'm...

Reply #23
Sven, what Roger said, distance to source power is of vital importance for any intelligent recomdation. Is your 30 amp in the garage a 240 volt receptical? My guess is it's just 120 volt if that's what you plug the coach into. It would be nice to...

Reply #24
Sven how far is it from the breaker box to the 30 amp plug you are using?   then add that to the distance you intend to run, by code it may be OK but realistically you may be on the edge.  Personally, if I could get away with it I would run a #8...