Skip to main content
Topic: RV garage (Read 3866 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RV garage

Reply #50
Total bullshit I am sorry whatever DA came up with the sh** rule is totally ignorant about reality of the very very narrow combustion.window of gaseous mixtures at the same time a spark might occur from defective panel. Engineers reign supreme over code inspectors and fire department officials (AHJ's)  as clearly stated in any code as an engineered design. AHJ's typically have only a high school degree and minimal amount of continuing education classes put on by guess what, various vendors while they consume their steak and lobster dinner. If you want a real eye opener read the limitations on the $$$$ life safety devices such as fire/smoke dampers. End of rant. Overly prudent engineers design terraplanes, real engineers design airplanes.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #51
I would like two fingers of whatever phred is having please. Neat, no ice. Thank you.
Luke & Sandy (still many work years to go...)
1999 U320 36 Build #5387
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Previous 1997 Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour 35WQ major interior remodel
Previous several SOB trailers, Class C, fifth wheels.

Reply #52
Calm down Phred.  We may not agree with all of the rules but we have to comply if we want to move forward in a timely manner.  I did all of the structural calculations for my barn from soil loads to footings to wind and shear loads, headers and trusses. I submitted all of this to the building inspector who was impressed.  It was a pretty good working relationship after that.  I think they respect builders who know what they are doing.  If you treat the inspectors with disrespect you are going to have a hard time getting your project done.

By way of disclosure I have been a real engineer by training and practice for more than 50 years.

Reply #53
Back to the wire size and subpanel issue. 3% voltage drop is normal for conductors downstream of panels. Panelboard wire size are based on  CB size to protect the wire. Probally never see max load or voltage drop only after an extended power outage. Circuit breakers are sized as the MAXIMUM OVERCURRENT PROTECTION DEVICE (MOCP) or MFS maximum fuse size. To try to protect the end user this is based on inrush current. Wire size is typically based on the MCA rating to a appliance. This is known as diversity. Is it safe to have 42 20 amp breakers in a 200 amp panel yes. Ignorant AHJ
or installing contractor may tell you otherwise.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #54
"Overly prudent engineers design terraplanes, real engineers design airplanes."

John Dillinger and Baby Face Nelson drove Terraplanes.
Terraplane - Wikipedia
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #55
I would like two fingers of whatever phred is having please. Neat, no ice. Thank you.
It is what it is, AHJ's can't respond to that question honestly maybe a problem there based on other $$$$$$ influence, we don't offer that period.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO