Skip to main content

Topic: Fuel hose replacement post (Read 849 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel hose replacement post
Well I am about to wrap up (hopefully) the fuel hose replacement on my coach and as promised a write up of my experiences. This is my experience, and yours may be different.
As you might recall, I had to do this when after running out of fuel on...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Fuel hose replacement post
Reply #1
additional pics

Reply #2
Nice write up with pictures is outstanding. Thank you for sharing.

Reply #3

Bob, those covers were a problem for me also. I had to use some self tappers and make additional holes. I don't remember seeing anything like that plug, but if it was hooked to something I probably wouldn't have noticed it.
 Nice job and much...

Reply #4
Yes difficult is the starting point on that I would say. In the end I put some timber to it and a hydraulic jack to get it up next to the ceiling, then started putting the self tapping screws back in. I had to put new holes in, and i'm sorry I...

Reply #5
I used large area washers and like you more screws. That was 3 years ago and they have not fallen yet.

Reply #6
Bob, very nice looking job. I appreciate the in depth details you included. This job is on my todo list for this winter.

Larry

Reply #7
Nice job Bob, and a great one to have behind you as well!  Did you use push lock style fittings with your trident hose? 

Reply #8
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your write up with details on parts and photos, Bob.  Also, congratulation on tackling this yourself.  Often, we don't know what we can do until we make the attempt (also good to know your limitations).  I...

Reply #9
You have to leave the old hoses in place and pull the new hoses through, to do it that way. After I did mine, someone posted how to do it that way. If I had read the post, that is the way I would have done mine. There was a fiberglass tool they...

Reply #10
I have one like this although mine has 4 - 5' sections.  Every time I use it I am glad I have it. It was invaluable pulling two new 4/0 cables from the rear to the front of the coach
Greenlee Glow Rod, 5 ft to 15 ft, Fiberglass 540-15 | Zoro.com

Reply #11
Here is the post that came in too late for my hose change out. Wouldn't you know it would be Dave and Gary that came up with it.
Older coach fuel lines - 95 Foretravel - update

Reply #12
If you take the time to install expandable braided sleeving over your new hose, it makes it super easy to pull the hose to the back. While I have only used it for RG-6 and an HDMI cable, the procedure is the same. As I previously posted, I was...

Reply #13
When using a double hose barb to connect the two hoses, they should follow the same path, and therefore unless they are securely banded together, which I did not find to be the case, will go thru no problem. The problem areas are the bulkheads,...

Reply #14
Bob,

Make sure your engine feed hose didn't come off the generator fitting on the tank as it stops picking up a few inches up inside the tank and 15 to 20 gallons will only raise the tank level 3 or 4 inches.

Something like a MitiVac can pull...

Reply #15
Bob,

Make sure your engine feed hose didn't come off the generator fitting on the tank as it stops picking up a few inches up inside the tank and 15 to 20 gallons will only raise...

Reply #16
Good write up.
FYI
I used a cheap garden hose/drill motor pump to prime. I adapted it to a male flare fitting, pumped fuel up to the engine, right through the filters. Started right up.

It is a job, all though on our 97. The covers are metal, was...

Reply #17
So finally got the hose to prime today and ran the engine for around 20 min or so. There were some issues.
First my Racor 790R30 fuel filter/pump wouldn't work. Found the wiring harness to be badly corroded inside the connections that have  a...

• OSIN
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #18
Great story, hope I don't need to do it anytime soon, but at least I know how!

A few days ago I sourced my Fuel lines for the Aquahot from West Marine, which is a USCG Approved line. The original lines inside the unit were hard as a rock.

Reply #19
Thank you Journey,Roam,Explore. Our "on the job training" and the valued input from others should help others in the future. 

Important reminder for those having this maintenance ahead of them.  Always safety block chassis and tires.  Always slow...

Reply #20
So, the big question is why didn't Foretravel put steel fuel lines in like buses, cars etc? This fuel line problem will catch everyone eventually.

In the dark, cracks are hard to see and my go unnoticed.

Applying several PSI to a fuel line at the...

Reply #21
Thanks for that blast from the past reminder. Seem like a long time ago now. It's funny I just threw away the final return line hose that had been laying in my driveway for a while coiled up in a corner. I wish I had bought the sheath to go over...