Skip to main content
Topic: The cost of technology (Read 1307 times) previous topic - next topic

The cost of technology

Since the purchase of direct tv by AT&T the service from my perspective has got so bad I am getting a divorce from them. I will be left with one option DISH, there will be learning curve and a lot of work to make it happen. When we built our coach we specified direct because it worked well and that's what was in our 3 prior coaches. Come to find out it's not a easy switch, I have a traveler for direct and a tracvision in motion set up for direct. I will have to convert the traveler for about 300.00 and from there it only gets worse. Because we use the dvr daily as we travel and the fact that all 4 of the televions are controlled by the iPad with many interfaces software is going to be written by firefly to make it all work seamlessly as It did at delivery. With two dvr systems that are operated by the house WiFi and controlling of each tv and all the recordings along operating everything through the system it's about a 3 thousand dollar conversion when finished. With pride being what it is, there is no going back now. Programming has began and the parts are ordered. So if you have a late model coach and think of changing and want to keep all the bells and whistles get ready to spend some money. Seemed things were a lot simpler in 1980.
Ahall
2018 ih 45

Re: The cost of technology

Reply #2
The direct tv guys in Costco were really aggressively promoting their service over my wired service at our home. 

My understanding is that Dish can be started and stopped for shorter terms I hope is correct?

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #3
After 15 yrs of service with DTV in our home my
wife and i dumped them. 200 ch and couldnt
find anything to watch a lot of times.
  We put a 40 dollar antenna on the roof
and get 19 free channels. Now 3 years later
im still happy with this decision.
  I get offers weekly in the mail still from
them. wanting me to come back.
  This was us of course.. YMMV
  The older i get the more technology frustrates me.. Especially built in obsolesence.

Reply #4
My understanding is that Dish can be started and stopped for shorter terms I hope is correct?
True, we have the 'Tailgater' system and have canceled and re-upped many short times and up to six months. A simple call works fine; nice people, all speak English. They charge $5.00 a month to keep you in the system.  ^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #5
We had Dish for 20 years or so at our S&B.  Actually had an 8.5' c-band dish for a few years.  Used Dish while we were full timing but found we weren't watching much.  When we bought our current S&B we now are streaming what we want when we want (WWWWWW as the younger generation likes to use abbreviations).  In the FT we use the OTA antenna when available or watch movies from our large collection.  Or as I prefer, just read from the hundreds of books I've downloaded from Kindle.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #6
Dropped the home phone almost 20yr ago and dropped tv almost 6yrs ago.. dont miss either..

Dont see why people waste time with TV... Crap in Crap out...I have my own reality show in my life so dont need to watch anyone else.

Reply #7
Dropped the home phone almost 20yr ago and dropped tv almost 6yrs ago.. dont miss either..
Dont see why people waste time with TV... Crap in Crap out...I have my own reality show in my life so dont need to watch anyone else.
Have to say there is not a lot of good programming on most satellites and broadcast TV but it's nice to get the weather and watch for any alerts in your area.

If you have a WiFi card, there are free or low cost alternatives like Acorn, MHz and even Netflix where much of the programming is high quality from the U.K., Europe, OZ and NZ. Acorn even gives you free local news from many stations is the U.S. and overseas.

Yes, we dumped our Tailgater long ago.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #8
We like the 'classics':
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #9
Yes, nothing like Robert Osborn when he was hosting Turner Classic Movies! Love the old B&W Perry Mason too. 1939 was the best year films ever had with 1940 close behind.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #10
We dumped DTV a couple of years ago after 20+ years due to the lack of customer service. We now have a Dish Mobil account. It allows us to change our locals and make programming changes in line online. As others have said you can also turn it on and off if you don't need it for a while.
        I feel for you, it's aggravating to have to go through all the changes just to watch Tv, not to mention the expense. The TV over the internet is a good option as long as you have an internet connection and unlimited data.
        Good luck on your quest getting everything to talk to each other.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #11
"Seemed things were a lot simpler in 1980."

Yeah and you had to get up and change the channels, got more exercise that way. 😁😁😁

Roland
1993 U280 4341
2010 Jeep Liberty
The Pied Pipers

Reply #12
I have had Direct since I think they started.  I guess I have not had any dealings with them to see if better or worse.  I read all of the horror stories tho.

What did they do to you Ahall?
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #13
Since the purchase of direct tv by AT&T the service from my perspective has got so bad I am getting a divorce from them. I will be left with one option DISH, there will be learning curve and a lot of work to make it happen. When we built our coach we specified direct because it worked well and that's what was in our 3 prior coaches. Come to find out it's not a easy switch, I have a traveler for direct and a tracvision in motion set up for direct. I will have to convert the traveler for about 300.00 and from there it only gets worse. Because we use the dvr daily as we travel and the fact that all 4 of the televions are controlled by the iPad with many interfaces software is going to be written by firefly to make it all work seamlessly as It did at delivery. With two dvr systems that are operated by the house WiFi and controlling of each tv and all the recordings along operating everything through the system it's about a 3 thousand dollar conversion when finished. With pride being what it is, there is no going back now. Programming has began and the parts are ordered. So if you have a late model coach and think of changing and want to keep all the bells and whistles get ready to spend some money. Seemed things were a lot simpler in 1980.

I feel your pain, I went through a similar frustration about a 2 month's ago. I am still shaking my head in disbelief.
We have an in-motion also for travel, and a Traveler for HD when parking.

You realize you don't have to change out the Traveler? Dish will be HD on a dome dish. I would sell the traveler, buy a Winegard T4 in-motion, it will do both. That is my plan. I see them on the internet for $600.00-$800.00.

Our DTV contarct comes up in March, we will see what they will do for us, or it's by, by to them.

Here was my posting:
Directv nightmare
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #14
If there was any way to get NASCAR without DTV or Dish I would dump DTV in a heartbeat. We can get a great deal from Spectrum in our area, but can't get enough cable to follow the coach. Maybe the streaming is an option but out of my skills to get it on the TV.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #15
If there was any way to get NASCAR without DTV or Dish I would dump DTV in a heartbeat. We can get a great deal from Spectrum in our area, but can't get enough cable to follow the coach. Maybe the streaming is an option but out of my skills to get it on the TV.

If you are worried about missing anything i can help....left hand turn... another left hand turn and so on...

Reply #16
I mentioned this before but if you have WiFi then get a Roku.  Connect it up and you have free TV (also can watch subscription sites). We watch stuff on at almost exclusively.  You can get YouTube on it and that has just about everything uploaded to it.  There is always someone, including the networks, uploading the latest programs to it.  In addition to regular TV there are an uncountable number of videos on how to do anything.  Latest addiction is Thomas Johnson Antique Restoration's videos.  After he finishes an incredible job his Yankee enthusiasm rises to "Looks pretty good"  As a Yorkshireman he is a man after my own heart.

Keith

Roku

https://www.youtube.com/user/johnsonrestoration/videos
Keith, Joyce & Smokey the Australian Cattle Dog
1995 U320 SE Extreme 40' WTBI Build # 4780, with a Honda CR-V hopefully still following behind.
Motorcade # 17030
FMCA # F422159

Reply #17
If you are worried about missing anything i can help....left hand turn... another left hand turn and so on...
Yep, but I want to know who is making the turns and how fast is he making them. My sentiments on golf, hit the ball go chase it and hit it again until it falls in a hole, then repeat.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #18
Yep, but I want to know who is making the turns and how fast is he making them. My sentiments on golf, hit the ball go chase it and hit it again until it falls in a hole, then repeat.

Touche

Reply #19
I'm also curious of what the issue actually was. We haven't had any issues with AT&T on the road nor DTV in our home. In fact we have had fewer service interruptions with DTV than we did with Charter/Spectrum. 

My traveler in the coach is kaput and has to be replaced. So we are trying out a stand alone manual setup. (to be delivered next Wednesday) With the new restrictive throttled back cell accounts they call unlimited. One can be unlucky in a heavy use snowbird area and get stuck with old modem speeds.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #20
One can be unlucky in a heavy use snowbird area and get stuck with old modem speeds.
OR, 'NO MODEM SPEEDS', which happens to us when all you Snow/Rain Birds come in after a long cruise and overload our el cheapo, badly set up wi-fi network. :D  We had to sit my Uncle Jack, owner of the KOA Flagstaff down years ago and explain to him what 'campers' wanted these days. He was dragged, screaming ,into reality!
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #21
I've hired and fired them all... Pees in a pod I say. Always better offers for new subscribers than a 10 year customer, pees me to no end. I have a ROKU rig and Direct with in motion on the coach I have now Keith but haven't tried to use it yet.. I will get one of the young uns to get it running for me I suppose.. I have no interest in tech but like a couple hours tv before bed. I never would get 1 out of the 4 tvs on that Ahall has in his rig.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #22
OR, 'NO MODEM SPEEDS', which happens to us when all you Snow/Rain Birds come in after a long cruise and overload our el cheapo, badly set up wi-fi network. :D  We had to sit my Uncle Jack, owner of the KOA Flagstaff down years ago and explain to him what 'campers' wanted these days. He was dragged, screaming ,into reality!

That's why I can't see solely relying on cell service and streaming multiple Gig's per day for Telly or Tunes.

I figure that we have paid for 7 months of DTV service by using a black out curtain and curtain rod from Home Depot $50 for the front windshield and NOT having a 1CB MCD remote control day/night shade system installed.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #23
Ahall,  We have had Directv for 20 years and it works quite well for us.  All systems have issues.  Our Winegard Traveler finds all 3 sats everytime, our SWM Geni works fine.  Looks like you understand SWM and should be able to get your stuff together.  Nice to be able to record some internet on-demand sources.

What problems are you having that are making you leave what you understand?  The next choice may have its own problems.

Reply #24
"Tis better to light one candle than curse the darkness"

I guess I don't understand the rejection of technology by the generation that created it.  Why not embrace it for what it is, the new paradigm, and bend it to your needs.  Whether it's directv, ip protocols or cyberknife these technologies have changed the world for the better.  No, I don't long for the old days, they would be dark days for me for without modern tech I would be blind.

"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS