Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator cooling unit change out (Read 1817 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Refrigerator cooling unit change out

Reply #50
Good point on the Samsung internal inverters efficiency.

I have most but not all the electronics needed for a residential refer future installation.

Having my buddy put them in coming up.

ME- BMS, ME-ARC, ME-AGS and a ME solar controller.

$1,500?  Worth of stuff.

Then even more solar.  Lots more money.

I intend to add more 8g8d's as they can be slow  charged without plate damage unlike most AGM'S.

Or I would have to majorly mod the charging system to get the 1/5th C necessary to avoid battery damage to AGM's.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #51
Remember that a big part of my decision to do this conversion is because the cooling unit that failed is under warranty, so the new one is no cost to me except installation. 
I would also like to add that the reason WE chose to go with the JC conversion is because we have the cat condo access point underneath our refrigerator.  Installing a full size Samsung is not an option as long as we have cats.  We didn't want to have to manufacture cabinets around a smaller residential.   

The 12V conversion was not an option at the time of our installation last May.  If the 12V compressor had been available,  we might have gone with that.  As it was, we were the very 1st coach to get the new 120 conversion for our type refrigerator. 

I, too, am looking forward to hearing your reports about the 12V version.  ^.^d
The selected media item is not currently available.Amanda and Douglas
Lily *meow* (RIP 7/19/23) and B.T. *meow* (RIP 9/12/18)
1997 U320 40' - "Brawley"
Motorcade #17266
Escapee #113692

Reply #52
Exactly Amanda- we do what makes sense for our lifestyle.          ^.^d
Ted & Karen
2001 U270 36' - sold after 12 years full timing

Reply #53
My heater  draws a lot more than my Fridge (39W)  . If the heater runs  at 45* ambient, the batteries(220AHR usable ) are 12.3 after  10hrs.
 Without the heat running  the same volt reading takes 30hrs or more , just the refer. 

Reply #54
Thanks Mike- do you have a residential Fridge or absorption?
Ted & Karen
2001 U270 36' - sold after 12 years full timing

Reply #55
Small resi .  Look back at "what refer fits through the door."

Reply #56
It would be very interesting to see a comparison of the efficiency of the JC Refrigeration compressors with the high-efficiency inverter compressor Samsung uses.

The bottom line is how much power does it take to run whatever refrigerator you have to the internal temperatures you want.  The 120v JC conversion and our Samsung us 65-70 watts per hour.  The Samsung is almost twice as big and we do not have to defrost it.  And our Samsung with a 5 year extended warranty cost less that the JC conversion kit especially after selling the Dometic we took out.

Whatever works for you is your best choice.

Reply #57
The bottom line is how much power does it take to run whatever refrigerator you have to the internal temperatures you want.  The 120v JC conversion and our Samsung us 65-70 watts per hour.  The Samsung is almost twice as big and we do not have to defrost it.  And our Samsung with a 5 year extended warranty cost less that the JC conversion kit especially after selling the Dometic we took out.

Whatever works for you is your best choice.
I completely agree! I know I would never want to go back to an absorption unit, and I would never again spend the cost of a new refrigerator in order to put a new cooling unit in an old box.
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186