Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator cooling unit change out (Read 1829 times) previous topic - next topic

Refrigerator cooling unit change out

It's my turn to ask for some help.  Our refrigerator bit the dust and the cooling unit is still under warranty from JC Refrigeration.  After some good discussions with JR I decided to change over to the new 12 volt compressor cooling unit instead of the absorption.  It is covered under warranty and is now on the way to me here in Yuma. 

Does anyone know a good shop or mobile service in Yuma area that they would recommend to me for this change over?  I have watched the video and realize that I do not have all the tools needed for such a change and that I am not comfortable doing it.  Not to mention that Karen is 7 weeks out from her knee surgery so a project in our home is not a good option.  One of the downsides of being full time is that sometimes I have to bit the bullet and hire work to be done.  I am willing to pay for the install but I want someone experienced with refrigerators to do it.  Any and all of your help is greatly appreciated.
Ted & Karen
2001 U270 36' - sold after 12 years full timing

Re: Refrigerator cooling unit change out

Reply #1
 Are you in Yuma now?  If so you might ask around the RV park as there is usually someone that can do it,  help you do it or refer you to someone that can do it.

Did JR have a recommendation?

Reply #2
Thanks T-man.  I am asking around but also thought someone on the forum might have used someone good here.  ^.^d

They just have a list of RV repair places but no experience with them.  I have learned, sometimes the hard way, it is better to get a referral from someone who has had experience with someone.  Not a guarantee, but better than calling  blind.     
Ted & Karen

Reply #3
Good luck with your new cooling unit  We had our Dometic cooling unit replaced in Shipshewana in 2013 and it lasted until early 2018. At that point I replaced the Dometic with an 18 cu ft Samsung and the difference in space and cooling ability is remarkable. I really wish I would have converted to a Samsung back in 2013!
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #4
Hilco RV Supplies & Services treated me right several years ago.
Address: 190 S Avenue B, Yuma, AZ 85364
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 4PM

Phone: (928) 783-6671
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD
Retired, Snowbird, Full time Off Grid

Reply #5
What was the cause of the failure?  I was considering making a trip to have mine replaced, but maybe not if they don't last more than a few years.
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #6
What was the cause of the failure?  I was considering making a trip to have mine replaced, but maybe not if they don't last more than a few years.

I don't really know. The flame was still normal as was the heat output of the electric element. The refrigerator simply stopped cooling as it should. The refrigerator section was perhaps the temperature of a wine cooler while the freezer section was perhaps the temperature of a refrigerator. Since the overall unit was 23 years old and the storage capacity (especially in the freezer section) was barely adequate for our needs--and even at its best an absorption refrigerator is somewhat marginal in typical summer temperatures the solution was fairly obvious.
David and Carolyn Osborn
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #7
Not sure what happened to ours.  JR thinks there is either a blockage in the tubes or a leak- doesn't matter as it does not work right and needs to be replaced.  I like the idea of the 12 volt unit as I don't need to run an inverter to power this.  There are marine style refrigerators and living off the grid units using similar technology, but since my unit is under warranty I will update with the conversion from JC Refrigeration.  This unit should use about the same power as a 60 watt light bulb so my solar set up and batteries should allow us to boondocks as usual.  Time will tell.                ^.^d
Ted & Karen

Reply #8
Not sure what happened to ours.  JR thinks there is either a blockage in the tubes or a leak- doesn't matter as it does not work right and needs to be replaced.  I like the idea of the 12 volt unit as I don't need to run an inverter to power this.  There are marine style refrigerators and living off the grid units using similar technology, but since my unit is under warranty I will update with the conversion from JC Refrigeration.  This unit should use about the same power as a 60 watt light bulb so my solar set up and batteries should allow us to boondocks as usual.  Time will tell.                ^.^d
Hope it works well!  Overall, with the high efficiency of midern inverters and residential refrigerators to me it only makes sense to switch to a residential refrigerator with solar power.
David and Carolyn Osborn
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #9
The residential refer installation and equipement can turn out to be very expensive.  $10k
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #10
The residential refer installation and equipement can turn out to be very expensive.  $10k
Please tell me how you can possibly spend that much.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire (4523)
Cummins ISM 450HP
Allison 4000 MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Reply #11
David- there is no one way that is right or wrong, in my opinion.  We are accomplishing the same thing- going electric instead of absorption.  In my case, doing this conversion makes the most sense.  I don't have to do any cabinet alterations, already have solar, have my 2 8G8D batteries which should be fine for my needs, and if not, my generator works well.  My only cost since I am under warranty is the change over labor.

As our friend Dave M. always said- do what makes you happy.                    ^.^d
Ted & Karen

Reply #12
David- there is no one way that is right or wrong, in my opinion.  We are accomplishing the same thing- going electric instead of absorption.  In my case, doing this conversion makes the most sense.  I don't have to do any cabinet alterations, already have solar, have my 2 8G8D batteries which should be fine for my needs, and if not, my generator works well.  My only cost since I am under warranty is the change over labor.

As our friend Dave M. always said- do what makes you happy.                    ^.^d
I conpletely agree!
David and Carolyn Osborn
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #13
If you had oem parts in a late 90's coach you might  need a battery temp full wave inverter.  And a remote panel and installation and three or four new condition agm's gels and $2-3k worth of solar installed then the refer and install.

A auto gen start is needed plus probably a advanced control panel and a solar controller.

What parts you already have or if you roll your own would lessen the money.

100-125 amp hours extra battery discharge per 24 hours seems to be the norm reported.

Would recommend either lifeline agm's or mk gels. 

If you run the gen 24/7 or travel pole to power pole the power useage is not as noticeable.

I purchased a heavy duty slider setup to allow mounting 2 more mk 8g8d's on top of my three.

Problem is the alternator and charger will slow charge that many batteries.  Not the recommended 20% of capacity.

Neither will the alternator at 160 amps.

Slow charging can sulphate the plates in non gel batteries so my choice of Lifelines is the only agm's that can be equalized.

Most inverter/chargers do not have a dedicated program for Lifelines with the .2 volt lower voltage setting they need and most do not have the correct profile to equalize the Lifelines.

Magnum does.

Frankly for guaranteed 35 degree refer temps I use my domestic chest freezer under the coach.

60-70 amp hours rough extra consumption running the compressor on the chest freezer.

No cooling fan.  Less door opening.

Foretravel is-45 has a 340 alternator and two inverters to charge at 250 amps and six 4d gels to run the coach and auto gen start for sure

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #14
Only Bob would spend $10K putting in a residential refrigerator.  We put our Samsung in ourselves for under $1000 and used it for two years before adding solar and other changes, none of which were required for the residential refrigerator.  We made those changes by our choice to increase endurance and off grid capability.  Even with all of that including the residential refrigerator we came nowhere near $10K.

And like many we used Victron equipment, Bob's favorite hate mongering subject.  Maybe that is why we didn't spend $10K. And ended up with a better result.

Reply #15
Humm,  is it me or has this jumped clear off the rails? Just saying.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #16
Bob, North Idaho RV
He has a place there and works all winter
208 660 4450
John B
208 640 0538

Both insured, both excellent, and highly recommended. Going to be less then a shop, both are mobile
Bob will be in the local "White Sheets"

Tell them I referred you
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #17
I'm well under 1000  even with the second alternator.  Runs fine for 24hrs between charges of the 2 8D .

Reply #18
Following    :D
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #19
My residential was $800 labor for Parliament to install. and the counter depth Hair 33" wide was on sale at Greggs for $1,250 - Just over $2K for residential. Added solar later, but really don't freak out if I have to run a 12,000 - 20,000 hour generator a couple of times a day for two hours, or find a power pole. Other folks ever want to run the generator in the name of peace and quiet.

Different strokes for different folks.  "Do what makes you happy".

I will interject that I have yet to hear someone on the forum say (gee I wish I had my abosrobtion refrigerator back" after putting in a residential. I also took out my propane 2 burner stove and went induction - I do run the generator when I use that for more than a few minutes if not plugged in. Got back a REALLY big storage compartment when I took out the propane.

Roger kept his two burner stove but went to a much smaller propane tank and put another bank of batteries in that space. It is a really big space when you take out that tank!!!
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #20

Yup it is off the tracks and into the ditch in a Flash.  Simple enough to stay on topic for most.

Reply #21
IF you were a prepper in shaky town would you replace a running absorption refer? 

Or like to dry camp in quiet desert areas that is so quiet that your ears ring from the city high background noise you are used to.

Or dry camp with friends with tents where the noise is objectionable. 

Or where others are downwind of your diesel smells?

Having to run the gen several hours a day.

Nice that some here assume cheaper is better.  Short term yes.  Maybe.  Long term?  No.

Running non equalizeable agm's and not running them to float almost every day and/or not charging them at the 20% manufacturer spec rate  for keeping the batteries from losing capacity is much more expensive long term.

Foretravel sold a matching system always. 

It's an rv.  Not a park model.

Original design to dry camp for several days with no gen. 

Tell me again how the solar and batteries and inverter were free? 

Takes a lot of gen run time or a lot of solar the replace several hundred amp hours used in a day.

Oh you do not mind the noise or smells or fuel use or gen maintenance.  No problem.

If I leave the chest refer off in mild weather I can live fairly normally for up to three days.  No gen run time.  No noise.

But most do not live in shaky town.  As a 5 year old I went through the 53 Bakersfield earthquake.  Threw me on the floor.  Woke up half way to the floor.  Can still relive it like it happened to this moment.

Tried to stand up.  Knocked me down  8.3.  Last great quake.

Two to three weeks minimum to get food and water to so cal.

If your lucky.  So the coach is walking distance.  Full everything when parked. 

My training is to not lessen what Foretravel sold new. 

A park model is not capable of four season dry camping or extended use without re provisioning.

As far as Victron I wanted more than Foretravel sold electrically.  Stock was a 2500 watt non sine wave non battery temp controlled inverter charger.

Call me old fashioned or stupid but a hard to service 2200 watt made in India cheaper unit is not my or any other manufacturers offering.

No program to run Lifelines which should be run with non conforming charging rates for much longer battery life.

Or gels to not be harmed by incorrect charging rates.

I told countless customers that "the mark of any rv is how it dry camps without running the gen on internal water.

Most who convert their coaches cannot dry camp for several days with no gen.

We and the Fores were rv'ers.  No power pole.  Internal supplies.

No paint as bushes damaged it.  And it made the coach hotter in the sun.

Like I said no Indian made non serviceable components please. 

Yes it's cheaper.  And has a color tv to run it.  That's nice.

My local high volume rv service places owner installed a replacement absorbation unit on his domestic side by side.

He laughed about installing a residential refer in our shaky town somewhat isolated area in so cal. No.

We understand the limitations.  Most have no need or want for what we want/need.

$2k worth of long life new batteries.  $2k worth of inverter.  $2k worth of solar. Plus the refer. 

Nice if you can do your own work but the parts cost is above. 

Not buying non American non serviceable non spec parts. Period.

If you have more batteries can you charge them at 1/5th C?  Or equalize them?  Or did you reinstall what was oem on every Unicoach?  Mk gels?  They can take a lower charge rate without damage and do not need equalizing.

Sorry.  A lot of rv'ers assume cheaper is better.  Oh it does not last as long?  And gave less service?

If someone posts a build where everything matches the original engineering or better I would love to see it.

Not knowing all this is one thing.  Knowing all this and still doing the setup less than optimum is a different decision.

Almost universally in my experience if someone says "it's less expensive" I have learned to ask "what is missing?  What corners did you cut?"

Just a purist.  Not a price buyer.  Had to fix too many poorly done rv's long ago.

If I was appraising most coaches I see I would deduct for non correct systems.

Way easier to sell and show if you can show prospective buyers everything is done correctly and can be shown.

Done this hundreds of times and used hundreds of coaches at random to go rving. 

But my cell phone was on 24/7/365 for my customers.  Still is.
Cut no corners and the phone never rings.  The other ways cost too much repeat business.

Could not afford to not engineer my coaches sold less than perfect.

The frugal folks are legendary in the rv biz. 

Countless stories. 

Like the led g4 lights.  The cheap ones died quickly in use.  "But they were less money?"

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #22
Bob
I think I was in that same earthquake, I was 4 or 5 years old and lived in Shaffter Cal, my Dad worked at the cotton seed mill. My mom decided we would move back to Arkansas very shortly after the earthquake and been here ever since.
Small world.
Ron Clark
Sherwood,Arkansas
1999 U 295 40 foot Build # 5550
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Motorcade # 18173
FMCA # F485593

Reply #23

I will interject that I have yet to hear someone on the forum say (gee I wish I had my abosrobtion refrigerator back" after putting in a residential.

I have recently heard someone rethinking his Residential Refrigerator install after spending some time boondocking at Quartzsite. He also was unfortunate and lost his previous coach to a fridge fire not a cooling unit failure but a faulty gas valve which had just been installed hours before.
Doug W.
96 36' U270 CSGI #4946
04 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
PNW

Reply #24

If someone posts a build where everything matches the original engineering or better I would love to see it.

Bob you can always boondock where there are no people. Here is a unit Built by Foretravel with the residential refrigerator, gas electric cooktop, diesel heaters and electric water heater. All in 1981 I can get the build number off it if you want.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean