Skip to main content

Topic: Refrigerator cooling unit change out (Read 1135 times) previous topic - next topic

Refrigerator cooling unit change out
It's my turn to ask for some help.  Our refrigerator bit the dust and the cooling unit is still under warranty from JC Refrigeration.  After some good discussions with JR I decided to change over to the new 12 volt compressor cooling unit instead...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Refrigerator cooling unit change out
Reply #1
 Are you in Yuma now?  If so you might ask around the RV park as there is usually someone that can do it,  help you do it or refer you to someone that can do it.

Did JR have a recommendation?

Reply #2
Thanks T-man.  I am asking around but also thought someone on the forum might have used someone good here.   ^.^d

They just have a list of RV repair places but no experience with them.  I have learned, sometimes the hard way, it is better to get a...

Reply #3
Good luck with your new cooling unit  We had our Dometic cooling unit replaced in Shipshewana in 2013 and it lasted until early 2018. At that point I replaced the Dometic with an 18 cu ft Samsung and the difference in space and cooling ability is...

Reply #4
Hilco RV Supplies & Services treated me right several years ago.
Address: 190 S Avenue B, Yuma, AZ 85364
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 4PM

Phone: (928) 783-6671

Reply #5
What was the cause of the failure?   I was considering making a trip to have mine replaced, but maybe not if they don't last more than a few years.

Reply #6
What was the cause of the failure?   I was considering making a trip to have mine replaced, but maybe not if they don't last more than a few years.

I don't really know. The flame was still...

Reply #7
Not sure what happened to ours.  JR thinks there is either a blockage in the tubes or a leak- doesn't matter as it does not work right and needs to be replaced.  I like the idea of the 12 volt unit as I don't need to run an inverter to power...

Reply #8
Not sure what happened to ours.  JR thinks there is either a blockage in the tubes or a leak- doesn't matter as it does not work right and needs to be replaced.  I like the idea of the 12...

Reply #9
The residential refer installation and equipement can turn out to be very expensive.  $10k

Reply #10
The residential refer installation and equipement can turn out to be very expensive.  $10k
Please tell me how you can possibly spend that much.
Bill

Reply #11
David- there is no one way that is right or wrong, in my opinion.  We are accomplishing the same thing- going electric instead of absorption.  In my case, doing this conversion makes the most sense.  I don't have to do any cabinet alterations,...

Reply #12
David- there is no one way that is right or wrong, in my opinion.  We are accomplishing the same thing- going electric instead of absorption.  In my case, doing this conversion makes the...

Reply #13
If you had oem parts in a late 90's coach you might  need a battery temp full wave inverter.  And a remote panel and installation and three or four new condition agm's gels and $2-3k worth of solar installed then the refer and install.

A auto gen...

Reply #14
Only Bob would spend $10K putting in a residential refrigerator.  We put our Samsung in ourselves for under $1000 and used it for two years before adding solar and other changes, none of which were required for the residential refrigerator.  We...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
Humm,  is it me or has this jumped clear off the rails? Just saying.

Reply #16
Bob, North Idaho RV
He has a place there and works all winter
208 660 4450
John B
208 640 0538

Both insured, both excellent, and highly recommended. Going to be less then a shop, both are mobile
Bob will be in the local "White Sheets"

Tell them I...

Reply #17
I'm well under 1000  even with the second alternator.  Runs fine for 24hrs between charges of the 2 8D .

Reply #18
Following    :D

Reply #19
My residential was $800 labor for Parliament to install. and the counter depth Hair 33" wide was on sale at Greggs for $1,250 - Just over $2K for residential. Added solar later, but really don't freak out if I have to run a 12,000 - 20,000 hour...

Reply #20

Yup it is off the tracks and into the ditch in a Flash.  Simple enough to stay on topic for most.

Reply #21
IF you were a prepper in shaky town would you replace a running absorption refer? 

Or like to dry camp in quiet desert areas that is so quiet that your ears ring from the city high background noise you are used to.

Or dry camp with friends with...

Reply #22
Bob
I think I was in that same earthquake, I was 4 or 5 years old and lived in Shaffter Cal, my Dad worked at the cotton seed mill. My mom decided we would move back to Arkansas very shortly after the earthquake and been here ever since.
Small world.

Reply #23

I will interject that I have yet to hear someone on the forum say (gee I wish I had my abosrobtion refrigerator back" after putting in a residential.

I have recently heard someone...

Reply #24

If someone posts a build where everything matches the original engineering or better I would love to see it.

Bob you can always boondock where there are no people. Here is a unit Built by...