Skip to main content
Topic: Metal on Front Wheel Oiling Bearing Magnet. Normal? (Read 2351 times) previous topic - next topic

Metal on Front Wheel Oiling Bearing Magnet. Normal?

See photo for metal shavings on the front wheel oiling bearing magnet. Is this amount normal?

The bearings, races and seals were just replaced 2,200 miles ago. The oil quality looks good.
1997 U270 34FT Build 5140 Cummins 8.3 Allison 3060R
Solar 1920Watts, 14KWH lithium. Orion BMS.

Re: Metal on Front Wheel Oiling Bearing Magnet. Normal?

Reply #1
First thing I would do is call the shop and find out how good he cleaned everything,if that is from 2,200 miles ago you have a problem.Should be no metal.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #2
Agree......trouble ez a commin.
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #3
The oil quality might look good as the magnet took all the "metal flake" out of suspension. I would talk to him plus call other shops that do this kind of work. That much metal might be found in a transmission drain plug magnet after many thousands of miles. If the parts were really clean, I would not expect a new set of inner/outer wheel bearings to generate this many shavings in many thousands of miles let alone 2200 miles.

This this the bearing you were recently having a problem with?

Pierce

Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #4
Excellent work checking it.  ^.^d  ^.^d  ^.^d Most would have waited for a failure.

I'll send you the password for viewing my travel slides from the last 70 years. :D  :D  :D  :D

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #5
Need IMMEDIATE SERVICING  (replacing of both bearings and races).
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #6
Good thing you checked it. Why did you have it out after only 2,200 miles?  Were you having problems?
Steve DeLange
2005 U320T 40'
Pearland, Texas

Reply #7
See photo for metal shavings on the front wheel oiling bearing magnet. Is this amount normal?

This bearing, race and seals were just replaced 2,200 miles ago. The oil quality looks good.
Should read "The bearings, races and seal . . ."
I'd go to a different shop and source the bearings and races myself.  There are different quality levels for bearing specified by precision.  That and I'd replace the cleaned plug and check it again soon.

When in doubt go to the source for information.
Precision Tapered Roller Bearings | The Timken Company

SKF is another name I trust.

Tapered roller bearings

Happy reading.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #8
According to axletech, this is normal, especially during break-in.

https://www.axletech.com/at-admin/resources/analyzing-contaminants-on-magnetic-drain-and-fill-plugs-v1-002.pdf

The metal filings should be removed whenever the cap is removed.

I also asked Red Tractor for his advice.

I'll also jack the axle, spin the wheel and listen for unusual bearing noise.

Reply #9
What kind of a front wheel bearing cap has a magnet?  Is this in place of our red plastic Stemco plug?

I am not aware of a magnet in the front Stemco hub.

Reply #10
That is not normal at all for a front wheel bearing. The link is referring to a differential axle bearing where gear wear occurs. That metal had to have been left in the hub when that front bearings and races were changed. Probably not a major issue as the front taper bearing are tough. and now most of the metal has been captured. I was a heavy equipment mechanic in the Operating Engineers for 22 years and never found that kind of metal after changing bearings and races. I always flushed the metal out of the hubs on a catastrophic failure. Not necessary on just seal and bearing changes.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #11
I'm with Barry on this one,where exactly is this magnetic plug and how big is it?????
That post from that bearing maker does not pertain to that bearing.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #12
That is not normal at all for a front wheel bearing. The link is referring to a differential axle bearing where gear wear occurs. That metal had to have been left in the hub when that front bearings and races were changed. Probably not a major issue as the front taper bearing are tough. and now most of the metal has been captured. I was a heavy equipment mechanic in the Operating Engineers for 22 years and never found that kind of metal after changing bearings and races. I always flushed the metal out of the hubs on a catastrophic failure. Not necessary on just seal and bearing changes.

For the rest of the world, some additional explanation regarding gears.  Hypoid gears are defined by mathematics that need to realized in the real world, so there is some wearing in needed in practice.  Same thing for spiral bevel gears, so there are some fuzzies that are flushed away by the lubricating oil.

Ball bearings, roller bearings and tapered roller bearings may have "fuzzies" left from the grinding process but not on any bearing I'd buy.

FWIW, Chrysler Corporation developed "super finishing" in 1939 to combat Brinelling of its product's wheel bearings when being transported by rail car.  Removing the fuzzies from the race grinding process eliminated the transport damage.
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
N1RPN

Reply #13
Lots of bearing grades. Usually not that much more to move up a couple of grades. Bearings in skate boards and inline skates are a lot more expensive than you would think they would be.

Just an idea: Wheels Mfg Sealed Bearing Grades

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #14
Lots of bearing grades. Usually not that much more to move up a couple of grades. Bearings in skate boards and inline skates are a lot more expensive than you would think they would be.

Just an idea: Wheels Mfg Sealed Bearing Grades

Pierce
The skate board people are willing to pay for angular contact bearings because they can feel the difference in stability.  I've never stayed on a skate board long enough to find out for myself.  Once upon a time I did order a $20 bearing, and when asked relied that it was "only and idler."  After THAT bearing failed, not having lasted very long I had to admit to my mistake and promise to never ever try to save the company money that way again.
Using old school terminology, the lowest grade angular contact bearing we purchased was ABEC 7.

FWIW, the French company Wirth & Gruffat used precision tapered roller bearings in their drilling spindles.  Lead time on those can be 6 months.
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
N1RPN

Reply #15
I did two things:

1. Jacked the front right axle and spun the wheel: No bearing noise.
2. Wiggled the tire in the X, Y and Z directions: tight as a drum.

I witnessed the bearing job, done by a seasoned, trusted professional. The spindle, races and bearings were cleaned with a pro shop (lint-free) rag and cleaned with a pre cleaner prior to assembly. Then clean gear oil was added.

See photos of:

A. Hub seal assembly. The round cap has the magnet.
B. Receipt for parts. They are from a pro truck shop: FleetPride and are made by NTN (Bower) and Timken.

I'll check for metal in a few hundred miles, but I doubt there will be much more metal. I wonder if the bearings needed to "Break-in" to their cages / holders?

I appreciate this forum's advice.

Reply #16
But was the hub flushed out? The rotor assy.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #17
In case of an engine failure or an engine block being bored, I was always taught that cleaning solvent would not remove all the small metal filings and the block needed to be cleaned with Tide or another HD detergent to remove everything. Then I remember all the trouble Ford had trying to get their pushrod 427s to last 24 hours for the Le Mans race. They blew up one after another until they constructed a ultra sonic cleaner large enough for the blocks to fit in. Even after the normal cleaning, they would still get a teaspoon full of particles after the ultra sonic did it's work. We all know how successful the big Fords were for many years after that.

Several good big rig wheel bearing posts online. One failure was traced to "counterfeit" bearings being used.

After any failure leaving metal particles behind, it's good to really make sure every crevice has been cleaned out so absolutely nothing is left behind. Just seems strange to me that new precision bearings with chrome or hardened surfaces would leave that many metal shavings in the magnet.

Pierce

'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #18

I'll check for metal in a few hundred miles, but I doubt there will be much more metal. I wonder if the bearings needed to "Break-in" to their cages / holders?

I appreciate this forum's advice.

Precision bearings don't break in, they wear out.  That being said, 5, 50, 500 miles is a sound game plan.  That is to say, check for metal at 5  miles, an additional 50 and so on.
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
N1RPN

Reply #19
The magnet is there for a reason. We operate in the real world..pragmatic solutions are more important than the theoretical perfection of impossible-to-obtain cleanliness.

If it were my wheel, I'd wipe it off and check it in a few hundred miles. I (meaning I did it myself) just replaced my front wheel seals. I preloaded them too! (there's a thread about that)
1998 U270 34'

Reply #20
Anyone know of a magnet plug that fits where our red plastic Stemco plug fits??

Reply #21
Yes on washing hot tanked blocks with tide immediately after getting it home,  then rustoleum immediately as the iron rusted
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #22
Another tip I got from YouTube is to buy a powerful button magnet and periodically rub it on the sight glass. If it picks up metal particles, you have a problem.

Reply #23
Were these wheels changed from Hub piloted to stud piloted?
Noticed that the hubs have the tabs broken off.
Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins
Allison MD3060R 6 speed - retarder
Powertech 10KW  4cyl Kubota

Reply #24
Wiggled the tire in the X, Y and Z directions: tight as a drum.
I don't know what brand of axle you have but on Rockwell steering axles, the spec is 0.001" to 0.005".  I can't tell the difference without putting a dial indicator on the hub. Here is an excellent video (in 3 parts) on the entire process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8-XL4E4m7o

He is working on a tag axle but the process is the same; just the specs change.

TOM
SOB (Some Other Brand) division
1995 Wanderlodge WB40
8V92 :D