Skip to main content
Topic: RV barn update (Read 3797 times) previous topic - next topic

RV barn update

After being tied up in the city planning department we finally have the permit and have broken ground.  Concrete pour is scheduled for Friday, weather permitting.  20'x44'
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Re: RV barn update

Reply #1
Are you going to be able to at least stub out a sewer dump piping incase you want to add a sewer lift station in the future?

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #2
Are you going to be able to at least stub out a sewer dump piping incase you want to add a sewer lift station in the future?

Mike

X2 I have put the 4" PVC with duct tape over the end about 1/2 " below surface of concrete so inspector could check everything out to their content and I could come back later to do the drain.  "Some things they just don't need to know"
Just my 2cnets worth
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #3
Sven, if you are using sliding doors and still can make sure the slab goes out under the doors not just where they are when closed but also where they are are open.

Reply #4
X2 I have put the 4" PVC with duct tape over the end about 1/2 " below surface of concrete so inspector could check everything out to their content and I could come back later to do the drain.  "Some things they just don't need to know"
Just my 2cnets worth
Chris
I did the same only 3" pvc to match the house., Have not gotten around to extending it yet. Plumbing inspector would not have allowed it.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #5
Sven, if you are using sliding doors and still can make sure the slab goes out under the doors not just where they are when closed but also where they are are open.
There will be a 3' landing (or "apron") in front of each door, per code, that slope away from the door, and the pad will be 6" longer than the building, allowing for 3" on each end.
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #6
My sewer clean out is in a front yard depression, which I have used to empty my tanks.  The drive way and buried utility lines (elec., gas, telephone and cable) lay between it and the "barn".  With the distance, I would have to dig down a ways to get a decent drop.  Instead, I may put in the drivway, which will be redone before long.  Since I have to channel the 1" sprinkler line across it, I'm glad that I didn't do that earlier.

2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #7
There is a slope next to the new garage where I could drop a sewer pipe down to my neighbors yard.  It would be short and have a decent drop and it might be good for the ice plant! >:D

2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #8
The foundation pour is scheduled for Tuesday.  We are using #4 (1/2") rebar with a 6" slab.  I was asked about grooves.  I would like to get some opinions on the necessity or desirability of having grooves.  Pro:  Reduces chance of hairline cracks.  Con: Not as easy to sweep, collects dirt, and a real bugger when sliding around on a creeper.  I'm interested in hearing from those of you with RV garage floors and what your experience has been.
Regarding the electrical:  We are putting in a 60A panel with 6ga 4strand wire, interior and exterior 50A outlets and 20A CBs for smaller outlets and overhead lights.
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #9
The foundation pour is scheduled for Tuesday.  We are using #4 (1/2") rebar with a 6" slab.
What is your quoted price per square foot for the finished slab, if you don't mind me asking?  Trying to get a feel for roughly how bad it would hurt to do one for our poor old coach.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #10
My shop (coach house) has a fairly smooth floor,  it has spacers running the length of building between pours but none running across. My elevation drops 1" from east to west so when I want to power wash the floor the water runs out easily.  If I were to build another one I would do the same, I like the smooth floor.  When the porch for my house was poured they grooved it and it is a pain when sweeping and I still had hair-line cracks.
good luck with your build and do what you like best on floor because you are the one dealing with it!
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #11
Chuck, in Arkansas six months ago I was quoted 100 Sq Ft
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #12
I did something like this in the shop.  When it is all done there is no gap but a thin plastic strip embedded in to the concrete.  I used 5000psi concrete with 1/2" rebar (don't recall spacing) 5" thick. 

https://www.concreteconstruction.net/how-to/construction/controlling-cracks-with-plastic-joints_o

We saw cut the smooth steel machined troweled basement floor about 1/4" deep in a 3' grid, acid etched and stained it.  Grouted all of the grooves with black flexible grout.  Very shallow indents.  Looks like giant marble tile. 

After the concrete has had time to fully cure seal it with a good sealer.

PS110 Siloxane Water Repellent WB-10 Penetrating Sealer (5 gal.) - Concrete...

Concrete for the Barn Slab including site prep, block work and sealing was about $5/sqft.  8 years ago.

Reply #13
my 4 1/2" concrete slab and footings was $4.75 per sqft. installed. and that does not include the patio and pad at man door.  I think Chris must have fat fingered his keyboard.  Driveway approach was also $4.75.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #14
What is your quoted price per square foot for the finished slab, if you don't mind me asking?  Trying to get a feel for roughly how bad it would hurt to do one for our poor old coach.
About $7.50-8.00/sq ft. based on the 44.6 x 20 and apron (slabs) in front of the three doors.  Total cost of foundation was around $6500.
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #15
Chuck check with some local concrete flatwork guys, as always location, location, location, as your price may vary quite considerably.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #16
The foundation pour is scheduled for Tuesday.  We are using #4 (1/2") rebar with a 6" slab.  I was asked about grooves.  I would like to get some opinions on the necessity or desirability of having grooves.  Pro:  Reduces chance of hairline cracks.  Con: Not as easy to sweep, collects dirt, and a real bugger when sliding around on a creeper.  I'm interested in hearing from those of you with RV garage floors and what your experience has been.
Regarding the electrical:  We are putting in a 60A panel with 6ga 4strand wire, interior and exterior 50A outlets and 20A CBs for smaller outlets and overhead lights.

Sawn grooves are just you pre-cracking your concrete.  Assuming you have stable, non expansive, compacted select fill under the slab, a competent crew who makes sure the rebar is properly embedded in the concrete rather than lying under it, and who places rather than pours the concrete i.e., proper slump with no extra water for workability, you can most likely do without the sawn grooves in a slab this size.  Also, keeping the slab wet for a few days will help prevent surface cracks.  That said, all this requires a pro team doing the work, most likely under the eye of an engineer who checks each load for slump. It also requires either good all around access for concrete trucks or a pump to help deal with the stiff mix.  A rare thing these days on a residential job. 

One thing you can do which will almost certainly preclude cracking is to add fibermesh to your mix.  I also am a fan of, for a shop area especially, having the finisher "burn" the finish with power trowel leaving you with a slick finish.  This also helps prevent surface cracks which can appear while the slab is initially curing. 

Like Roger said, grooving and then filling the grooves is a good compromise.  I'd use a pourable caulk, Sika makes one.  That's the rubber stuff you see in sidewalk joints.  Good choice on your electrical btw. 

"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #17
Post #11 was wrong it was suppose to say 100  Cu Yard
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #18
Wow, at 6" thick, Chris' pour would have covered 5,400 sqft.  50'x108'.  I want that barn.  There was probably a perimeter beam and load footings in there too so maybe a bit smaller.✅

Chris says it is 50x80.  I can only dream.

Reply #19
My current barn is 60x50 and I had the rebar and high psi (i don't remember what it is now) poured.  It did not have gloves cut in it and it has not yet cracked. I am sure it will someday but right now I am happy with the pour.  We were pretty careful in secluding our builder and general contractor as it went up with the house. He has a farm and has built a lot of big structures.  I am thinking of putting epoxy down now but I will think on it a bit longer.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #20
My experience with concrete is the only thing guaranteed is a crack.  What happened to pricing concrete work by the yard?
Jerry & Nanci
1999 U270 34'WTFI
2011 Malibu
A smart man knows what to say, a wise man knows when to say it.

Reply #21
Concrete is ordered by the yd, hauled by the yd, and priced by yd. Most homeowners can only relate to $ per sqft, besides it sounds cheaper. Polished concrete is a horrible idea, it always looks terrible, and nothing can fix it.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #22
. Polished concrete is a horrible idea, it always looks terrible, and nothing can fix it.

Until you need to sweep it, then it looks great.  It can be quite handsome in itself or stained, built several houses with it to rave reviews.  But it all depends on the skill of the finisher. Or the eye of the beholder I suppose.
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #23
My shop is hard machine troweled, easier to keep clean. 
Downstairs in the house steel machine troweled, acid etched and stained, looks like marble.
The barn is lightly brushed. Not slippery.  I use a leaf blower to clean it out

Reply #24
I would like a smooth finish for a couple of reasons.  I would like to be able to wipe up any oil, rather than have it seep into the concrete - this might require an epoxy paint or some other sealer.  Also, I'd like to easily sweep or blow out debris without it sticking to the surface.  I have decided to do without the grooves.
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8