Skip to main content

Topic: Injector pump chirping noise etc (Read 828 times) previous topic - next topic

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Injector pump chirping noise etc
We are half way on our trip to Yukon etc and now when I shut engine down a while later there is a big noise coming from area of inj pump etc. It is a chirping noise with some clicking. Silverleaf code says. Fuel control valve. So, anyone know on...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Injector pump chirping noise etc
Reply #1
John,
MAZ had his Injection Control Valve replaced, I wonder if that is the part you are referring to as the "Fuel control valve". It is a fairly expensive part at around 1.2 coach bucks. You don't say what the number of the code your Silverleaf...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Don. The silver leaf code is 18. 7. Fuel control valve. It has not happened for a second so far today so much much less than yesterday. We are only 5 miles from a Cummins shop now so will see what happens.
Thanks and will report back
JohnH

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
By the way I have not been getting any stop signs or engine malfunctioning and it's been like no problem at all for performance. Just check engine ones
JohnH

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Don, here is a strange thing, the mechanic hooked up to the Cummins diagnostics and it only shows 1alert since our episode in PHX 3yrs ago. The silver leaf shows many different items. The alert that came up was repeated 37 times in the last 70...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Well the day has ended and 9 of the 16 Cummins diagnostics has been done and a couple of electrical faults have been found but we do not think they are going to be the answer but will be taking a drive  first thing before going to work on the...

Reply #6
John,

If the alert came up 37 times in the last 70 hours, it may be an electrical issue with a connection, ground, etc. Remember when you had the wiring fault outside of Q in 2014 if I remember correctly? Betting it's similar and not the Cummins.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
We kind of think that too, but this chirping noise after engine is shut down is a head shaker. I can stop the noise by turning ign on without actually starting the engine then turn key off. That stops it for about 4 hours then it starts up...

Reply #8
John,

This is sure strange as turning on the key makes it stop for a period of time.
This won't have anything to do with the key part as this is all mechanical as far as the chirping. 

If your air dryer is OEM there is 1 air line that is 1/4" that...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Mike, no isolation valve on mine but there is a return check valve on the main line at  air dryer. I replaced that one when I did a rebuild of dryer in 2016.
Thanks for keeping me posted
JohnH

Reply #10
How about the heating element in the air dryer? Wonder if the chirp could be a pressure release and the heating element causing that to pause somehow? The heating element starts to heat when the key is turned on.

P

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
The heating is on the purge valve and the key is turned on and off so fast U do not think any heating could happen
JohnH

Reply #12
John, there is apparently a ground that ties together the ECM and several of its sensors. even the bit in the quote I posted above obliquely refers to it;
Code 329 can result due to one or more of the following:
Other fault codes that are...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Update after 15 hours labour. Today the tech took apart the ecm wiring as it was a mess and he could not carry on with the job so he fixed a few bad lines and bad connections. I was with him all the time and he is very meticulous. We decided to...

Reply #14
John, I have trucked in that area for many years ... Any shop in Smithers should be able to help you out... All the mechanics in that area that have worked on trucks should be able to help you out.
I would get a couple of opinions, but generally...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
Agree that they did not rip me off as I was alongside the tech the whole time. Great people for sure and they are all concerned with the problem. I have  the techs cell# and manager wants us to drop back in after us now going to P Rupert as a...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Drove 250 miles today with no issues as far as errors but without the Banks my fuel use was a lit more. Reckon it cost me 2.5 to 3 mpg and hill climbing was slower . Eg manifold temps were down maybe 400 degs but that is because not so much...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Well no night sqeeling from coach last night so so far so good. I did check silverleaf diagnostics and low and behold there were many noted pid 256 checks but they did not register as beeping and check lights. Codes mentioned are also written...

Reply #18
One thing I have noticed with the VMSpc is that if you turn the key on and don't finish waiting for the 'pre-flight' to finish of the warning light panel, VMSpc can generate multiple instances of a variety of spurious codes. On the other hand,...

Reply #19
I believe this polling characteristic can be observed by the latency in the readings of many of the simple gages. As an example, the gear attained vs. the gear chosen, you can feel the transmission shifting moments before the gear attained...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Update. Came back to Smithers to have diesel shop do a Cummins data check due to those weird notes on s,leaf
Diagnostics. During last night's sleep we woke to hear a very faint chatter that sounded electrical so out of bed and lift it up to find...

Reply #21
VMSpc reports what data is put out on the data bus.  The older JIBs have slower chips in them and the time it takes to cycle through all of the possible channels takes longer.  The newer JIBs are faster.  Your older transmission and engine...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
Roger are you replying to Dons post?
The Cummins shop plugged into data port and not one fault code came up since we left them last week. He stated that as far as he and Cummins are concerned my engine is running great and clean. In fact he smelt...

Reply #23
John,
Ya to You and Don and Bob.  Silverleaf and VMSpc does not create anything or cause it to happen.  It simply reports what it sees on the data bus.  There are lots of messages coming across the data bus from the engine and the transmission. ...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
 Was also looking at the computer he used and it actually said. No faults recorded. His thoroughness is unbelievable on all aspects. I was very Impressed at the small issues he cleaned up as he said if I do not do this sometime down the road it...