Skip to main content

Topic: Lots of White Smoke (Read 3772 times) previous topic - next topic

Lots of White Smoke
The engine has been emitting a small bit of white smoke since we've owned it.  I thought it was due to a bad turbo because the engine was rebuilt in 2017 and the invoice from the repair mentioned a damaged turbo. We were planning on replacing the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Lots of White Smoke
Reply #1
My 8.3 smokes when cold on startup.

Causes from the web:

Faulty or damaged injectors
Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).

Low cylinder compression
(eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring...

Reply #2
It could be the oil seal in the new turbo is faulty. Even though you can't see any oil loss on the dip stick it don't take much oil to make a lot of smoke. This can look like white smoke even though it is oil.

With the 2nd exhaust manifold gasket...

Reply #3
If it's a bad turbo, you will 'eat oil for lunch' and smoke white/grey all the time; more when it's colder outside when climbing. We blew one, replaced it and it STILL SMOKED!  Pulled the whole top end apart, had everything checked out and found...

Reply #4

I'm in uncharted waters here. We have the operation and maintenance manual but it's not too specific.  Ordering a service manual is first on the list.  I'm not a diesel mechanic but...

Reply #5
I think the key here may be the engine rebuild in 2017. White smoke is normal during startup, especially in cold weather. White smoke during normal driving is not. The white smoke from coolant at first looks the same as startup smoke but quickly...

Reply #6
Faulty injector.
  Run a balance test. Let it skip long enough for the smoke to diminish.

Reply #7
I have removed the intake and exhaust pipes on the turbo and there is no oil or residue.  There is white smoke coming from the leaking manifold gasket so I don't think it's the turbo.  We ran the generator under load to see it would smoke as well...

Reply #8
Unless you need a new fuel filter, your generator is dying because it has air in the feed line. Our U300 is the same year and the supply line from the tank had millions of microscopic cracks that were letting air in. Tough to see without a...

Reply #9
If it's a bad turbo, you will 'eat oil for lunch' and smoke white/grey all the time; more when it's colder outside when climbing. We blew one, replaced it and it STILL SMOKED!  Pulled the whole...

Reply #10
   I would think the turbo would have to be hot in order to turn the oil into smoke but I dont know.  I'm going to be pulling the manifold to have it resurfaced and might send the turbo...

Reply #11
If it's not losing oil , it is not the turbo . If it is not losing water, it is not gaskets. 
 The most likely smoke  source is the fuel . 

Reply #12
If it's not losing oil , it is not the turbo .
X2...... and when I speak of 'losing oil', I MEAN you have to check it (and add) a couple of times a day!  :facepalm:

Reply #13
Mine smoked right away. Would not hurt to have someone take a look at the turbo, though.
The tech at the turbo shop said if there was no oil on the turbine wheels then the turbo was not leaking...

Reply #14
Thanks for all the good info guys.  I'm not sure how to do some of the things suggested so there's lots to research.  I haven't had any luck finding anyone that is interested in working on it but The shop manuals will be here Tuesday.

Reply #15

Where are you?
Are there any bar rooms nearby, or a fire department?  I've had good luck mining bars for both info and labor.
The fire department may provide a diesel mechanic that wants to moonlight according to Pierce Stewart.

Reply #16
Where are you?
Are there any bar rooms nearby, or a fire department?  I've had good luck mining bars for both info and labor.
The fire department may provide a diesel mechanic that wants to...

Reply #17
I know ONE THING: with a smoking turbo you can drive from Arizona to Washington State with only pollution; no other damage. I don't think I'd drive to NAC unless I really knew what was what.

Reply #18
Pierce's suggestion is an easy way to rule out  air in fuel issues.  Two gallon plastic fuel can, few feet of hose.  Change out fuel filters first if you haven't already done so. No diesel tolerates less than near perfect fuel delivery.

Reply #19
Faulty injector.
  Run a balance test. Let it skip long enough for the smoke to diminish.
I was thinking about pulling the injectors and sending them somewhere to be tested.  It would...

Reply #20
Pierce's suggestion is an easy way to rule out  air in fuel issues.  Two gallon plastic fuel can, few feet of hose.  Change out fuel filters first if you haven't already done so. No diesel...

Reply #21
I had read a few threads about changing fuel lines and was curious if this was something that I needed to do this is something I will try and attempt.  There's so many things to do my...

Reply #22
Googlate balance test. It would be far better to determine and pick the faulty injector before sending them for testing .imho
  Simply loosen or unplug each injector and wait for the rpm to stabilize. Read the rpm drop for each jug. My guess is...

Reply #23
I had read a few threads about changing fuel lines and was curious if this was something that I needed to do this is something I will try and attempt. 

A quick check on the condition of...

Reply #24
I have to go with Mike on this one. Its easy for a diesel novice to chase the problem through a maze of possibilities, each failure accompanied by more and more frustration (and credit card debt).

You can loosen the nut on each injector but...