Skip to main content

Topic: 'That smell' (Read 379 times) previous topic - next topic

'That smell'
We're getting it when the roof air is on. What do you all add to the BW tank when it happens?

Re: 'That smell'
Reply #1
Dawn helps and also products with oxiclean  works well also.

Reply #2
If your coach is closed up. No windows or doors open and you have the kitchen exhaust fan on it will pull fumes up from the black water tank through the toilet. You must have an outside source of make up air when that large fan is running.

Reply #3
We use Dawn (1/2 cup) and Calgon (1 cup) dissolved in a bucket of hot water, then poured down the drain.  Works for both tanks.

Make sure the toilet, and the sink and shower drain water traps, are kept full of water.

Check your rooftop holding tank...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• AC7880
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Mike,
  As mentioned above it is likely a failing air admittance valve. Good time to replace all of them. If you do I recommend you buy Studor valves. They are pricey but will not let you down. For now you can just keep positive pressure in the...

Reply #6
Yup, the right answer is NOT to try to make the gray or black tank smell good, but to find the source of the odor.

Locate the SOURCE.  If under the sink in kitchen or bathroom, the air admittance valve(s) are the likely source.  This is assuming...

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Yup, the right answer is NOT to try to make the gray or black tank smell good, but to find the source of the odor.

Locate the SOURCE.  If under the sink in kitchen or bathroom, the air admittance...

Reply #8
Mike,
  As mentioned above it is likely a failing air admittance valve. Good time to replace all of them. If you do I recommend you buy Studor valves. They are pricey but will not let you down. For now...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
the ones that sell for $5 or $6 at HD or Lowe's work just as well

One would think so but that has not been the case for me. On two rigs I have replaced the valves with the Home Depot off the shelf ones and two (one on each coach) did not do...

Reply #10
Qaulity products are always a bit more $ knock off don't care much, and China doesn't care in the very least, China just says try to sue me!

Reply #11
Brett's idea that the odor might be coming from the air conditioner is probably correct, There is no air intrusion from the roof, the units recirculate the inside air and don't pull outside air. If the problem is only when running the air that...

Reply #12
Well yes and no, the roof a/c most likely has an axle shaft that penetrates the suction side of the evaporator supply fan housing thru an unsealed oversized hole downstream of the high static pressure drop filters and evap coil so any odors...

Reply #13
I had nasty smells coming from the vent holes in the toilet bowl  I plugged them and life got less smelly.

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
The holes in your toilet bowl are overflow holes. I got plugs (free) from the Mfr.
Seems overflow isn't necessary when a user has to hold down (or up) the control to add water.

Reply #15
We use Dawn (1/2 cup) and Calgon (1 cup) dissolved in a bucket of hot water, then poured down the drain.  Works for both tanks.

Make sure the toilet, and the sink and shower drain water...

Reply #16
Well yes and no, the roof a/c most likely has an axle shaft that penetrates the suction side of the evaporator supply fan housing thru an unsealed oversized hole downstream of the high...

Reply #17
What Calgon product are you using?
Calgon Ocean Breeze Moisturizing Bath Beads.

Calgon Ocean Breeze Moisturizing Bath Beads with Aloe & Vitamin E, 30 oz -...