Skip to main content
Topic: Dead Spot in Steering (u-jonts) (Read 1197 times) previous topic - next topic

Dead Spot in Steering (u-jonts)

In this thread about steering slop I mentioned all the various things I've done to correct my issue but still have a 1/8" to 1/4" dead spot in my steering. Both CaFlashBob & Roger Engdahl mentioned to check my u-joints in my steering column.

Steering

Finally got under the coach and used 2 sets of channel lock pliers to grab the u-joint right above the steering box and twisted back and forth (above & below the u-joint). The play there was pretty evident. So I think we have a culprit. Bob had mentioned "clocking" the u-joint. I assume he means just removing and turning it 90º. As large as the movement was don't think that would work might try it but would prefer just replacing it.

Since I'm at FOT for a new windshield I walked over to parts to see if they have the u-joint. I really didn't think they would have one but hoped then could give me a part number. They tried to look it up but said the u-joint itself wasn't listed just the whole spline (or steering extension as FOT called it). Which they didn't have either but they did give me the part number. Dana Spicer 906330-100. I've used the jazz hands on the googler without success. Wondering if anybody has been down this road. Is the u-joint replaceable? Does anyone have a part number? Anyone know where I can get the spline if that's the way to go.

If I don't get anything I guess I'll just pull it and get a part number have it matched up somewhere. Unfortunately won't be near a big city anytime soon. Hopefully with the part number I can find a replacement online and mail order.

Humm went out and looked again. Not sure how the u-joint can come out. See pics.

see ya
ken
The selected media item is not currently available.ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes
🍺1992 U300 GrandVilla WTBI #4150 FOT FBP 2011
✨6V-92TA DDEC Parlor Coach 350HP Series 92
🏁2011 Nissan XTerra Pro-4X

Re: Dead Spot in Steering (u-jonts)

Reply #1
Move it 45* or so.  That runs it in a new spot .    You can do a test by changing the steering drag link a few turns ,thus moving the steering wheel and shaft a few degrees.
 Move it too far off center and the steering box will try to recenter and add a pull to the side.
 Barring easy to replace new parts, remove the shaft and take to as drive shaft shop ,or industry drive shop  and either make up a shaft or replace the joints.
The joints may have a clip on the inside section.  They may also be stacked in or plastic rivited in.
 Or you can send it to me .. 

Reply #2
Ken,

No first hand experience with this, but if you remove the 4 bolts holding the steering column in place, would you be able to "slip" the column up enough to clear the U joint?  James Triana may know the answer!
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #3
Ken,

That U joint is common and are available at  Motion Ind.  We have one here in Longview so I can just run out there and pick one up.  I don't have a number for you though. If you don't have access to a press, anvil, or a 4# hammer take the stub shaft off and to a drive shaft shop as has been mentioned.

To get to ours (we have a '97 so your 92 GV could be different) we have had to remove the  bolt that is holding the yoke to the steering box input shaft. This will let you pry the yoke clear of the steering box input shaft. Ours has a slip joint in the steering column that will have enough movement to clear.  Then you can just pull the stub shaft out of this slip joint. What I understand is this slip joint is there in case of a crash the column can somewhat collapse.

Mike

Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #4
Ken,

One other thought is, you have another U joint in the tilt mechanism and it could also have some slop also. Now it is a BIG pain to replace as you have to remove the whole column out of the coach to get to it.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #5
Driveshaft shop! Thanks!

I'm heading for Eagle Nest, NM after NAC. Should be lots of help consultants there for the summer. Even if I have to drive it to Santa Fe I'll get her done.

Brett will you be in NM this summer? Looking forward to meeting you. :)

see ya
ken
The selected media item is not currently available.ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes

Reply #6
Yes, Dianne and I are "just up the hill" in Angel Fire-- arrived last Friday.  High here today 71 degrees F.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #7
 If you get another shaft , look into running the joints slightly out of phase .  This will reduce the slop at each joint.  Doesnt take much , maybe 10* . Ask who ever builds the shaft and take an installed pick to approximate the working angles.

Reply #8
Yes, Dianne and I are "just up the hill" in Angel Fire-- arrived last Friday.  High here today 71 degrees F.
We are shooting to be there Saturday.  ^.^d

see ya
ken

Reply #9
Driveshaft shop! Thanks!

I'm heading for Eagle Nest, NM after NAC. Should be lots of help consultants there for the summer. Even if I have to drive it to Santa Fe I'll get her done.

Mike's just up the road from you in Longview.... just sayin'....  one of the best, most helpful,  most knowledgeable people I have ever met...  Worth a longer stay in TX if you can make the time to pick his brain.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #10
One other thought is, you have another U joint in the tilt mechanism and it could also have some slop also. Now it is a BIG pain to replace as you have to remove the whole column out of the coach to get to it.
I'm hoping it's just the lower but the upper may be a contributor. Will find out when I change out the lower.

And thanks for the generous offer to help. If our schedule wasn't so tight we'd be there! It appears I'll have to drive the width of Texas with it the way it is. FOT is having issues with my windshield and we are due in again first thing in the morning. 1st world problems. :)

see ya
ken

Reply #11
Not sure if this is applicable or not but on my 1993 Newell the steering column would tilt and extend.  If it was retracted all the way down the steering would feel sticky and felt like there was some play.  If I extended it a bit it would clear that up.  Might be worth extending it up a bit to see if that makes it better.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #12
Ken,

We have a place with 50 amp service if you had time and would like to swing by. Just P/M us for directions and to let us know you are on the way.

Mike

Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #13
When replacing that U-joint, Try to get one that has sealed bearings and doesn't need to be greased.  Greasing the one on our (9! GV is a real pain in the neck.  I'd be willing to bet that most of those U-joints get overlooked when lubing up.  I don't know if ours has two U-joints or not, I'll have to look closer inside of the coach.  ----  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #14
Mike's just up the road from you in Longview.... just sayin'....  one of the best, most helpful,  most knowledgeable people I have ever met...  Worth a longer stay in TX if you can make the time to pick his brain.

Thanks for the kind words, this is real humbling as I'm just trying to help out like a lot of others here.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #15
I don't know if ours has two U-joints or not, I'll have to look closer inside of the coach.
Pretty sure if you have the tilt steering wheel there will be one in the cab under the plastic shroud around the steering column. It looks like the shroud is just held on with plastic tabs. I started to pull mine off but meet some resistance and had already met my quota for the day breaking things. I plan on giving it another go.

Like your idea of using sealed joints.

see ya
ken

Reply #16
Maybe look close.. No stamp on the end of the Ujoint?.. I will look at mine.. Been thinking of changing mine out  also...

Reply #17
Pretty sure if you have the tilt steering wheel there will be one in the cab under the plastic shroud around the steering column. It looks like the shroud is just held on with plastic tabs. I started to pull mine off but meet some resistance and had already met my quota for the day breaking things. I plan on giving it another go.
I took my steering wheel off a while back to repair my turn signal/cruise control switch.  Had everything tore down to where I could clearly see the top steering column U-joint.  I took photos of the R&R process, but I wasn't concerned with the U-joint so did not focus on that component.

Perhaps you will find some useful info in the thread:

Grand Villa Steering Wheel Removal
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #18
Finally some follow up...

I pulled the steering extension while in Eagle Nest, NM. Dori was filling in for a friend in Denver for a few weeks so when I took her up there I dropped the extension at a driveshaft shop in the morning. They had it done that afternoon. $60 for the rebuild. $20 each for the u-joints and $10 each to remove & replace. There is absolutely no play in the extension now!

I've reinstalled but won't test drive until we leave Eagle Nest on 8/23. Will report back here after driving.

Until then here are some more pics.

see ya
ken

Reply #19
Did they say if the others were bad or had play?

Reply #20
I am guessing for $60 total, that was not investigated.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #21
Glad to see that the joints are out of phase  a little as I had mentioned.  Good find and thanks for the conclusion story.  Wendon't often get the results of our inputs.

Reply #22
What is that blue section made of?  Is that just painted steel?  Surprising that paint would hold up over the years.  Must not get scoped out that far very often?
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #23
What is that blue section made of?  Is that just painted steel?  Surprising that paint would hold up over the years.  Must not get scoped out that far very often?
That is Teflon bonded to the splines.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #24
Did they say if the others were bad or had play?
I had previously determined that there was play just using a couple of channel locks on each of the u-joints. One above and one below. I could feel the play. Didn't have anyway to measure the play but I could sure feel it and even see a bit of movement when I twisted the cannel locks.

Don't know if this fixed my dead spot issue yet but is bound to help and at $60 well worth doing.

see ya
ken