Skip to main content

Topic: pitman arm puller (Read 668 times) previous topic - next topic

pitman arm puller
Does anyone have information for a puller that doesn't require cutting a hole in the fan box to remove the pitman arm? I have the puller for working on trucks but would like to not have to cut the hole.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: pitman arm puller
Reply #1
Does anyone have information for a puller that doesn't require cutting a hole in the fan box to remove the pitman arm? I have the puller for working on trucks but would like to not have to cut...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #2
Use this one, it takes up no space: Kent-Moore OTC SPX International Pitman Arm Removal tool Sheppard M Puller...

SPX Kent-Moore Pitman Arm removal tool ZTSE4439 for International trucks with Sheppard M-series steering in new, unused condition and...

Reply #3
That is the same puller that is available to forum members to borrow.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
The problem is not getting the puller on the pitman arm knuckle .. it slides in between the steering box and generator fine.. it's removing the bolt from the arm to get everything apart.. no room.. cutting an access into the side of the generator...

• Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:18:56 pm by DavidS

Reply #5
I am also about to replace my box. I found this piece but it is pricey. It does seem better built than the eBay one above.

Tiger Tool 10385- Sheppard M100 Pitman Arm Puller Amazon.com: Tiger Tool 10385- Sheppard M100 Pitman Arm Puller: Automotive

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Lon and Cheryl is who I borrowed from. I made a couple extras and sent one back to Lon and kept 1 for myself.. Craneman is going to be borrowing mine in a few weeks .. Check with Lon he might know where they are of if they are loaned out.

Reply #7
I have Lon and Cheryl's puller here now. 

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I have Lon and Cheryl's puller here now.

There is another in rotation IF needed... So if someone is using it at the point of someone else needing it I made another set to be passed around.. So...

Reply #9
The problem is not getting the puller on the pitman arm knuckle .. it slides in between the steering box and generator fine.. it's removing the bolt from the arm to get everything apart.. no room.....

Reply #10
I'm not understanding this problem.  I've changed the steering box out on my RV twice and never cut a hole.  I slid out the generator on it's slides and had plenty of space to do the work.

AGREE

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
I'm not understanding this problem.  I've changed the steering box out on my RV twice and never cut a hole.  I slid out the generator on it's slides and had plenty of space to do the work.

My 02 has...

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Our 2003 is the same as David's.

Reply #13
I talked with Lon and he wanted/ needed straight on access to the central large headed bolt with the hex in the middle and used a 3/4" air impact tool to back the nut out against covering tool to push the Pittman arm off the sector gear shaft.

Reply #14
For those who said they had no need to remove any metal shield was it not in that area or did you use a different tool to turn the center hex?

I slid the generator out along the "drawer" tracks....

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
To remove the steering box I used a small car jack in the storage bay.  My u270 does not have the radiator there.

I was able to drop the box down behind the light and fog light.. With a little finagling

Reply #16
I have the radiator for the generator in my drivers side bay. I removed it to remove the steering box and have access to the steering shaft bolts, hydro lines, and the steering box.
I then built a "ramp" out of some old laminate  flooring so I...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Lon can you verify the depth of the inside of the pitman puller in between the 2 plates?

Seems my guy made one the otherday and did not make it deep enough.. want to update the thread if so with the correct info.

Reply #18
I have it here.  Will measure and post it if you want.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Plz ^.^d

Reply #20
Sorry for the delay.  The internal opening distance is 2".