Skip to main content
Topic: pitman arm puller (Read 1790 times) previous topic - next topic

pitman arm puller

Does anyone have information for a puller that doesn't require cutting a hole in the fan box to remove the pitman arm? I have the puller for working on trucks but would like to not have to cut the hole.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Re: pitman arm puller

Reply #1
Does anyone have information for a puller that doesn't require cutting a hole in the fan box to remove the pitman arm? I have the puller for working on trucks but would like to not have to cut the hole.
on mine there was not enough room for anything after the puller was on... I have one if needed.. Made it after I borrowed the one on the forum. Sent an extra to whomever I borrowed .. them are spensive..

Reply #2
Use this one, it takes up no space: Kent-Moore OTC SPX International Pitman Arm Removal tool Sheppard M Puller...

SPX Kent-Moore Pitman Arm removal tool ZTSE4439 for International trucks with Sheppard M-series steering in new, unused condition and in the original packaging with instructions. Works with all model 292, 392, and 492 steering gears with one piece Pitman Arm retainer. No owner ID markings. Never used.

Made in USA

I bought one a while back for much cheaper...I think $110. 
1998 U270 34'

Reply #3
That is the same puller that is available to forum members to borrow.
1995 U320C SE 40'
Jeep 4x4 Commander - Limited - Hemi
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms instructor - Handgun/shotgun
Regional Firearms instructor for national Armored Transp. Co.

Reply #4
The problem is not getting the puller on the pitman arm knuckle .. it slides in between the steering box and generator fine.. it's removing the bolt from the arm to get everything apart.. no room.. cutting an access into the side of the generator isnt a big deal.. if it does bother you .. add a cover to it and seal it up. I think the hole cut is a little less harmful than cutting holes in the roof or sides of the RV.. at Least to me.. you may think differently ..

Reply #5

I am also about to replace my box. I found this piece but it is pricey. It does seem better built than the eBay one above.

Tiger Tool 10385- Sheppard M100 Pitman Arm Puller Amazon.com: Tiger Tool 10385- Sheppard M100 Pitman Arm Puller: Automotive

How do we go about borrowing the one on the forum? Who has it and how do we get in mine to borrow? I would ideally like to use it this coming weekend to swap out my unit assuming it comes in in time.

2002 U270 34' Build 5953
Cummings ISL400HP
3410 Floor Plan
Longview, TX

Reply #6
Lon and Cheryl is who I borrowed from. I made a couple extras and sent one back to Lon and kept 1 for myself.. Craneman is going to be borrowing mine in a few weeks .. Check with Lon he might know where they are of if they are loaned out.

Reply #7
I have Lon and Cheryl's puller here now. 
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #8
I have Lon and Cheryl's puller here now.

There is another in rotation IF needed... So if someone is using it at the point of someone else needing it I made another set to be passed around.. So in short there are 2 sets of pitman arm removal sets floating around. For this reason.. Might be 2 people needing it at the same time.

Reply #9
The problem is not getting the puller on the pitman arm knuckle .. it slides in between the steering box and generator fine.. it's removing the bolt from the arm to get everything apart.. no room.. cutting an access into the side of the generator isnt a big deal..

I'm not understanding this problem.  I've changed the steering box out on my RV twice and never cut a hole.  I slid out the generator on it's slides and had plenty of space to do the work.
1998 U270 34'

Reply #10
I'm not understanding this problem.  I've changed the steering box out on my RV twice and never cut a hole.  I slid out the generator on it's slides and had plenty of space to do the work.

AGREE
1995 U320C SE 40'
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.

Reply #11

My 02 has a sheet metal casing around the generator when slid out that is stationary in the area.. is not removable.. maybe its just on the newer upgraded models?

Reply #12
Our 2003 is the same as David's.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #13
I talked with Lon and he wanted/ needed straight on access to the central large headed bolt with the hex in the middle and used a 3/4" air impact tool to back the nut out against covering tool to push the Pittman arm off the sector gear shaft.

Gen cover is a few inches away from the steering box.

For those who said they had no need to remove any metal shield was it not in that area or did you use a different tool to turn the center hex?

Thanks
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #14
For those who said they had no need to remove any metal shield was it not in that area or did you use a different tool to turn the center hex?

I slid the generator out along the "drawer" tracks. I then crawled under the RV behind the slid out generator and used my 1/2" IR cordless impact to first loosen the pitman retaining bolt (you must bend the locktab out of the way) and then used the puller with the pitman retaining bolt to remove the pitman arm.  I had plenty of space...crawling under was the most difficult part.

To remove the steering box I used a small car jack in the storage bay.  My u270 does not have the radiator there.
1998 U270 34'

Reply #15
To remove the steering box I used a small car jack in the storage bay.  My u270 does not have the radiator there.

I was able to drop the box down behind the light and fog light.. With a little finagling

Reply #16
I have the radiator for the generator in my drivers side bay. I removed it to remove the steering box and have access to the steering shaft bolts, hydro lines, and the steering box.
I then built a "ramp" out of some old laminate  flooring so I could drop the box and slid it down the ramp to the outside of the storage compartment. At that point the "plan" was to grab the box and lift it out.
I grabbed the box stood up with it in my hands and then let it slip out of my hands like a greased pig and fall on the top of my foot.
OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!
1995 U320C SE 40'

Reply #17
Lon can you verify the depth of the inside of the pitman puller in between the 2 plates?

Seems my guy made one the otherday and did not make it deep enough.. want to update the thread if so with the correct info.

Reply #18
I have it here.  Will measure and post it if you want.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #19
Plz ^.^d

Reply #20
Sorry for the delay.  The internal opening distance is 2". 
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #21
There is another in rotation IF needed... So if someone is using it at the point of someone else needing it I made another set to be passed around.. So in short there are 2 sets of pitman arm removal sets floating around. For this reason.. Might be 2 people needing it at the same time.

Reply #22
Hi I have a need for the pitarm puller. I have a 2000 U320. I worked half the day trying to remove it with my puller with no luck.
I did drill a 4" hole through the fiberglass panel next to the Gen box for access.
Please let me know if I can borrow the tool?
Thanks, Ray

Reply #23
Hi I have a need for the pitman arm puller. I have a 2000 U320. I worked half the day trying to remove it with my puller with no luck.
I did drill a 4" hole through the fiberglass panel next to the Gen box for access.
Please let me know if I can borrow the tool?
Thanks, Ray

Reply #24
My 02 has a sheet metal casing around the generator when slid out that is stationary in the area.. is not removable.. maybe its just on the newer upgraded models?
So does my 99 320.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."