Skip to main content
Topic: secret? switches inside dash (Read 848 times) previous topic - next topic

secret? switches inside dash

2002 U295 36'      I'm installing an electronic trailer brake controller in the coach and was able to find the extra wires loom inside the dash, nice! I was searching around for the retarder brake light relay. I would like to delete the brake lights being applied with the retarder. Or install toggle switch for them. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated. I spotted these 3 rocker switches mounted in a panel in the upper left corner of the dash. Does anyone know what these are for? They have no labels. Thanks, Jim.   
Jim and Dona
2002 U295 36'
Lily, blue healer. Our fury person
Manx mid travel Ecotec turbo
2022 Bronco badlands Sasquatch
Trail 90 and 110cc

Re: secret? switches inside dash

Reply #1
Lots of info on the forum.  Those are momentary switches so you can read codes from the Allison Transmission and and Cummins ECUs when you have a check engine lights, etc.

There's also one near the middle of the dash whose purpose is the momentary ground needed for the Javalina tank monitor calibration (not a fun task since you have to empty, calibrate, then fill and calibrate all 3 tanks at the same time)

Curious what these switches are for under the dash...

Three switches under dash cover?

Unknown Under Dash Switches

Hidden (Secret) Switches
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #2
My retarder brake light relay was behind a carpeted small panel in front of the brake pedal on the floor on my 2000 U320
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #3
Michelle and Keith, thank you for the info. Jim.
Jim and Dona
2002 U295 36'
Trail 90 and 110cc

Reply #4
My retarder brake light relay was behind a carpeted small panel in front of the brake pedal on the floor on my 2000 U320
Thanks for the picture, I will add a switch to the trigger wire to that relay in the future. I would like options on different situations rather than just not coming on.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #5
It's kind of funny, we all have such differences of opinion... I think the brake lights coming on with the retarder is one of the best safety idea's someone came up with !
Having driven truck many years I really appreciate brake lights.. The retarder on my coach really slows the coach up... a loaded truck driver behind me would really cuss, and would have a tough time out stopping me ... the flashing brake lights gives other drivers a opportunity to take defensive action
That is just my opinion, combined with a lot of hiway miles !!
Safe Travels
Dave
2001 U320 40ft
Build #5867
2003 Tracker
VE7DOD

Reply #6
It's kind of funny, we all have such differences of opinion... I think the brake lights coming on with the retarder is one of the best safety idea's someone came up with !
Having driven truck many years I really appreciate brake lights.. The retarder on my coach really slows the coach up... a loaded truck driver behind me would really cuss, and would have a tough time out stopping me ... the flashing brake lights gives other drivers a opportunity to take defensive action
That is just my opinion, combined with a lot of hiway miles !!
Safe Travels
Dave
That's why I want a switch for options. Most of the time I want the lights to come on with the retarder, but on a 5 mile down grade like Sherman grade coming into Bishop I would want it off as to control speed on the grade the brakes must be used every so often to bring the rpm's down. I want something that shows the stopping has increased from the downhill traveling speed.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #7
The brake lights don't flash when activated by the retarder they stay on, while on they activate the electric trailer brakes too which isn't good for the trailer brakes.
That's a good idea craneman if I knew which wire was the trigger
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #8
The brake lights don't flash when activated by the retarder they stay on, while on they activate the electric trailer brakes too which isn't good for the trailer brakes.
That's a good idea craneman if I knew which wire was the trigger
I will let you know.

Reply #9
Dave , you are absolutely correct about the safety aspect. I had planned on using a switch on the relay ground wire but this will require  more driving attention on my part. The retarder activating the brake lights is a great safety feature but under some circumstances using the cruise control and trailer brakes becomes an issue. Maybe an opportunity for a engineer to come up with a solution. If that retarder didn't work so well it wouldn't be such an issue. Only activate brake lights on position 5-6? Craneman I would think using the trigger or ground wire on that relay would work fine, ground may be easier to find. Jim.
Jim and Dona
2002 U295 36'
Trail 90 and 110cc

Reply #10
The ground wire would be much easier to find. I was trying to avoid taking the panel off beside the drivers seat to trace a wire on a switch that might not even be in that location.