Skip to main content
Topic: My basement rebuild (Read 4342 times) previous topic - next topic

My basement rebuild

I have been busy the last few days cutting out my basement floor. I have a sister coach to JohnFitz. A while back he posted a write up of his issue and rebuild.  In 2014 when I got this coach I had issues under battery box area and made repairs to support. I had found rot then.  I have been watching it and recently noticed more separation. I opened up the bottom and after seeing what I saw I decided to go ahead and fix it for good. I have been in contact with John and am going to try and follow his footprints in this repair. I have the bottom cut out and will pick up material tomorrow. My semi is in suspension shop for more days so I'll work on coach. Anyway here are some pictures, because everybody likes pictures..
91 GV U300 Unihome 40' Build 3811
6V92TA Detroit

Re: My basement rebuild

Reply #1
WOW is all I can say.. Just Wow.. Great undertaking.... Wow.  ^.^d  ^.^d  ^.^d

Reply #2
Mad skills Stump. Best wishes for a fast, easy fix.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #3
I have been busy the last frew days cutting out my basement floor. I have a sister coach to JohnFitz. A while back he posted a write up of his issue and rebuild.  In 2014 when I got this coach I had issues under battery box area and made repairs to support. I had found rot then.  I have been watching it and recently noticed more separation. I opened up the bottom and after seeing what I saw I decided to go ahead and fix it for good. I have beennin contact with John and am going to try and follow his footprints in this repair. I have the bottom cut out and will pick up material tomorrow. My semi is in suspension shop for more days so I'll work on coach. Anyway here are some pictures, because everybody likes pictures..
Was gonna come up and see if you needed help.....keep in touch...
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #4
I don't envy you, but I'm certainly glad that you're doing it right!
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #5
Stump- another person who did a basement rebuild is Don ( Acousticart).  He is another resource for DIY rebuilds.
Best of luck buddy, that is a big project, but I know you are a big man and can handle it.              ;)
Ted & Karen
2001 U270 36' - sold after 12 years full timing

Reply #6
Best paint I've found for rust is Rust Bullit,better then Por15,check them out.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #7
I will check it out, Thanks. I have everything covered in OSPHO now.
6V92TA Detroit

Reply #8
Holy smokes!
92 Grand Villa
Silver 6v92
 side isle.
build# 3973

Reply #9
Good luck with that. I don't envy you right now, but better to do it yourself than have someone else mess it up.
I found a severely rusted bolt on one of my bay slides  the other day. My basement was done by a not to be mentioned repair facility in Nac. Not sure  why one or more of these big bolts should be fully rusting out after only a few years after the job was done. But I suspect I know why.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #10
Go Stump....  I imagine most 91 motorhomes are headed ( or in) the bone yard. Good on ya for keeping a classic alive. 
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #11
I will check it out, Thanks. I have everything covered in OSPHO now.
Yes, OSPHO has been the standard rust treatment for deep sea sailors for many years.
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #12
And remember,OSPHO is good but it's a primer,it's only as good as the top coat.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #13
Really looking forward to seeing your progress on this project, Stump. You, Don and a few others set the bar pretty high! Thanks for posting the photos. In looking at the first one showing the entire structure I was reminded of my time in Nacogdoches when I got mine done by Motorhomes. I was down at the welding shop watching them work when one of the guys showed me pieces large and small of others they had worked on. Most looked much worse than yours. It will be great to have all new.
jor

Reply #14

Indeed!
Carol & Jeff Savournin
Usta have a '93 U225 36', Usta have a '95 U320 40', Usta have a '02 U320 40'
Usta have a 2006 Born Free, Usta have a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser
Usta have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4dr
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life."  Steve Jobs

Reply #15
Yes, OSPHO has been the standard rust treatment for deep sea sailors for many years.
I was turned on to it by a fireman on one of the fire boats at Long Beach Harbor. Have used it for years to stop the rust and because it becomes the primer just painted over it. On my boat trailer used Rustolium epoxy after the Ospho
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #16
30 + years ago when I worked at a chemical dipping company ( friend started it to clean his own 55 Chevy parts)  they used ospho to coat EVERYTHING when it came out of the  acid  Dip tank.  It immediately stopped all surface rust and I also learned how good it was for  attacking  general rust.
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #17
Basement Floor
I picked up my metal today and brought it home. I started on the rear bulkhead box tube . I measured and cut it to the old one. I fitted it up and secured it with clamps  adjusted it side to side and clamped it tight. I took my hand drill with a 5/16th cobalt bit and drilled into it to mark the locations. The holes by the tires are too close to get the drill in so I marked each one I could took steel off and over to my drill press setup and drilled those holes. I then took it back to the coach and bolted it up on the backside of the bulkhead. I then drilled the remaining holes through the opposite way because now I had room for the drill and bit. Tomorrow I will pick up new 3/8 grade 8 bolts and nuts and fasten it all back in. Then I  will start on the bay divider wall stringers and get all those holes drilled. This one piece was 4.5 hours of work. It doesn't look like much progress but in this repair it is a big milestone!
6V92TA Detroit

Reply #18
At my shop we use a solution that put a micro etch on the material and anywhere it touches the metal.. it has cut my rust service calls to almost nothing.. Might be worth making a plastic dipping tank with visqueen plastic roll.. with a rust inhibitor for the inside of the tube.. considering where its going... 2 2x4 on the ground with the plastic laid over it with the solution you can set the pieces of tube in to soak.. just an idea.

Reply #19
Interesting But I  think this repair will suffice. We are looking at a 28 year old coach also. I think this will last as long as I use it.
6V92TA Detroit

Reply #20
Interesting But I  think this repair will suffice. We are looking at a 28 year old coach also. I think this will last as long as I use it.
Dont think this would be for you for the most part... would be for the next guy.. if any ^.^d

Thats how I would do it just because..Dont think these really rust from the outside "in"... think the water gets through the bolts and water sits in the tube and rusts from the inside "out".. Just a guess.. Also, do what you feel is correct.. in 20 years I dont think it will matter as you say.

Reply #21
Basement Floor.
More progress made this afternoon after spending the morning chasing semi truck parts for the suspension shop.
I got all the 3/8 Grade 8 fasteners and mounted rear bulkhead 1/8 box tube. Next  was to cut and drill the first divider wall to proper length and then the holes to match up with existing holes in wall metal. The metal looks structurally good with nice clean threads. I will use new rolock bolts again on these walls as Foretravel did. I will use red locktight on final assembly and use my torque wrench to tighten them up.
What I am finding is the metal in old bottom is so corroded the measurements are not working out check check and check again. I am in a way having to reverse engineer this as I assemble it mounted on the coach. I ran a piece if box tube from the rear bulkhead up to the front cutoff and clamped it.this gave me a accurate reference point to measure over to divider wall holes and make accurate marks for the holes. My plan is to get the last divider wall stringer cut and drilled. Once it is mounted my plan is to check my original reference point measurement and if that is all good I will tack weld all this up on the coach bolted in position. Then drop it back out and cut and tack weld the box webbing in place. Then reinstall it making sure nothing has tweaked  if still good make  a couple good welds then drop it back out and finish weld it....
6V92TA Detroit

Reply #22
For metal airplanes ( and old race cars)we blow hot linseed oil into the  tubes.
 Really nice job Stump. I assume that  you have the bus on jack stands for the entire length?  Well done.

Reply #23
For metal airplanes ( and old race cars)we blow hot linseed oil into the  tubes.
 Really nice job Stump. I assume that  you have the bus on jack stands for the entire length?  Well done.
I have it sitting on. 2x6 blocks i used levels and got it pretty dang level side to side and front to back. I then put 8 4x4 blocks cut at 8" between upper and lower frame rails and dropped air bags.I  made some measurements from rear bulkhead forward past where I cut so if anything shifted front to back i would know and be able to correct it. So far nothing seems to have changed.
6V92TA Detroit

Reply #24
In the Aircraft world, they use AV40. Ardrox AV 40 is a heat resistant, colorless, corrosion inhibiting compound (CIC) that forms a tack-free, firm film. AV 40 is applied as a corrosion-inhibiting coating to protect metals commonly used in airframe structures and in aerospace components. AV 40 is designed for use in areas of the aircraft exposed to elevated temperatures. Typical applications include engine components, pylons and cowlings. AV 40 will withstand continuous temperatures up to 150°C (302°F) and short term exposure to temperatures up to 210°C (410°F). AV 40 is colorless and can be applied to aircraft exterior surfaces exposed to high temperatures, (for example, adjacent to auxiliary power unit (APU) exhaust systems where hot gases are expelled).
AV 40 is not affected by contact with alkaline cleaning chemicals or high pressure hot water cleaning.
Future Foretravel Owners
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Retired USAF, Retired DOD Civ's
FAA A&P, Indust. Eng., Acft Depot Lvl. Maint.
Larry and Becky Rountree