Skip to main content

Topic: My basement rebuild (Read 1744 times) previous topic - next topic

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
My basement rebuild
I have been busy the last few days cutting out my basement floor. I have a sister coach to JohnFitz. A while back he posted a write up of his issue and rebuild.  In 2014 when I got this coach I had issues under battery box area and made repairs...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: My basement rebuild
Reply #1
WOW is all I can say.. Just Wow.. Great undertaking.... Wow.  ^.^d  ^.^d  ^.^d

Reply #2
Mad skills Stump. Best wishes for a fast, easy fix.

Reply #3
I have been busy the last frew days cutting out my basement floor. I have a sister coach to JohnFitz. A while back he posted a write up of his issue and rebuild.  In 2014 when I got this coach...

Reply #4
I don't envy you, but I'm certainly glad that you're doing it right!

Reply #5
Stump- another person who did a basement rebuild is Don ( Acousticart).  He is another resource for DIY rebuilds.
Best of luck buddy, that is a big project, but I know you are a big man and can handle it.              ;)

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Best paint I've found for rust is Rust Bullit,better then Por15,check them out.

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I will check it out, Thanks. I have everything covered in OSPHO now.

Reply #8
Holy smokes!

Reply #9
Good luck with that. I don't envy you right now, but better to do it yourself than have someone else mess it up.
I found a severely rusted bolt on one of my bay slides  the other day. My basement was done by a not to be mentioned repair facility...

• Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:16:51 am by Bob and Julie

Reply #10
Go Stump....  I imagine most 91 motorhomes are headed ( or in) the bone yard. Good on ya for keeping a classic alive. 

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
I will check it out, Thanks. I have everything covered in OSPHO now.
Yes, OSPHO has been the standard rust treatment for deep sea sailors for many years.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
And remember,OSPHO is good but it's a primer,it's only as good as the top coat.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Really looking forward to seeing your progress on this project, Stump. You, Don and a few others set the bar pretty high! Thanks for posting the photos. In looking at the first one showing the entire structure I was reminded of my time in...

Reply #14
Holy smokes!

Indeed!

Reply #15
Yes, OSPHO has been the standard rust treatment for deep sea sailors for many years.
I was turned on to it by a fireman on one of the fire boats at Long Beach Harbor. Have used it for years to...

Reply #16
30 + years ago when I worked at a chemical dipping company ( friend started it to clean his own 55 Chevy parts)  they used ospho to coat EVERYTHING when it came out of the  acid  Dip tank.   It immediately stopped all surface rust and I also...

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Basement Floor
I picked up my metal today and brought it home. I started on the rear bulkhead box tube . I measured and cut it to the old one. I fitted it up and secured it with clamps  adjusted it side to side and clamped it tight. I took my...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
At my shop we use a solution that put a micro etch on the material and anywhere it touches the metal.. it has cut my rust service calls to almost nothing.. Might be worth making a plastic dipping tank with visqueen plastic roll.. with a rust...

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Interesting But I  think this repair will suffice. We are looking at a 28 year old coach also. I think this will last as long as I use it.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Interesting But I  think this repair will suffice. We are looking at a 28 year old coach also. I think this will last as long as I use it.
Dont think this would be for you for the most part......

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Basement Floor.
More progress made this afternoon after spending the morning chasing semi truck parts for the suspension shop.
I got all the 3/8 Grade 8 fasteners and mounted rear bulkhead 1/8 box tube. Next  was to cut and drill the first divider...

Reply #22
For metal airplanes ( and old race cars)we blow hot linseed oil into the  tubes.
 Really nice job Stump. I assume that  you have the bus on jack stands for the entire length?  Well done.

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
For metal airplanes ( and old race cars)we blow hot linseed oil into the  tubes.
 Really nice job Stump. I assume that  you have the bus on jack stands for the entire length?  Well...

Reply #24
In the Aircraft world, they use AV40. Ardrox AV 40 is a heat resistant, colorless, corrosion inhibiting compound (CIC) that forms a tack-free, firm film. AV 40 is applied as a corrosion-inhibiting coating to protect metals commonly used in...