Skip to main content
Topic: Need suggestions. Broke down  (Read 2012 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Need suggestions. Broke down

Reply #50
If the turbo lost a piece or bent the shaft ,the balance goes way off and it gets very noisy /whiney.

Reply #51
Check sensors before replacing the turbo. If you must, check prices on ebay. I've installed a lot of turbos on MBZ and 7.3 IH/Ford and have 450,000 on original turbo on our 300SD and have not experienced any failures. If you fast idle for ten minutes after pulling hard, you won't get heat soak that produces coke in the turbo and causes it to fail. Newer big rigs have software to prevent high oil temperature shutdown. Synthetic oil won't coke.

Read the whole article: The Top Reasons For Turbo Failures | CarBibles

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #52
We purchased a 27 foot Nor'sea sailboat in Anacortes, Wa 16 years ago or so and proceeded to drive it to Bradenton Florida. Pulling with a turbo diesel Ford Excursion. Pretty new.
On I5 in Grants Pass, Oregon, lost power on the highway with lots of smoke out the back. Finally was able to get a cell signal, and get a tow in to Grants Pass, which was just a few miles up the highway, I thought we were further back. No gps on phones then.
After a short while, and treated very well at the local Ford dealership, we were on our way. Turbo boost hose was bad and had to be changed out. Had to wait for the part.
So yeah similar symptoms to your problem.
Don't get me started on the algae in the fuel issue we had with a tayana 37 in Houston.......
Hope you get it sorted.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #53
Dang, we got a lot of "Blow Boaters" here.

Dianne and I have had any, many over the decades, but most miles were in a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37'
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #54
Sorry for the delay today, decided to turn lemons into lemonade. Took the toad up to Angel Fire for a road trip out of the coach. When I rotated the shaft, you could visibly see the wobble of probably 1/8". When the techs got here the first thing they did was a diagnostic tests. No codes were popped and there was no boost reading. Where is the boost sensor and how can it be checked? 
Hopefully the new turbo will arrive tomorrow and can be installed. We will continue to Phoenix and change direction for our return trip home.

Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #55
My last post showed up several hrs late. Internet is evidently lagging here on the plains :)

Still waiting to hear from mechanics the part are in. Where is the turbo boost sensor and can it be checked somehow?

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #56
. Where is the turbo boost sensor and can it be checked somehow?

Larry,

It should be screwed into the drivers side of the intake manifold almost over the most forward cylinder. For your engine I think the part number that you need is 492-1501 BUT go to Cummins quick serve with your engine number and make sure.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #57
Thanks Mike, I will see what I can find.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #58
Wishing you the best Larry!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #59
Mike, I looked and there are 2 sensors in the area, which one is it if you know?  I pulled up the part number on Rockauto and it looks similar to the front larger one of the two. What would the other one be?

Thanks,
Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #60
Mike, I found my engine manual. The 2nd sensor is the boost temperature sensor.

Thanks for the guidance. Looking for engine plate to positive ID the part number.

Thank goodness for this forum and the great members.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #61
Larry,
Your ID plate should be on the passengers side of the engine just behind the A/C compressor.

IIRC the sensor your are looking for is the one with 3 wires not the one with just 2 wires.
The one with the 2 wires is for the air in the manifold temp. you just mentioned.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #62
Mike, found engine plate, all necessary info, couldn't log online called dealer in Amarillo. None in stock,verifying part for my engine will call me back. Good thing that I'm retired and have time but sure would like some different scenery.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318