Skip to main content

Topic: Need suggestions. Broke down  (Read 1524 times) previous topic - next topic

Need suggestions. Broke down
Need ideas. Drove 450 miles at 55 to 65 no problem. Turned off main highway to get to campground. Suddenly lost power. Saw small amounts of black smoke from exhaust and couldn't get over 45. Turned onto another road and was at 35 max. Limped into...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Need suggestions. Broke down
Reply #1
Larry,

You are doing the "first step" replacing both fuel filters.

Look carefully at the old ones to see if they look gnarly.

Reply #2
Betting 90% it's your fuel filters. What you are experiencing is typical fuel starvation. If you don't mind a wrap on the knuckles, have at least two sets of filters. You could have been stranded further away from a parts store and having a dead...

Reply #3
Thanks Brett and Pierce. I didn't get a secondary filter but called before they closed and can pick up in the morning.
The fuel in the clear bottom appears clear and green. When I remove it I will look for contamination.

Thanks for the reminder...

Reply #4
Did you get any warning lights or alarms?  Or was it just a slow down in speed?

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
If you change the filters and still get a slowing down issue it could be crap in your supply line caused by crud coming in from your fuel tank.
(don't ask me how I know 'cause I do know)

Reply #6
No warning. Slowed from hi way speed, made a left turn and no power. I will check fuel lines and ecm cables  while down there.

Larry

Reply #7
Nitehawk, that is one of my worries that I got some bad fuel that ruined the tank. Still got 2/3 of tank.

Larry

Reply #8
It's not possible to ruin the tank. It may be just clogged over a period of time. Probably not much water in the tank or you would see it in the bottom of the primary filter. Good to purchase some biocide additive and keep using it for a while....

Reply #9
First place to look it the pre-screen filter.  You cannot see it on this setup without taking it all apart but it should trap tank sludge before it gets to the next filter.  I do not know if this one is cleanable, hope so.

Diagnostics/history on...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
How green is the fuel,that may be the problem,would do like the above and carry 2 or 3 sets after you fix this problem.
I'm not a believer of the "bad fuel" theroy,it's possible but everyone else would be broke down too,why just you?

Reply #11
After thinking about it last night l am wondering if I could have possibly shook up gunk from the very rough road that I traveled on. I have about 2500 miles on this filter. As per talking with Roger, the first thing that I will do is pull the...

Reply #12
I'm not a believer of the "bad fuel" theroy,it's possible but everyone else would be broke down too,why just you?
Lots of diesel is green in color. Algae is black. All it takes is a little water...

Reply #13
I just got off the phone with technical assistance at Parker Racor. If you refer to reply number 9 from Rogers post that is the old style of 790r which has a pre-filter. Apparently I have a newer version which does not have the pre-filter the...

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Don't overlook the fuel shut off solenoid. There is a spring in there that if it breaks or hangs up the fuel rack will not fully open and provides the same symptoms.

Reply #15

To inspect an old filter, take a hacksaw and cut it so you can separate the top and bottom.

Pierce

If you want to avoid the debris left over from opening up a filter with a...

Reply #16
Changed the filters and got the engine running.  Drove around the campgrounds up to 20 mph, seemed okay. Got on the hi way and still short on power. Turned around after 1/2 mile and came bacwe are wto campground. The wife was following and said...

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Check all the turbo boot connections. Look good at the boots for one torn. If you are losing boost pressure you will have low power. CAC could be culprit also. " charge air cooler "

Reply #18
What to look for on the Cac?

Reply #19
On the CAC, look for any cracks particularly around inlet/outlet.

But, hoses/boots a more likely suspect.

Reply #20
If it is  hose/boot,  is there a temporary work around if new not available.

Reply #21
Larry,
Depends on what you find.

I have had the clamps break allowing a pretty massive loss of boost.

If a hose is split, not much option, as you are talking about some substantial PSI.

Reply #22
Thanks. Checking now but so far they look good. How can I check the turbo to see if it is free?

Reply #23
Duct tape .

Reply #24
You can check the turbo on the"cold" side, where air comes in by removing rubber boot and checking to see if the veins have damage or the veins free spool. I attached a cut out photo. But black smoke can also be a sign off too much fuel not...