Skip to main content

Topic: Generator Fuel Line Replacement (Read 653 times) previous topic - next topic

Generator Fuel Line Replacement
Does anyone know how many feet and the size of fuel hose needed for the generator supply and return hoses?  Any tips on how to replace them?

The previously owner told me he never used the generator as he was always in a place with shore power, so...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Generator Fuel Line Replacement
Reply #1
Do you have the front or side generator? The side generator supply line can be changed out in 30 minutes WITHOUT pulling the generator out on it's slides. The old line snakes around the other lines and makes it really hard if you attach the new...

Reply #2
Do you have the front or side generator? 

Pierce

Pierce, 
Thank you for the details and suggestions.  Ours is a front mount, but will give it a try this weekend.

Reply #3
Replacing part of the hose can take care of air leaks if the crack is the hose that is up front from being flexed.  Use a pair of barb connectors to join new with old.  Lots of access under coach above front axle.

If this quick fix takes...

Reply #4
There's plenty of posts on the forum about replacing a fuel lines in the U320. Crane man as well as myself have made posts on it in the last year, just do a search. I use crane man's measurements when I replace mine and found that I had a fair...

Reply #5
Hoping you are also planning to replace the ones to the big engine at the same time?

Once one set develops leaks, it's generally time to do them all.

Reply #6
There's plenty of posts on the forum about replacing a fuel lines in the U320. Crane man as well as myself have made posts on it in the last year, just do a search. I use crane man's...

Reply #7
Had a little time to work on the generator this weekend. After examining the fuel hose, it looked like it has been recently replaced as it appeared new and felt supple, but did notice the clamp was loose.  Tightened it and the generator ran for...

Reply #8
A loose water pump belt slowly causes overheating

Reply #9
A loose water pump belt slowly causes overheating
I will check the belt.  Thanks for that info.

The new fuel line I ordered arrived and spent some time running it tonight only to find I...

• Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:47:11 am by DayDreamer

Reply #10
I believe the air in fuel issue is resolved.  I replaced the short section of supply line with 5/16 hose and after bleeding out all of the air, the generator then ran for 20 or 30 minutes (did not time it) and shut down.  I still have the clear...

Reply #11
1.  The radiator is located in the bay under the driver's seat.
1a. Am I correct in assuming the electric fan should come on to blow air over that radiator?
1b.  I cannot hear anything, so...

Reply #12
I think my generator issues are resolved..  Original issue was definitely air in the fuel lines.  Second issue was generator fan was not running because I did not have the unmarked toggle switch in the on position.  Has been running for over an...

Reply #13
DayDreamer,

Be aware that the "toggle switch" is actually a circuit breaker. Over time it can become weak and trip easily, shutting down the fan. I had to replace my circuit breaker several years ago.

Reply #14
DayDreamer,

Be aware that the "toggle switch" is actually a circuit breaker. Over time it can become weak and trip easily, shutting down the fan. I had to replace my circuit breaker...

Reply #15
Sorry, no part numbers. It has been a long time ago. As I recall I bought the part from Power Tech.

Reply #16
Definitely good to know.  Any chance you have a part number or is there a specific name I should use when I search for the switch/breaker?
Chris posted these p/n's several years ago:

Reply #17
DayD,

There is a junction box just above the remote fan, so remove the cover and make sure one of the wire nuts have not came loose. While there do a quick run again and see if you have...

Reply #18
In the for what it is worth category, I opened the junction box above the remote fan to check the connections and confirm power.  The twist on wire connectors (ie. wire nuts) are too big...

Reply #19
The wires entering a wire nut are not supposed to be twisted when you insert them. The old school of twisting the wires and using friction tape does not apply to using a wire nut.
I agree...

Reply #20
If the wire nut was too large it would not twist them correctly.

Reply #21
(ie. wire nuts) are too big for the two wires which appear to be 14g  wires so the connections were tenuous at best. 

DayD,

I have found several like that. On one coach it had started to...

Reply #22
Rule of  thumb in a boat is to never use a wire nut on a electrical connection due to its constant movement. I believe that a RV while not exactly the same should benefit from that same idea. I try to never use a wire nut  on my RV, and replace...

Reply #23
Rule of  thumb in a boat is to never use a wire nut on a electrical connection due to its constant movement. I believe that a RV while not exactly the same should benefit from that same...