Skip to main content

Topic: Preventative maintenance and possible battery upgrade  (Read 1144 times) previous topic - next topic

Preventative maintenance and possible battery upgrade
Hannah and I are in Floral City, FL until the middle of February after that we'll be making our way to Hungry Horse Montana where I will be workamping for the summer.  We'll be making several stops on the way but from here to there it's about...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Preventative maintenance and possible battery upgrade
Reply #1
Several members have bought 8d AGM's at O'Reilly's I'm sure they can give more information. That would be the main thing to do. You could upgrade your inverter at this time and add solar later if you want to go that way. Don't remember any posts...

Reply #2
Tyler, I recommend calling AM solar. They put in my system, both lithium as well as solar. You can DIY it but it can be complicated to the uninitiated. But you first have to know what it is you need. So start with a energy audit. Knowing how much...

• Jack L
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Please understand, my recommendations are based on your short post, my recommendations are based on a lot of years with rvs, solar, dry camping and being plugged in.  I know not how long you plan to use this rv, you may not either.  So being...

Reply #4
The Soft Boulders wrote:

"The other thing I was wondering about was updating our house batteries so that we could possibly dry camp for a few days or maybe even a week at a time on our way up there.  Our house batteries are only two years old but...

• Jack L
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
If you choose to go the Oriellys route, make sure you get the ones with the grey case, black top, as these AGMs are made by East Penn and have served many on the forum for years if properly taken care of as explained above.

Make sure to order the...

Reply #6

"Leaky" is an ambiguous term.  Are they leaking electrolyte?  Or are they leaking electrons?  In an early Russian to English translation of the Ural motorcycle manual a warning was...

Reply #7
Maybe we're just not ready to upgrade our battery system. I was mainly trying to find a way to save us some money by dry camping on our way to Montana.  We've spent all we're really going to on the coach as far as upgrades and comfort. 

If we had...

Reply #8
Your problem with your batteries leaking may only be from your charger overcharging them. You should have a three stage charger and after the charging been completed, check voltage after a couple of hours. Should be around 12.7 volts. Drive to a...

Reply #9
If we had another coach things would be different but as for now I'm not interested in solar panels or expensive chargers and whatnot.  I like the idea of being able to run the...

• Jack L
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Alot of good advice here from others, Pierce, and the Old Toolmaker above.  I bought my last two 300 watt panels, two months ago, off a local CraigsL ad, delivered to my  door, by him for for $330, total. I mounted in one day using AMSolar...

Reply #11
I really appreciate everyone's feed back and their opinions. 

I don't know if we'll go through with any upgrades but I'm going to start by checking our current batteries and having them load tested as suggested.

Is it safe to disconnect the...

• Jack L
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Yes, the Xanrex XC2000 would replace all.  You would just have two ATSs, the FT ATS and another backing up by the internal replacement
Xantrex XC2000 inverter/charger.  You would gain by getting a better charger, and sine wave inverter designed...

Reply #13
Yes, the Xanrex XC2000 would replace all.  You would have the FT ATS and it is backed up by the internal to the inverter/charger ATS.

When you said: "Our coach has the factory installed...

Reply #14
It is a Taytronics 1500 watt inverter and switch panel.
We had that same inverter and control panel on our coach when we bought it.  We eventually replaced both the inverter and the...

• Jack L
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
As far as wiring your new inverter/charger, you will have a 120v line in from your current automatic transfer switch and a 120V line going out to your 120V breaker box.  Simple for an electrician, you need to judge your own skills.  Caution as...

Reply #16
After late 1997 all Foretravel  coaches came with inverters that can if a optional battery temp management is hooked up that auto adjust the charging voltages per the temp at the batteries, 14.4 can be 1 volt high or more in desert hot weather.

Reply #17
We had that same inverter and control panel on our coach when we bought it.  We eventually replaced both the inverter and the separate battery charger/converter with a Magnum MS2812...

Reply #18
I believe you might appreciate  this.  It looks like you have allready a 75 amp, not7.5 amp charger, as original equipment.

That would be nice and if thats the case we might not have to...

Reply #19
That would be nice and if thats the case we might not have to upgrade?  I'll check take pics when we get home.
Take the photographs, I don't know when the switching mode power supplies...

Reply #20
The first and most important thing to do is get rid of that silver converter that changes your batteries as it will for sure overcharge them and that is why you are seeing liquid on top of the batteries. You probably have to add water quite often...

Reply #21
Did you guys have the converter/charger in the bay next to the outside sink and water hookups?
Did you place your new inverter in the same place as the old one?
Our original inverter...

Reply #22
This is the converter charger in the coach now. The picture will not upload but it is a Magnetek model TU-775-2 and it says 75 amps at 12v DC, 14.5 amps at 120v AC and an average charge rate of 7.5 amps.

Is this the one that boils batteries?  As...

Reply #23
This is the converter charger in the coach now. The picture will not upload but it is a Magnetek model TU-775-2 and it says 75 amps at 12v DC, 14.5 amps at 120v AC and an average...

• Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:23:24 am by wolfe10

Reply #24
You would be wise to upgrade to a "smart" charger if you choose not to dump money into the rv. A $200 smart charger from progressive dynamics will save you huge money replacing batteries that the magnetek is overcharging.

Spending a little more...

• Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:23:45 am by wolfe10