Skip to main content

Topic: Converting house batteries to Lithium-Ion (Read 1288 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting house batteries to Lithium-Ion
Time to replace the house batteries  in my 2000 U320, and I would like to switch to lithium-ion for the longevity. I found a source where I can acquire them for a reasonable price, but can't seem to locate any information as to what changes will...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Converting house batteries to Lithium-Ion
Reply #1
Time to replace the house batteries  in my 2000 U320, and I would like to switch to lithium-ion for the longevity. I found a source where I can acquire them for a reasonable price, but can't...

• Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:49:29 pm by Jack Lewis

Reply #2
When you say Lithium ion, what chemistry are they? 
Lithium Iron Phosphate, LiPO, are what most of us are using and are considered the safest chemistry.

Reply #3
Also What type of batteries?  Are they drop in replacement like Battle Born or homemade ones.  The answers depend on many different factors.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Post up what your coach has as in inverter and any solar or what nots..

We can start with the basics. What size bank are you planning and have you done any measurements of use? Do you have a monitoring system now?

Start us from the beginning and...

Reply #5
A lithium bank has to have a good bms to work. Or it could be a short visit in your coach. I looked for a long time at them, planned on building my own system, then bought a coach that already had a professional install with Victron in it. AM...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
A lithium bank has to have a good bms to work. Or it could be a short visit in your coach. I looked for a long time at them, planned on building my own system, then bought a coach that...

• Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:41:00 pm by DavidS

Reply #7
"Lithium Iron Phosphate, LiPO, are what most of us are using and are considered the safest chemistry."

Just to clarify the technical details, LiPo is lithium polymer (think cell phones, "hoverboards", etc.) and is known to be somewhat unstable in...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
You don't want to create a Frankenstein rig like I did. Home brew rigs are not as maintainable due to the non-standard configurations. It is harder to sell a rig with a home-brew electrical system. That said, I just purchased a lightly used Tesla...

• OSIN
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #9
After all my research and experience with a few manufacturers, I'd have to say VIctron Multiplus Inverter/Chargers is a really great way to go. Probably a 3000 for your rig. Which is what we used in our 2003 U295, A very simple swap. If you're an...

• OSIN
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #10
You don't want to create a Frankenstein rig like I did. Home brew rigs are not as maintainable due to the non-standard configurations. It is harder to sell a rig with a home-brew electrical system....

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Me too, running a 21 kwh leaf gen 2 battery pack at 48 volts. It's in the S&B garage so I can monitor it. Much easier on the 7.2 kwh BattleBorn 12 volt system in the coach, set it and forget it.
But used EV batteries are getting so cheap, hard to...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
See my Tesla battery video at:

https://youtu.be/Ly9qbCge-5o

Reply #13
Don't do it! AGM's are better in cold and cheaper. Lithiums are still not there

Reply #14
Here is real world experience.

My Battleborns (600 ahrs) are charging and discharging down to -17°, (minus 17) that is as cold as it has been so far.  With my $10 per battery battery heaters they stay 40° or more above ambient and since they are...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
Just finished installing 2 Lithium pro 100 AH batteries in the coach,talked to them and Battle Born extensively at the show and went with them,the alternator will not overcharge them,we don't boondock,so far so good.

Reply #16
Don't do it! AGM's are better in cold and cheaper. Lithiums are still not there

Well I'm not really sure where you get your information from, but I can assure you that lithium's really are...

Reply #17
I can only speak of my own recent experiences with my 300 amps of Battle Born batteries along with 400 watts of solar.  We spent from Sunday to Friday morning at Q with the group.  Had 2 days of cloudy weather so didn't get a full charge back...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Talked extensivly with the president/owner of Lithium Pros and he assured me my 160 amp alternator at 13.8 volts all day long is
OK.

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
I have just ordered 6, two volt 600 AH silicone batteries. They don't lose any power in the cold so I thought I would try them. I boon
dock in the winter and with these batteries I might be able to run the generator less as they will take a charge...

Reply #20
Silicone?

Reply #21
Does anyone make UL listed li-ion batteries yet?  Other than just the cells?

Reply #22

Reply #23
Oldguy,

Please keep the forum updated on your silicone 2 volt batteries.  They sound intriguing. 

Richard

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
I choose the 2 volt batteries as they would  fit the best and yes I will keep forum up to date. It will be awhile until they arrive.