Skip to main content
Topic: Converting house batteries to Lithium-Ion (Read 1641 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting house batteries to Lithium-Ion

Time to replace the house batteries  in my 2000 U320, and I would like to switch to lithium-ion for the longevity. I found a source where I can acquire them for a reasonable price, but can't seem to locate any information as to what changes will need to be made to coach charging system.  Has anyone done this yet or can you offer advice as to where I can locate such information?
Dan
2000 U320 40'

Re: Converting house batteries to Lithium-Ion

Reply #1
Time to replace the house batteries  in my 2000 U320, and I would like to switch to lithium-ion for the longevity. I found a source where I can acquire them for a reasonable price, but can't seem to locate any information as to what changes will need to be made to coach charging system.  Has anyone done this yet or can you offer advice as to where I can locate such information?

Many forum members have received information and products with good after sale service, that you will find most important, from AM Solar in Springfield, OR., and Bay Marine in San Diego. Ca.  This is not the time to go with the lowest price seller.

RV Solar Panel Kits & Camping Solar Panels, Batteries & Chargers: AM

Bay Marine Supply

The most information I've gained has been from this forum's members by doing a forum search and AM Solar.  The following installation of Rogers should be of use to you.

600 AH Lithium Battery Installation
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #2
When you say Lithium ion, what chemistry are they? 
Lithium Iron Phosphate, LiPO, are what most of us are using and are considered the safest chemistry.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #3
Also What type of batteries?  Are they drop in replacement like Battle Born or homemade ones.  The answers depend on many different factors.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #4
Post up what your coach has as in inverter and any solar or what nots..

We can start with the basics. What size bank are you planning and have you done any measurements of use? Do you have a monitoring system now?

Start us from the beginning and we can help you move forward economically .. and help you do this correctly the first and only time

Reply #5
A lithium bank has to have a good bms to work. Or it could be a short visit in your coach. I looked for a long time at them, planned on building my own system, then bought a coach that already had a professional install with Victron in it. AM solar did the install and its very good. One can do their own system  if they know what they are doing. But the key is a bms. Cheap batteries might not cut it, but hard to say. Do your homework. They are typically not drop in replacements for agm or lead acid.
My system is 600 amp hours of which 480 is usable. I have 1500 watts of solar on the roof as well as a good solar charger to keep them charged. Victron bms. Victron inverter charger. My guess is around 15 coach bucks went into the system, or more with labor. They put it in the space the washer dryer was. Keeps them warm and there is good airflow with the louvered doors. I don't miss the washer. Yet....
I know I could have built a system for a bit less money. Others have too. But I like Victron's stuff, so I'll keep it, hopefully for a long time.
Bob
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #6
A lithium bank has to have a good bms to work. Or it could be a short visit in your coach. I looked for a long time at them, planned on building my own system, then bought a coach that already had a professional install with Victron in it. AM solar did the install and its very good. One can do their own system  if they know what they are doing. But the key is a bms. Cheap batteries might not cut it, but hard to say. Do your homework. They are typically not drop in replacements for agm or lead acid.
My system is 600 amp hours of which 480 is usable. I have 1500 watts of solar on the roof as well as a good solar charger to keep them charged. Victron bms. Victron inverter charger. My guess is around 15 coach bucks went into the system, or more with labor. They put it in the space the washer dryer was. Keeps them warm and there is good airflow with the louvered doors. I don't miss the washer. Yet....
I know I could have built a system for a bit less money. Others have too. But I like Victron's stuff, so I'll keep it, hopefully for a long time.
Bob
I did everything myself
1200w solar with 2 victron Charge controllers
1200ah Lithium Bought off Aliexpress with internal BMS for under and over currents (100% usuable) (400ah each approx cell or individual block)
Victron inverter multiplus 3000 with color Monitor
Battery monitor
Ran the wires/ made the brackets bought the electrical boxes and such at home depot
Ran#4 wire for future upgrades and ran 2 positive and 2 negative wires from top to basement

Probably have Half that cost in it but a few hours to put it in..That is what costs.. Guessing between $7-8K approx (guessing)
with new battery cable also..

IT can be done pretty cheap if you can do it yourself.. Take your time and buy supplies on sale  ( everything was new that I installed).

Reply #7
"Lithium Iron Phosphate, LiPO, are what most of us are using and are considered the safest chemistry."

Just to clarify the technical details, LiPo is lithium polymer (think cell phones, "hoverboards", etc.) and is known to be somewhat unstable in that it's prone to thermal runaway when charged incorrectly. Lithium Iron Phosphate is LiFePO4, or LFP to abbreviate, and is far more stable and is what we're discussing when referencing drop-ins (with an internal BMS) like Battle Born, Victron SuperPack, ReLiOn, or indeed most component packs (with an external BMS) like the Victron Smart LFP banks that several here on the forum have.

...I generally try not to nitpick, but the details are important when referencing battery chemistry.
Technical Support Manager and official poker of electronics at Laurel Technologies / Bay Marine Supply. Distribution and expert support of Victron Energy, Sterling Power, Blue Sea, Bussman, and Battle Born products.

Reply #8
You don't want to create a Frankenstein rig like I did. Home brew rigs are not as maintainable due to the non-standard configurations. It is harder to sell a rig with a home-brew electrical system. That said, I just purchased a lightly used Tesla Model 3 module for my Sprinter Van build. It was $2,500 for a 20KWH, 96volt battery. That's the equivalent of  1,666 amp hours  of 12VDC batteries. What a value!!

However, I had to use Chinese inverters to convert the 96VDC to 120VAC and 220VAC. Long story.
1997 U270 34FT Build 5140 Cummins 8.3 Allison 3060R
Solar 1920Watts, 14KWH lithium. Orion BMS.

Reply #9
After all my research and experience with a few manufacturers, I'd have to say VIctron Multiplus Inverter/Chargers is a really great way to go. Probably a 3000 for your rig. Which is what we used in our 2003 U295, A very simple swap. If you're an Escapees/Xscaper member Battle Born in Reno will give you a nice discount too. For the $39.00 for an Escapees membership even if you don't use it for anything else.

You can use it easily with Lifelines AGM/Gel/Lithium...I'm a Battle Born Fan because of the service and support, (not a Fanboy yet) other good Lithiums are out there, but the support...meh. I have at least 20 friends who have installed Battle Born Lithiums and not one issue?  Battle Born have super nice folks and they will pre-program your setup before shipping. I've been out to Reno 2 times and have had nothing but great experiences and a factory tour.

I also outfitted our new 2019 Camper van build with Battleborn/Victron, all Bluetooth, the stuff works awesome. Nothing wrong with Magnum or others, but Victron is easy, has great support, and Sean at Battle Born has shown they are in it for the long haul.

OK, enough of drooling over Battle Born, whatever you decide I'd recommend getting Marine Grade components! Forget all that e-bay no name junk. Good luck!
Prior 2003 U295  40ft  400Hp -Sold
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2021 Bundutec Roadrunner - Sold
2017 Airstream Classic - Sold that POS
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #10
You don't want to create a Frankenstein rig like I did. Home brew rigs are not as maintainable due to the non-standard configurations. It is harder to sell a rig with a home-brew electrical system. That said, I just purchased a lightly used Tesla Model 3 module for my Sprinter Van build. It was $2,500 for a 20KWH, 96volt battery. That's the equivalent of  1,666 amp hours  of 12VDC batteries. What a value!!

However, I had to use Chinese inverters to convert the 96VDC to 120VAC and 220VAC. Long story.
A friend also did the Tesla thing, with 6000W on the roof (Prevost) he's a very dangerous mad scientist, not for my faint heart
Prior 2003 U295  40ft  400Hp -Sold
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2021 Bundutec Roadrunner - Sold
2017 Airstream Classic - Sold that POS
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #11
Me too, running a 21 kwh leaf gen 2 battery pack at 48 volts. It's in the S&B garage so I can monitor it. Much easier on the 7.2 kwh BattleBorn 12 volt system in the coach, set it and forget it.
But used EV batteries are getting so cheap, hard to pass them up. I am using 5200 watts solar to charge Nissan Leaf batteries to charge a Tesla. Go figure.
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #12
See my Tesla battery video at:

https://youtu.be/Ly9qbCge-5o
1997 U270 34FT Build 5140 Cummins 8.3 Allison 3060R
Solar 1920Watts, 14KWH lithium. Orion BMS.

Reply #13
Don't do it! AGM's are better in cold and cheaper. Lithiums are still not there
1996 U295-36, Cummins 300hp, 8.3. Build number 4864. Vin number 1F97D536XTNO54271. Purchased October 31, 2019.

Reply #14
Here is real world experience.

My Battleborns (600 ahrs) are charging and discharging down to -17°, (minus 17) that is as cold as it has been so far.  With my $10 per battery battery heaters they stay 40° or more above ambient and since they are powered by the batteries themselves the batteries are active which helps keep them charging.  The low temperatures stated by the manufacturers are for static inactive batteries.  If your Battleborns are doing nothing and it is 20° they will not accept a high charge but they will accept a small (maybe 6 amps) charge and  slowly start to warm themselves internally.

In the last couple days we went for about 36 hrs running everything in the coach, residential refrig, Aqua Hot, lighting,TV and everything else with very little solar input and no other external power sources (no generator) and went from 100% SOC to 52% SOC. About 290 amp hrs. Then we plugged in and the Victron Multiplus had them back to 100% SOC in about 5 hrs splitting 100 amp charge between 6 batteries. 

Price points make them not for everyone but considering you should get 10 yrs out of them and you will save more than 400 lbs of battery weight they are worth looking at.  And prices will keep coming down.

So real world experience with them set up right says they work for us and will for you as well.  Understand how they work and solve the issues to make them work for you.

Reply #15
Just finished installing 2 Lithium pro 100 AH batteries in the coach,talked to them and Battle Born extensively at the show and went with them,the alternator will not overcharge them,we don't boondock,so far so good.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #16
Don't do it! AGM's are better in cold and cheaper. Lithiums are still not there

Well I'm not really sure where you get your information from, but I can assure you that lithium's really are quote there unquote. There is no doubt that lithium-ion batteries are more expensive. They're also is no doubt that lithium's have some difficulty in the cold. However as many of us already know, the expense, over their lifespan, make them cheaper then a good quality AGM battery. And there are ways to deal with the cold issue to make it a non-issue. On Rogers coach, he installed the Battle Born heaters. On mine they're installed inside. Since my body doesn't like the cold either I keep it warm inside when it's cold outside. I also have a battery management system or BMS, that will prevent the batteries from being charged if there below a certain temperature. The other thing that I really like about these batteries is the weight reduction, and size reduction. They don't take up much space and they don't weigh very much. On these coaches that can mean a lot. They also can accept a really high rate of charge, and can be discharged rapidly without damaging them. And there cycle life is far beyond lead acid technology.
Batteries like wives are to each is own. What one person may love another person may not. If you're the kind of person that goes from RV park to RV Park then the expense of these kinds of batteries is not needed. You can get by with  AGM's from O'Reilly's and be fine. If you like to be off the beaten path a little bit more then this kind of technology will really shine.
My last sailboat I put in thin plate pure lead battery technology. At the time that was Hi-Tech. Lithium's were beyond the reach of most people. These these days though lithium's are the hi tech. And are available to anybody with the pocketbook to afford them. I don't think there's any doubt in all of that. Are they really needed in your coach? Only you can decide that. Let us know what you do decide.

Also to answer the original post, my batteries are not charged via coaches alternator. The charge strictly through the solar controller which is the largest Victron makes, as well thru the Victron multiplus inverter charger. At some point I may look into putting in a larger alternator and a dc-to-dc charger. But at this point I don't feel I need it. So the batteries are charged by solar, by the generator, or by plugging in. I have both a victron battery monitor as well as their color monitor. It gives me a really good idea what's going on with the system.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #17
I can only speak of my own recent experiences with my 300 amps of Battle Born batteries along with 400 watts of solar.  We spent from Sunday to Friday morning at Q with the group.  Had 2 days of cloudy weather so didn't get a full charge back those days.  Even so we did not have to run our generator to recharge.  We did get down to 20% Friday morning but that didn't even concern me.  On our Alaska trip last summer we spent 1/2 the time dry camping and didn't need the generator there either.
For us these work fantastic and I wouldn't consider going back to lead acid.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #18
Talked extensivly with the president/owner of Lithium Pros and he assured me my 160 amp alternator at 13.8 volts all day long is
OK.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #19
I have just ordered 6, two volt 600 AH silicone batteries. They don't lose any power in the cold so I thought I would try them. I boon
dock in the winter and with these batteries I might be able to run the generator less as they will take a charge faster. They take
less space (I will be able to put a shelf above them) and weight less than the AGM batteries that are in there now.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #20
Silicone?
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #21
Does anyone make UL listed li-ion batteries yet?  Other than just the cells?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #22
Silicone Batteries

Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #23
Oldguy,

Please keep the forum updated on your silicone 2 volt batteries.  They sound intriguing. 

Richard
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #24
I choose the 2 volt batteries as they would  fit the best and yes I will keep forum up to date. It will be awhile until they arrive.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport