Skip to main content
Topic: 1990 U300 bulkhead (Read 729 times) previous topic - next topic

1990 U300 bulkhead

Is this the area talked about for the bulkhead issue? 

Re: 1990 U300 bulkhead

Reply #1
Yes.

Start by reading this thread: Bulkhead Repair-- A Comprehensive Look
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Here is my recent repair on my 91U300

My basement rebuild
91 GV U300 Unihome 40' Build 3811
6V92TA Detroit

Reply #3
Not sure why my pic didn't display.  Anyway, I have read extensively on the bulkhead issue starting with the article recommended from Brett.  As a prospective buyer I wanted to ensure I was evaluating the exact location of the bulkhead.  I understand what's going on with the bulkheads however haven't physically been under a Unihome inspecting the bulkheads hands-on myself; only photo's.  Haven't found one within a reasonable distance to me (interested in the Grand Villa style late 80's to early 90's).  Been on this fantastic forum for several months learning all I can.  I also understand the bulkhead issue can be overthought as some have said however as you can clearly see by Stumps repair and others, the range of damage can be huge to say the least.  So really anyone in the market such as myself needs to do their homework and get thoroughly familiar with this issue which in my opinion is not minor due to the monocoque design.  In my opinion it should be a manufacturer recall or service bulletin at the very least.  Is there a safe amount of bulkhead damage &/or bolts that break upon torque inspection that can be safely driven?  Where's the line drawn that makes the coach non roadworthy as far as bulkhead corrosion damage?               

Reply #4
Without X-ray vision, the exact extend of damage is often difficult to discern.

Yes, check the the bolts are not broken (torque wrench). 

Yes, look for "rust jacking" where the box beams have pushed down the white fiberglass underbody.

Yes, look closely at places water can get into the structure-- the drop down door in the wet bay for example.

Yes, look at general condition of chassis rust-- if driven on salted roads and not washed off.............
Brett Wolfe

Reply #5
Rick & Hilda looking forward to full- timing one day for now couple of months at a time
1999 U270 3602
Built number  5530.  Feb 1999            Motorcade  number 18438
8.3 Cummins Allison six speed with brake  retarder
Purchased Nov 28 2019

Reply #6
Without X-ray vision, the exact extend of damage is often difficult to discern.

Yes, check the the bolts are not broken (torque wrench). 

Yes, look for "rust jacking" where the box beams have pushed down the white fiberglass underbody.

Yes, look closely at places water can get into the structure-- the drop down door in the wet bay for example.

Yes, look at general condition of chassis rust-- if driven on salted roads and not washed off.............
What Brett said: Here's what I found in ours. I skated on damage and only discovered the leak (kitchen) when looking in the fuel/propane compartment, a long ways from where the leak was! I now pull all the 'stuff' from both the kitchen and bath areas every once in a while (especially after a trip down 'blue highways') and check it out. This leak was barely noticed and only by pulling the drawers out did I see (gasp!) It had been going on for quite some time, but no structural damage!  b^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #7
The leak at the water heater (Mike's picture immediately above) is on LEVEL ABOVE the basement structure.  The leak is onto the floor of the interior of the motorhome.  The basement is below that.
Brett Wolfe