Skip to main content

Topic: Fluorescent light fixture upgrade to LED  (Read 11041 times) previous topic - next topic

Fluorescent light fixture upgrade to LED
I pulled out the old ballast and  fluorescent bulbs and installed new LED strips. The whole project was really easy and took about 30 minutes. Like all wiring jobs I soldered and heat shrunk the connections.

The new lights are very bright. In...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 07:11:38 pm by Eric & Alena + 3

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Fluorescent light fixture upgrade to LED
Reply #1
And if the strips come loose in the southern heat, put a dob of "Shoe Goo" on the backs.

Reply #2
Nice clean looking job. Curious to hear if you decide these are too bright.

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
I want to install them in my existing porch light. Do you think they will work there.?

Reply #4
Did that and it works fine.

Reply #5
Think I will give those a try. Thanks for the link.

Reply #6
Eric, Looks really nice and clean. I made new LED lights for mine last year. Really brightened up the coach, but maybe too much for the DW. I used 5 strips per fixture, I'm thinking of going back to redo with only 3 strips per fixture.

Larry

Reply #7
I made new LED lights for mine last year. Really brightened up the coach, but maybe too much for the DW. I used 5 strips per fixture, I'm thinking of going back to redo with only 3 strips per...

Reply #8
Good Job!  They keep coming out with interesting lighting products incorporating LEDs.  Fun to wonder what will pop up next.

We rebuilt all the lights on our coach (interior and exterior) with LEDs.  I used long rolls of LED strips and cut them to...

Reply #9
I tried both warm white (lower Kelvin temps) and daylight white (higher Kelvin temps). Like Chuck and many we prefer the watm whit inside.  All daylight strips are in the bays.  And dimmers on most inside.  I used several strips in the...

• rclark
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #10
Eric
I used about the same LED lights. I only used one row in the smaller fixtures (front, bath, bedroom) in my coach and two strips in the larger fixtures. Yes it is bright but the older I get the worse my eyesight, so I like the bright lights,...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
I done all mine in 5000 except the front one which was done before I bought the coach and some time I will redo that one. I have
put led throughout the coach and except the porch light which I just need to buy a bulb, the passenger map light and...

Reply #12
These particular lights I bought are not waterproof and I would be leery using them on any of my external fixtures. It would probably be okay since most of those fixtures are sealed but they are also old and prone to leaks.

Great clean install...

• Balcanthez
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Eric,

When I changed over to LEDs, I tried warm white and cool white. The cool white were just too bright, and changed all the fixtures to warm white. I used the remaining roll of cool white in the basement lighting. I also used the 3m...

• MarkC
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #14
Eric, thanks for the tip.  Replaced every fluorescent light in the coach with the same strips you used (all Warm White), and we love them.  The only difference is I actually gutted the entire inside of the fixtures. Removed tubes, sockets, and...

Reply #15
I finally received them. I went with the daylight rather than the warm white. I removed the existing fixtures, covered the space with aluminum foil tape. I am using 2 per fixture now but might add a third. I want bright task lighting. When not...

Reply #16
Most LED strip lighting come with a double stick tape on the back and most of it is labeled 3M.  Most of it is not actually a 3M product but a fake knock off and in my experience most of it will not last long.

Get a roll of 3/8" glazier's tape. ...

Reply #17
You people are a bad influence on me.  I ordered one set of ten in 6000K.  I've replaced 3 ballasts so far and the bulbs don't seem to last the way they should, maybe because of the lower mercury level.  I give up.  I throw in the towel. I...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #18
Dimmer and 3500k
Scott

• NancyS
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Question, if you order the 20" long ones can you snip off 2" if you only need 18"?

Reply #20
Yes. There are clearly identified lines where you are supposed to make the cut. I used metal shears since it is printed on an aluminum board. It cut right through no problem. You can save the pierce you cut off and wore up another spot with it.

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
One is LED and the other is original florescent bulbs.  I can't remember which.  I did these a year and a half ago.  2 rows of single natural white LED self stick strips...el cheepos off Amazon.  Gutted the Thin Lite ballasts, etc.  So far the...

Reply #22
We installed the warm white in the bedroom and put 3 strips in each fixture.  The brightness is not overwhelming.   If we need more light we can turn on the side puck lights.  We used the same warm white behind all of the valances on all of the...

Reply #23
We installed the LED light strips inside the cabinets and I love them.  Stuck the LED light strip to the cleat above the cabinet doors and tied into the 12 volt light switch for the lighting under the cabinets.   They look great and I can find my...

Reply #24
Received our order of:

ICIH (Pack-10) Aluminum DC12V 9W SMD5630 Double Row 84LED 0.5M/20" Rigid...

this afternoon after placing the order on Sunday.  I didn't feel like jousting with the DMV late in the afternoon on a Monday so I gutted the...