Skip to main content

Topic: Solar project. What am I forgetting. What would you change? (Read 324 times) previous topic - next topic

Solar project. What am I forgetting. What would you change?
Michelin Star Solar Installation for Big Mac price
600 AH Lithium Battery Installation

Great info in the above posts!

$1184 for 1140 watts of solar
Panels seem to be something you can find for a bargain if you are patient and willing to look around.

I...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Solar project. What am I forgetting. What would you change?
Reply #1
Perhaps I missed it in your list of equipment, but I don't see any switches.  I believe it is prudent to have a disconnect switch between the panels and each solar controller, so you can safely isolate the panels (put them out of service) when...

Reply #2
For an inexpensive quick review of your first system, may I suggest watching "ALL" of the videos from AmSolar.  The book by Will Prowse on Solar DIY is also worthwhile, and there is nothing like reviewing the basics before  starting  your first...

• Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:47:44 am by Jack L

Reply #3
Perhaps I missed it in your list of equipment, but I don't see any switches.  I believe you need a disconnect switch between the panels and each solar controller, so you can isolate the...

Reply #4
I am using breakers in front of and behind the controller to be able to isolate the panel.
OK - I see that in your comments now - just missed it.  That should work.

Reply #5
Here are some general comments.

I am not sure it is best practice to use a breaker as a switch.  It is OK but it may degrade the performance of the breaker over time.  Consider adding switches.

You might want to add a fuse at the battery end as...

Reply #6
Thanks for the input!

I am not sure it is best practice to use a breaker as a switch.

You might want to add a fuse at the battery end as well. 
In discussing this with Justin at Bay...

Reply #7
Tommy,

I just used a regular stud finder to find the aluminum structural members in the roof and then screwed into them with stainless screws and washers, sealed by GE silicone II. Since the panels are long, I used one more mount midspan on our 77...

Reply #8
From eleven years ago, here is the list of parts and sources including prices. Panels are less expensive now.

If you have thought about a DIY solar installation but the sticker price is too much, here is how I did the whole thing using premium...

Reply #9
VHB tape on well prepped surfaces has a 91 pounds per square inch tensile strength. A 6"x 1.5" base gets you about 200 pounds vertical lift strength with a safety factor of 4.  That is about 800 pounds per panel.  I used 12" long mounts, rock...

Reply #10
VHB tape on well prepped surfaces has a 91 pounds per square inch tensile strength. A 6"x 1.5" base gets you about 200 pounds vertical lift strength with a safety factor of 4.  That...

Reply #11
I use the same Midnite Solar "baby box" with dc breakers, which also doubles being your disconnects between solar panels positive lead and the Victron solar contoler too.  Be sure you mount the Midnite dc breakers in the proper direction, as...

Reply #12
I use the same Midnite Solar "baby box" with dc breakers, which also doubles being your disconnects between solar panels positive lead and the Victron solar contoler too.  Be sure you mount the...

Reply #13
Lots of ways to get this done. The DC circuit breakers are one way.

I used a six circuit fuse block (three panels are connected in this picture. Each panel has its own fuse. Output from the fuse block goes through a switch. Output from the charge...