Skip to main content
Topic: Strip Lighting recommendation (Read 369 times) previous topic - next topic

Strip Lighting recommendation

I know it has probably been covered before, but I'm tired and grouchy
I need to install some led strip lighting in my light above the door, thanks to Twig, and also in the two big units, one in bath one at refrigerator, and maybe one other. Any recommendations as to a good source at reasonable price?
Thanks
I feel so much better already
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Re: Strip Lighting recommendation

Reply #2
^^^^^^ I have used those^^^^^^^
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #3
Yeah I use those extensively in all of my fluorescent lighting fixtures and I also put them in under the sink. After using them though I found that these things do put out quite a bit of heat. And they do not have a heat sink built into them. So you might want to check to make sure that your fixture can handle the heat load. in my interior fluorescent lighting I used a cheap foil tape from harbor freight. initially I just used it as a reflector thinking that it would just bounce more light back in, but I also realized afterwards that it would spread the heat. having so much heat put out from those I expect that they will not last as long as an LED bulb should which from reading should be anywhere from 20, 000 on up.
But if they only last a quarter of that time they'll be worth it for the price we paid for him. Not sure I would use them in the fixture above the door outside. My light there doesn't work and I haven't really had time to look at it yet. my idea would be to put in a bulb from m2 lighting. They make really quality LED bulbs that have built in heat sinks to them. But I don't know yet. Others have used the strip lighting without any problems.
Bob
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #4
Glenn, the one John mentioned above are really good. We prefer the Warm White, and as others have said they are being used everywhere. I have changed out all the fluorescents in the coach, the outside above the door light, the bathroom vanity fixtures, and even all the inside cabinets lights.  Great light output, good price and a big power saver.
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #5
I used strips and wireless remote dimmers from superbrightleds.com 5m White LED Strip Light - Radiant Series LED Tape Light - 12V/24V - IP20 |... on our last SOB. They come with 3M mounting tape that really stays put. They seem to run at a reasonable temperature. Probably not the least expensive place to buy LEDs (currently offering a 10% discount through 5/26), but I've had zero problems with anything I've purchased from them. I've replaced most of our FT running lamps with their products and have a lot of items waiting on me to install in the interior. I used their 3157-RHP28-T bulbs for the tail lamps in our SOB, FT, and the TOAD*. They're some real retina burners when the brakes are applied; probably saved us from getting rear-ended on more than one occasion.

*NOTE: These lamps are longer than incandescent, but will just fit inside UniCoach tail lamp housings. I had a cracked socket on one lamp, so I replaced both sockets with shorter ones I bought from NAPA. Fringe benefit was moving the bulb further in improved the light pattern, IMO.

Greg 
Greg & Cathy
2000 U320 4010 DGFE Build #5650
Had: 1999 Tradewinds 7370