Skip to main content

Topic: Adding solar (Read 1006 times) previous topic - next topic

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Adding solar
When I bought this coach last fall it came with 4 solar panels and almost every thing need to do solar. So first thing I did was
re gelcoat the roof which I did yesterday. Solar was not one of the things I really cared about, but as I have all the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Adding solar
Reply #1
Lots of different ways I'm sure will be posted. I bought the brackets from AM Solar and mounted them with the 3M tape attached to them. Been in some very heavy winds and no problems even at 80 mph in Texas.

Reply #2
I also bought my brackets from AMSolar, they came with the 3M 4950 vhb mounting tape. I am totally pleased.  Note, they have different brackets for different heights and different sized frames on the solar panels.  If you get different brackets...

• Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 01:27:48 am by Jack Lewis

Reply #3
Yes, several ways will work fine. I screwed ours down using stainless fasteners and used a regular stud finder to find the aluminum tubing in the roof. There are already a couple hundred screws through the roof. No harm in a few more if you seal...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
The only thing I think is missing is a combiner box for the breakers and the brackets to hold down the panels. I might make the
brackets.

Reply #5
The only thing I think is missing is a combiner box for the breakers and the brackets to hold down the panels. I might make the
brackets.
I made my brackets. Nothing to it with aluminum angle iron...

Reply #6
brackets.
I used this for my breakes, this unit will hold 4 breakers....

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Pierce I was going to ask you what you ran the wires through and in your last post you said vinyl electrical flex but I googled that
and it didn't come up.

Reply #8
Pierce I was going to ask you what you ran the wires through and in your last post you said vinyl electrical flex but I googled that
and it didn't come up.

25 ft w/ connectors $26
Sealproof...

Reply #9
and it didn't come up.
Not as old as me guy,

OK, here is the...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Thanks Pierce. I looked at your pictures off your install. I can't put my breakers there. I will put them with the controller where the Aqua hot over flow tank was. I will probably do all the panels with separate runs. I think that is what the...

Reply #11
You might be able to put it in the battery bay as I did.

final solar upgrad.

Reply #12
Chuck, I might have done just that and remoted the display but the Midnite controller is too tall to fit in our battery bay. Yours makes for a super short run from the controller to the battery.

Pierce

Reply #13
How many amps and volts does the 2030 watt solar system output?

Reply #14
How many amps and volts does the 2030 watt solar system output?
In perfect conditions (which never happen) 153 amps @ 13.2 volts. I had seen 80 amps with the system when it had 1140 watts

Reply #15
2030 watts will generate about 4000 watts into your system on an average day over the course of a year.  In January maybe 1/2 of that or less.  In mid July in ideal conditions 2-3 times the average.  

We have 1200 watts of panels and have...

Reply #16
I reccomended this video for any newbie or a forum member lookin to upgrade and wants to see up close what another did. It will give you a glimpse what is required, it is not a path to follow.  I bought some components from AMSolar and did the...

• Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 12:07:50 pm by Jack Lewis

Reply #17
Don't be intimidated by a video with a name like "Solar For Dummies" made by a guy that needs a shave.  :) Members of this forum are not dummies and most did quite a bit of research before purchasing their coach. A little more research will put a...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
I have drilled the lower holes today. Will leave the one on the roof till I get the box that is ordered. How much clearance should
I have between the panel and the roof.

Reply #19
How thick are your panels? If commercial like ours, they should be about an inch and a half. The electrical flex tubing that the wires go inside of is also about an inch and a half so with about an inch and a half all the way around, the fit is...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
My panels are edges are 11/4 and I'm hoping that an inch under the lip will be enough clearance to keep them cool.

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Well I finally got the solar working today. Still more to do. One of the panels wasn't working but I went out to check the system at
6.00 PM the voltage was up so I will hook it up tomorrow and see. I made the bracket and when I took up to the...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
One panels isn't working. It will put out 14 volts and as soon as I hook up a head light bulb it drops to 10 volts. The others put out
over 30 volts. I shortened the TV antenna so the left front one would fit. The cables aren't fastened yet. 

Reply #23
How about a photo of the data sticker on the back of the panel? They don't usually fail, the output is just lower after a few years. Check for damage to the panel and the wiring before getting rid of it. The glass can be broken and look terrible...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
I had it wired backwards so may have burnt something out. I've been trying to get hold of the manufactures to see what they
can tell me.