Skip to main content

Topic: Hydraulic fan controller DIY (Read 887 times) previous topic - next topic

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Hydraulic fan controller DIY
So a month ago Sven spoke about the Hydraulic fan controller modification
Hydraulic fan controller
My controller has been at 100% since I picked it up in June. Drove 6k miles and really couldn't figure out exactly what I wanted to do. His post was...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Re: Hydraulic fan controller DIY
Reply #1
My new Thermal Valve was installed Friday.  Works fine.

The line to the hyd motor installed fine.  The return line had to have an adapter from my hyd shop installed to fit the coaches return line.

Then the fans started on high with the engine...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
My new Thermal Valve was installed Friday.  Works fine.

The line to the hyd motor installed fine.  The return line had to have an adapter from my hyd shop installed to fit the coaches return line.

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
So after thinking about were it should be mounted talked to several friends of mine and one that rebuilds large Allison transmissions. He was very knowledgeable about the retarder and recommended installing the wax controller past the...

Reply #4
Just a reminder, anytime you are using the retarder for LONG descents it is important to use the Allison down arrow to keep the engine at the upper end of its RPM range and use the minimum retarder setting to keep your speed in check.

Higher...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Just a reminder, anytime you are using the retarder for LONG descents it is important to use the Allison down arrow to keep the engine at the upper end of its RPM range and use the minimum...

Reply #6
Good point. Thanks

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I like your idea of a 210 fan controller. I have a 190 fan controller and it is installed in the middle of the pipe from the thermostat
housing. I have a 190 degree thermostat so I think a higher fan control would be a good idea. As far as going...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
As far as going down hill I put in a
Jake Brake in so I don't use the retarder that much.
You should have the best setup. I'll keep an eye out for one. You are costing me money. Really liked...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
So finally after all the distractions I was able to take the coach out and do preliminary trial runs and leak checks. Ran for about a hour total. Rechecked all new hose clamps and checked for leaks. I had replaced the hose clamps on the trans...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Forgot to mention the background fans speed is almost zero. I installed a needle valve to easily adjust up if needed but so far have not. At zero the fans do not run at all.
Scott

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Scott you need the fans to run to keep the after cooled air cool. I put a 190 degree thermostat so the engine runs at 190 and I might
do what you did and get a 210 wax valve.

Reply #12
Forgot to mention the background fans speed is almost zero. I installed a needle valve to easily adjust up if needed but so far have not. At zero the fans do not run at all.
Scott

I would be VERY...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
So I too was concerned. Today I never saw above 110 deg. I still think that the IAT Solenoid is a good safe guard. Thinking summertime is the test. Once everything is hot fans are running to cool
Scott

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Screenshot

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
Scott you need the fans to run to keep the after cooled air cool. I put a 190 degree thermostat so the engine runs at 190 and I might
do what you did and get a 210 wax valve.
My neighbor with a...

Reply #16
What was ambient temperature when the screen shot above showed 97 degrees F?

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
About 70.

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Would of stopped and increased fan speed if it was higher. Will watch and collect more information as I go forward. Having a way to view fan speed would be nice while driving
Scott

Reply #19
Would of stopped and increased fan speed if it was higher. Will watch and collect more information as I go forward. Having a way to view fan speed would be nice while driving
Scott
Is there a photo...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
I'm sure there is. I'll be looking into something
Scott

Reply #21
What was ambient temperature when the screen shot above showed 97 degrees F?

With 70 degree ambient temperature and driving 75 MPH and only seeing 97 degree intake temperature (assuming that is...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
IAT solenoid would be probably in the 20-30% fans speed speculating And 100% for retarder. Currently background speed is just tuning the fans like 1%. I'm curious how much airflow is being caused by drawing air thru caused by low pressure area...

Reply #23
It is very unlikely there will be a condition where the fans will not be spinning when you actually need the charge air cooler to cool incoming air.

Specifically: when the turbo is making boost and the charge air needs to be cooled, the engine...

Reply #24
. I'm curious how much airflow is being caused by drawing air thru caused by low pressure area behind coach. Any way to get any airflow thru is beneficial. I know of no way to tell? Maybe a...