Skip to main content
Topic: 50A outlet in the generator compartment? (Read 2246 times) previous topic - next topic

50A outlet in the generator compartment?

Our new-to-us '98 U295 has what appears to be a 50A power outlet inside the generator compartment. Did this come standard on these units, or do you think a previous owner installed it? What might the purpose be?
1998 U295 36' No slides
Towing 2018 Jeep Wrangler
Previous rigs:
  1995 26' Fleetwood Flair
  1998 34' Fleetwood Bounder
  1997 40' Bluebird BMC
  1999 24' Winnebago Minnie Class C

Re: 50A outlet in the generator compartment?

Reply #1
PO installed not original. Can be used to power a house in an emergency if wired at the house correctly.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
Definitely not OEM.  Suspect that's what's called a "buddy plug" - where you can provide generator power to another rig if you're both dry camping (or possibly to a house, depending on how it's wired (edited this thanks to Mike's reminder below) and if the house electrical panel is  properly equipped with a transfer switch)

Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #3
Dan,

On that age generator it should be wired for 120 OEM. With this buddy plug they could have changed the generator tap to be for 240.  You need to check between the 2 hot legs to see if you have 240 or nothing with the generator running. If nothing then check between 1 leg and neutral and see if you have 120.  This is just a FYI before you put it to use.

Looking at the pics. it appears that you have a rear isolator mount on the control box that need replacing. If you do one do all 4. If these get bad enough it will shake the insides apart sometime down the road. This isn't a today have to job but soon. 

One other observation is you will need to think about updating the insulation around the generator. Yours looks like it is starting to shed and this plastic gunk can get sucked into the generator end of your unit causing all kinds of grief. Lot of us with coaches this age has done this upgrade also.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #4
Our new-to-us '98 U295 has what appears to be a 50A power outlet inside the generator compartment.
Kool - I want one.  :thumbsup:

Anybody know what is involved in adding a outlet to a stock 10Kw generator?

This latest Texas cold snap has me seriously considering different ways to provide emergency backup power to our house.  Since we already have a 10Kw diesel generator sitting in our driveway, that seems like the cheapest way to go.  Yes, I know about the safety requirement for a fool-proof transfer switch.  Soon as it warms up again, I'm getting some bids on the total cost to hook the coach genny to our house.  The OP's 50A power outlet looks like a great place to start.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #5
I've been thinking the same for months. Definitely on the list. Also I had never even thought about being able to let someone else power up lights keeping in mind staying within acceptable limits. And being able to plug in my house gas pack heaters is a real plus. Two legs of 115v ac would be a nice backup.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #6

Chuck,

About $50 to $75 in parts and a couple of hrs. work on a Unicoach. You remove the scatter shield underneath and roll the generator out so you can get to the junction box. This gives you plenty of working room. Now on your Grandvilla with the side generator you will need to access the junction box where the generator is tied into the coach wiring. Never did a GV though so how hard to get to the junction box this is an unknown.

If you want to run it through your breaker panel rather than just through the generator breakers then it takes a little longer and you will need several more feet of wire and conduit. Some people may require a few roasted hops soda pops after completion.

Mike

Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #7
Check the air filter too,hope it's been changed since 9/10.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #9
I have an identical 50amp outlet on my rig.
I wonder if that 50 amp outlet was ever offered as a standard feature, or a option, by the factory on new coaches?

Reply #10
it appears that you have a rear isolator mount on the control box that need replacing
Mike, where exactly are the rear isolator mounts in these pics? I assume the control box is in the top left with the breakers & switches, but I don't see what you're referring to.
1998 U295 36' No slides
Previous rigs:
  1995 26' Fleetwood Flair
  1997 40' Bluebird BMC

Reply #11
Mike, where exactly are the rear isolator mounts in these pics?
Arrows point to "front" mounts.  I would assume there are also two mounts in the "rear".

Reply #12
Chuck is correct as there are 4 matching ones, 2 in front and 2 in the back.  Look closely at the one on the passengers side of the generator. See how it looks like it is stretched out not in compression.  This usually will happen when the opposite corner has failed causing a teeter tot effect. The isolators are available on eBay and Amazon for a couple of bucks a piece.

Mike
edit: Here is the first ones that I can find shop around for the best price. This will give you the size you are looking for. 4 Rubber Vibration Isolator Mounts 5/16-18 (1" DIAMETER x 3/4" THICK) BRAND...
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #13
Kool - I want one.  :thumbsup:

This latest Texas cold snap has me seriously considering different ways to provide emergency backup power to our house.  Since we already have a 10Kw diesel generator sitting in our driveway, that seems like the cheapest way to go.  Yes, I know about the safety requirement for a fool-proof transfer switch.  Soon as it warms up again, I'm getting some bids on the total cost to hook the coach genny to our house.  The OP's 50A power outlet looks like a great place to start.
I just went through this query recently, Chuck, even though I was warned that I would be opening up a "can of worms".  You can check out the posts with all kinds of responses.  From what I was able to conclude, the ATS in our coach would prevent a current from "backflowing" from generator to the 50A cord.  For me to do it, I would have to install a separate HD wiring from a junction box (with manual switch) at the bed pedestal redirecting the current from ( generator to  a new outlet in the utility bay.  This switch would be between the generator and ATS.  The 50A cord would then be moved from the original inlet to the new outlet which would bring current to the subpanel (in my case since I have an RV garage) which leads to the main house panel.  The main house panel should then have a lockout on the main switch to avoid inadvertently powering the grid.  For me, that would require a checklist:  1- Turn  on inverter switch at bed  (power away from ATS and to outlet), 2- move 50A cord, 3- lock out main switch and 4- turn on generator.  A separate list would have to be made in taking it out of service.

Of course, you would have to have the wiring to the main panel to handle the load.  If you are like many, there is a 30A or 50A outlet to plug in your coach to keep it charged.

I would be interested in hearing if there is a problem with regard to mechanics or safety in this.  A 50A outlet at the generator might be much simpler.
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #14
The main house panel should then have a lockout on the main switch to avoid inadvertently powering the grid.  For me, that would require a checklist:  1- Turn  on inverter switch at bed  (power away from ATS and to outlet), 2- move 50A cord, 3- lock out main switch and 4- turn on generator.  A separate list would have to be made in taking it out of service.

Of course, you would have to have the wiring to the main panel to handle the load.  If you are like many, there is a 30A or 50A outlet to plug in your coach to keep it charged.

I would be interested in hearing if there is a problem with regard to mechanics or safety in this.  A 50A outlet at the generator might be much simpler.

Regarding safety, there are devices that force a lock out of the house main in order to plug the generator output into the house service.  You absolutely want to make sure there is no way any power can go from the generator down the service line when the generator is running.  You do not want to and should not rely on a checklist, as that's not going to help the lineman when he fixes the connection that caused the outage in the first place and you zap him.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Reply #15
Regarding safety, there are devices that force a lock out of the house main in order to plug the generator output into the house service.  You absolutely want to make sure there is no way any power can go from the generator down the service line when the generator is running.  You do not want to and should not rely on a checklist, as that's not going to help the lineman when he fixes the connection that caused the outage in the first place and you zap him.
Agree, a mechanical interlock , transfer switch, or other device similar device should be used to prevent energizing the incoming service lines via a connected generator.  They are likely required to be compliant with code, but even if not required, they are a prudent safety device.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #16
I installed a manual interlock on the main power panel coming into my property.  In my case my genset is much smaller. "Not the motor home one"  The interlock is a metal plate that bolts to the inner cover of the panel.  You can slide it up or down.  Normally it is slid down and the main ckt breaker can be turned on.  Turn off the main and you can slide it the other way and it will unblock the upper breaker on the left.  In my case it is a 20 amp breaker. Then I can turn on the 20 amp breaker which blocks the plate from sliding so the Main breaker cannot be turned on.  One breaker or the other can be engaged but never both.

Very inexpensive and effective. Keeps the power line from feeding the generator and the generator from feeding the power line.

In past hurricanes I wired the gen-set cord into a breaker in the panel first turning the main breaker off and then padlocking the cover closed.  I would manual turn off all the breakers except for the ones I intended to use to  keep from overloading the gen-set.  Only enabled lighting and the fridge and chest freezer.  AC Elevator etc were not enabled.  Took a check list to get it all right.

I successfully used it through three Hurricanes. Power line crews inspected it and allowed me to use it.

The crews were shorting the power line before they made repairs so the risk was minimal.
2006 Nimbus 336
Built 2005 may be one of the first coaches labeled Nimbus.
DEMCO Air-force One braking system.
Towing 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport.
Road Master Falcon 5250 tow bar.

Reply #17
Updates from the OP:
One: With a multimeter and the genny running I see that I have 240v between the two hot legs, and 120 between each individual leg and neutral. What does this mean relative to how I might use this outlet in the future? I'm not at a campground where I can compare it to what I see on a post outlet.

Two: I slid the unit out and looked at the rubber isolator mounts. They actually all look good - same height and all.

Three: What's the best way to deal with the peeling plastic along the edges of the foam insulation? The pieces that are loose around the air intake are actually pretty tough - I couldn't rip them off with my hands, I'd have to cut it with scissors.

Four: The air filter with what appears to be a date of 09/10 on the housing - I pulled it out and it appears to the eye anyway to be in good shape. I blew it with the leaf blower also and got no dust. This probably means nothing though, huh? Why does it have fins on it though? It doesn't look or feel like it spins in there?

Five: The puddle of rainwater I found on the floor below the generator turns out not to be water but rather diesel fuel. The 12" line running down from the fuel filter is definitely the culprit and will be replaced today.

1998 U295 36' No slides
Previous rigs:
  1995 26' Fleetwood Flair
  1997 40' Bluebird BMC

Reply #18
Updates from the OP:
Four: The air filter with what appears to be a date of 09/10 on the housing - I pulled it out and it appears to the eye anyway to be in good shape. I blew it with the leaf blower also and got no dust. This probably means nothing though, huh? Why does it have fins on it though? It doesn't look or feel like it spins in there?

My answer:  Once the air cleaner is disturbed, if it were mine, I'd replace.  If the filter is fabric with fins, they may just be an accordion type pleated filter to give more surface area for filtration.
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #19
One: With a multimeter and the genny running I see that I have 240v between the two hot legs, and 120 between each individual leg and neutral. What does this mean relative to how I might use this outlet in the future? I'm not at a campground where I can compare it to what I see on a post outlet.
Dan,

What you are reading is the same as what you would get at a campground 50 amp outlet.  Your coach is a campground outlet on wheels!  ^.^d

Reply #20
Dan,

What you are reading is the same as what you would get at a campground 50 amp outlet.  Your coach is a campground outlet on wheels!  ^.^d

Correct. Same as CG.  Same as a sticks and bricks house. 

With, repeat with the proper change over equipment that disconnects one source before connecting the other with no possibility of "backfeeding" the grid, this will work to power limited electrical equipment in a house.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #21
Five: The puddle of rainwater I found on the floor below the generator turns out not to be water but rather diesel fuel. The 12" line running down from the fuel filter is definitely the culprit and will be replaced today.
You could also replace the fuel filter while you're at it.

Reply #22

A concern with an older filter is that the adhesive holding it together ages out.  You don't want to risk "dusting" the engine if the filter starts to break apart.  3-ish years is the general guideline.  10 years is a tad long...

Reply #23
The fins on the end of the filter are for improving the air flow. They create a "twirl" or cyclone effect of air around the filter.
So..... no, the filter doesn't spin.
Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins
Allison MD3060R 6 speed - retarder
Powertech 10KW  4cyl Kubota

Reply #24
I too have the same plug in front of my generator. I haven't checked it out as far as whether it works or not but when I had to stick some bricks I thought that I could plug it in in case of a power failure to the house via my 50 amp connection I had put in the house to power the coach. But yeah you would have to have a way of isolating the house off the grid. Otherwise it could be quite shocking for someone. It would have helped a lot of people during this problem in Texas with power failures or anywhere for that matter as long as you could start your generator and had the fuel to run it. I think my generator uses a half a gallon per hour so a full tank of fuel you could conceivably power it for 15 days. And that would certainly be enough to get you through almost any power outage.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired