Skip to main content

Topic: 50A outlet in the generator compartment? (Read 856 times) previous topic - next topic

50A outlet in the generator compartment?
Our new-to-us '98 U295 has what appears to be a 50A power outlet inside the generator compartment. Did this come standard on these units, or do you think a previous owner installed it? What might the purpose be?

Re: 50A outlet in the generator compartment?
Reply #1
PO installed not original. Can be used to power a house in an emergency if wired at the house correctly.

Reply #2
Definitely not OEM.  Suspect that's what's called a "buddy plug" - where you can provide generator power to another rig if you're both dry camping (or possibly to a house, depending on how it's wired (edited this thanks to Mike's reminder below)...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #3
Dan,

On that age generator it should be wired for 120 OEM. With this buddy plug they could have changed the generator tap to be for 240.  You need to check between the 2 hot legs to see if you have 240 or nothing with the generator running. If...

Reply #4
Our new-to-us '98 U295 has what appears to be a 50A power outlet inside the generator compartment.
Kool - I want one.  :thumbsup:

Anybody know what is involved in adding a outlet to a stock 10Kw...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5

I've been thinking the same for months. Definitely on the list. Also I had never even thought about being able to let someone else power up lights keeping in mind...

Reply #6
Anybody know what is involved in adding a outlet to a stock 10Kw generator?

Chuck,

About $50 to $75 in parts and a couple of hrs. work on a Unicoach. You remove the scatter shield...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Check the air filter too,hope it's been changed since 9/10.

Reply #8
I have an identical 50amp outlet on my rig.

Reply #9
I have an identical 50amp outlet on my rig.
I wonder if that 50 amp outlet was ever offered as a standard feature, or a option, by the factory on new coaches?

Reply #10
it appears that you have a rear isolator mount on the control box that need replacing
Mike, where exactly are the rear isolator mounts in these pics? I assume the control box is in the...

Reply #11
Mike, where exactly are the rear isolator mounts in these pics?
Arrows point to "front" mounts.  I would assume there are also two mounts in the "rear".

Reply #12
Chuck is correct as there are 4 matching ones, 2 in front and 2 in the back.  Look closely at the one on the passengers side of the generator. See how it looks like it is stretched out not in compression.  This usually will happen when the...

Reply #13

Anybody know what is involved in adding a outlet to a stock 10Kw generator?

This latest Texas cold snap has me seriously considering different ways to provide...

Reply #14
The main house panel should then have a lockout on the main switch to avoid inadvertently powering the grid.  For me, that would require a checklist:  1- Turn  on inverter switch at...

Reply #15
Regarding safety, there are devices that force a lock out of the house main in order to plug the generator output into the house service.  You absolutely want to make sure there is no way any...

Reply #16
I installed a manual interlock on the main power panel coming into my property.   In my case my genset is much smaller. "Not the motor home one"  The interlock is a metal plate that bolts to the inner cover of the panel.  You can slide it up or...

Reply #17
Updates from the OP:
One: With a multimeter and the genny running I see that I have 240v between the two hot legs, and 120 between each individual leg and neutral. What does this mean relative to how I might use this outlet in the future? I'm not...

Reply #18
Updates from the OP:
Four: The air filter with what appears to be a date of 09/10 on the housing - I pulled it out and it appears to the eye anyway to be in good shape. I blew it with the...

Reply #19
One: With a multimeter and the genny running I see that I have 240v between the two hot legs, and 120 between each individual leg and neutral. What does this mean relative to how I might...

Reply #20
Dan,

What you are reading is the same as what you would get at a campground 50 amp outlet.  Your coach is a campground outlet on wheels!   ^.^d

Correct. Same as CG.  Same as a sticks and...

Reply #21
Five: The puddle of rainwater I found on the floor below the generator turns out not to be water but rather diesel fuel. The 12" line running down from the fuel filter is definitely the...

Reply #22
Four: The air filter with what appears to be a date of 09/10 on the housing - I pulled it out and it appears to the eye anyway to be in good shape. I blew it with the leaf blower also and...

Reply #23
The fins on the end of the filter are for improving the air flow. They create a "twirl" or cyclone effect of air around the filter.
So..... no, the filter doesn't spin.

Reply #24
I too have the same plug in front of my generator. I haven't checked it out as far as whether it works or not but when I had to stick some bricks I thought that I could plug it in in case of a power failure to the house via my 50 amp connection I...