Skip to main content

Topic: Engine door nylon rollers (Read 603 times) previous topic - next topic

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Engine door nylon rollers
Decided a while back to replace the 2 lower guide rollers that locate the side plates on door. The old ones were quite worn and I had rotated them a few times to catch the arms and there was still a bit of play on them and door rattles some.
My...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Engine door nylon rollers
Reply #1
On our coach the generator door uses the same rollers as the engine hatch.  You can swap them out for a short term fix.  Generator door is much lighter and gets used less often.  Replacements at FOT were expensive.  Hard rubber sort of things.

Reply #2
For a really short term fix, you can rotate them a little bit and wrap them with electrical tape.... It's a cheap fix too.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
I did a few rotations like I mentioned.
I decided to leave the gen door ones alone as wanted them all good. The material I priced at $20 cndn for a meter but only 2"in stock here so would have had to get them turned down but Geoff had stock at...

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
John, is that nylon or Teflon material?

Reply #5
Just curious if y'all think acrylic would work. I have a source I could get some round stock and turn it down to size. It's the stuff they make duck calls and other game calls out of.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Rick. UHMW it is a type of vinyl /nylon /Acetal but good for rollers etc as it stands up to wear better.
Johnh

Reply #7
Could it be a urethane material?

Reply #8
Rick. UHMW it is a type of vinyl /nylon /Acetal but good for rollers etc as it stands up to wear better.
Johnh

John,

Could be the beginning of a new cottage industry-- kind of like 6 pack...

Reply #9
Slippery UHMW Polyethylene Rod, 1-3/4" Diameter | McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr

Reply #10
When I looked at the photo in the initial post, the word Delrin popped into my head.  Popular material for "performance" suspension bushings.

Delrin® Plastic | Acetal Plastic

How to Make Your Own Delrin and Urethane Bushings | Articles | Grassroots...

Reply #11
Now I have an excuse to clean the dust off the lathe. Haven't had any use for it since retiring.

Reply #12
If you don't have a lathe, or a brother with a lathe, there are online sellers who will make custom Delrin "bushings" to order.  For instance:

CUSTOM DELRIN/ACETAL Plastic bushings, made to YOUR SIZE, QUANTITY, and...

Reply #13
Slippery UHMW Polyethylene Rod, 1-3/4" Diameter | McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr
I ordered this exact part number yesterday after seeing John's post. My engine door bushings are quite worn. I...

Reply #14
Ordered at 4pm yesterday from McMaster-Carr. Arrived at 10am today. Can't complain about that. This was nowhere near the top of my list of things to do but looks like a quick little project.

• MAZ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
Ordered at 4pm yesterday from McMaster-Carr. Arrived at 10am today. Can't complain about that. This was nowhere near the top of my list of things to do but looks like a quick little project.
Bruce...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Those pieces look good. Use the chop saw at 1 7/8" long then drill a 1/2" hole on centre. The outside dia may be a bit oversize so check that it will fit into the bracket on back of door as you may have to reduce it a bit. Those stock plastics...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
If you don't have a lathe, or a brother with a lathe, there are online sellers who will make custom Delrin "bushings" to order.  For instance:

CUSTOM DELRIN/ACETAL Plastic bushings,...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Dsd, that is a nice neighbourly thing to do. I also would do it but the mail from and too Canada is so slow right now that a person would be waiting for  months to get them
I cannot cross the border till it opens so cannot access my mail box in...

Reply #19
Thanks for the offer Scott. I'll chuck them up on my wood lathe to drill and touch up any diameter adjustment. It should be sufficient for the precision necessary on these pieces. Hopefully I'll get time this evening to try it out.

My shop and...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Thanks for the offer Scott. I'll chuck them up on my wood lathe to drill and touch up any diameter adjustment. It should be sufficient for the precision necessary on these pieces. Hopefully I'll...

Reply #21
The material from Mcmaster-Carr worked out well. One stick made 6 bushings and it turns out that my generator door setup does not use a similar setup. I'll hold on to my 2nd full stick of material for another project but I have 2 extra sets. If...

Reply #22
How much did FT Parts quote that was so high that it was worth going to all this work?  When I replaced mine I bought a spare, which I wouldn't have done if they were horribly expensive.

Reply #23
If you need a set and don't have the means to make them yourself, send me PM and I'll mail a set to the first 2 requesters.
The 2 sets are spoken for.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
Really glad this little project had so many tweets.
Johnh