Skip to main content

Topic: Samsung residential refrigerator 21.8 instead of 17.5 (Read 1972 times) previous topic - next topic

Samsung residential refrigerator 21.8 instead of 17.5
Has anyone installed one of these instead of the smaller 17.5 counter depth models.   Shop Samsung 221 21.8-cu ft French Door Refrigerator with Ice Maker (Stainles...

This is the 17.5 Shop Samsung 17.5-cu ft Counter-Depth French Door Refrigerator...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Samsung residential refrigerator 21.8 instead of 17.5
Reply #1
Jack,

MOT installed the 17.5 version, which MOT recommended. We looked at the 21.5, but it looked too big in the showroom. They did bring it through the dining room window. After seeing how big the 17.5 is after installation, I do not think the...

Reply #2
Jack,

The larger fridge depth (with doors removed) is 30", compared to 24" on the smaller model.  Even if you do have enough aisle space to utilize the deeper model, I think it would be a real hassle to get it into the coach.  Our RF197 Samsung (a...

Reply #3
The standard depth model at 34", without the handles, is about 6" deeper than the counter depth.  I don't recall if there was that much clearance through the window or not but it would be easy enough to measure.  I'd be more concerned about the...

Reply #4
This was in the coach when I bought it. 22.6 Seems to fit fine to us. The door lock I made out of one of the DW's cutting boards.

Reply #5
That Frigidaire is also counter depth.  It looks like it gets the extra space by being 3 1/2 wider, which wouldn't have fit in the existing hole on my coach.  Looks like a better option if you have the space for it without major cabinet...

Reply #6
Have these little Samsungs been better than the full size?  I dont get a lot of positive hits for the House fridges.

Reply #7
That Frigidaire wouldn't have fit in the existing hole on my coach.
Ditto - not enough space in our coach either.  But it is a very interesting option.  In Craneman's coach they even managed to...

Reply #8
We used the RF197, about 19 cu ft.  Without the doors it will go through the side window, I doubt a non-counter depth one will. 

The RF197 is 32" wide and in a 36" space it gives you some options for additional storage.  Very handy space.  There...

Reply #9
Have these little Samsungs been better than the full size?
Better is a relative term.  Ours has been on 24/7 for the 4+ years since it was installed.  Absolutely zero problems.  When we...

Reply #10
The door latches don't get any easier than ours.

Reply #11
"The door latches don't get any easier than ours.".  No they don't but you have to put it somewhere when it is not in use and some of this type of door holders have scratched up the doors.  DWMYH.  Whatever works for you is OK.

Reply #12
"The door latches don't get any easier than ours.".  No they don't but you have to put it somewhere when it is not in use and some of this type of door holders have scratched...

Reply #13
It is not a competition, if it works for you, fine. Each of us gets to choose our own way.  Options are good.

Reply #14
We use a velcro strap around the handles, and wrap that around the steering wheel while parked.  We've had the doors come open while driving too many times.  Whatever you choose to use, a reminder to use it is a good idea.

Reply #15
Agree, no matter how convenient it is if you don't use it you're in trouble.

Reply #16
I am finding the depth of the two refrigerators with the door removed to be 24.31 for the 17.5 cu ft. Samsung 3 door, and 30.47 inches for the 21.8.  I do not know the size of the cutout for the side window to put it thru.  Does anyone out there...

• Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:43:34 pm by Jack Lewis

Reply #17
Jack, measure the inside of the window frametop to bottom. The actual hole will be about a 1/4" bigger.  The 19.7 cu ft Samsung went through the hole with some room to spare.  The LP refrigerator went out OK as well but it weighs almost twice...

Reply #18
Here's a pic of ours going in at FT from two summers ago. Looked tight.

Reply #19
Honestly ... even if it does fit, I cannot believe that the small increase in capacity will be of that much benefit. Think about it!  Interior dry storage is MUCH more useful to you than a bit of extra in the fridge. A bit of broom storage,...

Reply #20
Orig                                           Dometic 7832                    17.5 Samsung french 3 door                     221 21.8 Samsung french 3 door
  Width                                          32 11/16                               ...

Reply #21
My RF197 uses just under 70 watt average to run.

The 17.5 cu ft RF18HFENBSR/US looks like it uses about the same energy.  You can use it without the ice maker, there is  setting on the control panel to shut it off.

We bought the extended warranty,...

Reply #22
Speaking of ice maker:

That is the only problem that I have had with my Samsung 17.5. Normally, it works fine, and makes a lot of good quality ice. Every once in a while, it does not start making ice again after I empty the tray (I like the...

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Trent, I've run across the same issue with not making ice after removing the tray also( at least 4 times). So far, all I've had to do is push the reset button and then it works. We shut it off after we get home from any trip and don't turn it on...

Reply #24
rbark,

How do you turn it off?

Thanks,

Trent