Skip to main content

Topic: Lots of White Smoke (Read 1968 times) previous topic - next topic

Beerslayer_24 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Re: Lots of White Smoke
Reply #50
Quote"Had to tap every bolt hole in the head because the bolts did not want to go in.  There's no way I could have gotten an accurate torque reading with the how difficult the bolts wanted to go in".

I hope you were aware of what type of threads...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #51

I hope you were aware of what type of threads you had metric or sae. Someone had used sae threaded bolts on my exhaust manifold that required metric threaded bolts.
Roland

Ouch.  Also best to...

Reply #52

Ouch.  Also best to use the specific bolts from Cummins I am told.  Properly  heat treated, right stretch etc.  Yep, they metric.
Some monkey used bolts from Ace hardware on our Cummins. Yes...

• Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:14:32 am by Roland Begin

Reply #53
Quote"Had to tap every bolt hole in the head because the bolts did not want to go in.  There's no way I could have gotten an accurate torque reading with the how difficult the bolts wanted to...

Reply #54
Never could find TDC with the timing pin.  Pulled the valve cover and found TDC on compression stroke by dropping a valve on cylinder no. 1 and rotating the engine until the cylinder bumped it.  Used a dial indicator to measure .004 of deflection...

Reply #55
Question for my own enlightenment:

Why is finding TDC on this engine so complicated?  Why can't they just put timing marks on the harmonic balancer like they do on all the gasoline engines?  There may be a simple answer to this, but I have no...

Reply #56
Question for my own enlightenment:

Why is finding TDC on this engine so complicated?  Why can't they just put timing marks on the harmonic balancer like they do on all the gasoline...

Reply #57
I don't know for sure, This is the first time I've had to find the timing on any type of engine.  The timing pin would make it pretty simple.  It seems that there is some difference of...

Reply #58
Find my engine serial number.
Location of data plate (with ESN) on my C8.3 - if you have the B5.9 it may be in the same place:

Standing at the back, looking at engine.  See the air...

Reply #59
Injection pump timing was spot on with engine TDC.  I don't know what else to do.  I found a mechanic to come and loom at it today.  I feel like a failure :(

Reply #60
Location of data plate (with ESN) on my C8.3 - if you have the B5.9 it may be in the same place:

Standing at the back, looking at engine.  See the air conditioning compressor - directly...

Reply #61
I also know that I have a rear mounted radiator and charge air cooler.
Ah...(to slightly misquote The Bard)...Therein lies the rub.

Reply #62
Injection pump timing was spot on with engine TDC.  I don't know what else to do.  I found a mechanic to come and look at it today.  I feel like a failure :(
Trying to solve this problem,...

Reply #63
Most modern  drives are not prone to jumping timing .   They may sag a few degrees due to system wear.
 Did you ever do the balance test?  Did you pull the injectors and look for pintle/valve failure.?

Reply #64
When the solution to a particularly thorny problem eludes you, asking for help is not weakness - it is a sign of intelligence.
I'm disappointed in myself all the same.

Reply #65
I'm disappointed in myself all the same.
Don't be; we all have the tendency to 'go to the dark side' and miss what is obvious to some kind soul who is a thousand miles away! That's what...

Reply #66
Most modern  drives are not prone to jumping timing .  They may sag a few degrees due to system wear.
 Did you ever do the balance test?  Did you pull the injectors and look for...

Reply #67
Looks like you have the old mechanical style pump/injector system . Simply fire it up, set the idle up a little  to maybe 1000RPM.  and loosen each injector, measure the RPM drop .  Let each hole skip for 30 seconds  and see which hole/skip...

Reply #68
Looks like you have the old mechanical style pump/injector system . Simply fire it up, set the idle up a little  to maybe 1000RPM.  and loosen each injector, measure the RPM drop .  Let...

Reply #69
I did not do a balance test.  I was really focused on the timing and became too overwhelmed to confidently attempt anything else.  My abilities are not what I had hoped they would be.

Reply #70
When I pulled the exhaust manifold, five of the six exhaust ports on the head  had a sticky oily residue on the inside.  Could all of the injectors have went bad at the same time?
That...

Reply #71
That sticky black oil makes me suspect the exhaust valve guides are allowing oil to get by.  That's the next simplest problem.  Does the engine start easily?
The engine starts and idles good....

Reply #72
The mechanic just left and what a super nice guy! We tested the fuel pressure and it was good.   Had to remove some intercooler piping and the two air conditioner compressors on the engine to get to the injectors.  Pulled all the injectors (one...

Reply #73
If this happened all of a sudden the turbo should be suspect. White smoke, blue smoke sometimes hard to tell apart.

Reply #74
If this happened all of a sudden the turbo should be suspect. White smoke, blue smoke smoke sometimes hard to tell apart.
What we have not solved (and I agree with the dreaded 'blue smoke'), is...