Skip to main content

Topic: Bit by the Sheppard M100 bug  (Read 2451 times) previous topic - next topic

Bit by the Sheppard M100 bug
It isn't like I have forgotten to be grateful for not having issues with the power steering box... but I guess it is my turn. I last checked the hydraulic reservoir level in Leduc ( about 300 miles ago, near Edmonton) and it was as usual, near...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Bit by the Sheppard M100 bug
Reply #1
Don, I've had real good luck with Lucas Hydraulic oil booster and stop leak. 

Reply #2
Don, don't blame yourself, stuff happens.  Sounds like you are on the right track.

Reply #3
If you have not replaced it since new , you are way overdue by calculations the 2003's should be all springing a leak now with the 2004's coming up soon. In the research I did, it has nothing to do with mileage, only age.

My coach in 350 miles...

Reply #4
Does Redhead rebuild hydraulic fan motors?  Off topic I know, but sort of related.

George

Reply #5
Does Redhead rebuild hydraulic fan motors?  Off topic I know, but sort of related.

George

No.

Reply #6
No comments on the pictures? This is before wiping the oily film off. It is hard to judge how much the canvas bags are holding in suspension, but it took about ¾ of quart to come up to the full cold mark. It is hard to judge, because some road...

Reply #7
Don,  maybe it's my poor eyesight but in the pictures the steering box looks pretty clean.  I'm guessing that when you checked the fluid level and it read cold, the system was warmed up?   Maybe a fitting?  Your box has probably timed...

Reply #8
I found the source of the leak! Dead center on the street side of the box from what I assume must be a cover over the shaft and seal.
Foretravel Sheppard M100 leak - YouTube
About a drop every three or four seconds at 800 RPM fast idle. This must...

Reply #9
You might want to grab one on your way south to save freight one way. Call Dan at Redhead for availability.

Tim Fiedler
Gen-Pro.biz
630 240-9139

Reply #10
That's what I am hoping Tim! Thanks to you, it may work out. A lot depends on what I see on the next leg of our trip which will bring us to John Haygarth's place. Then taking the ferry to Vancouver Island for a few weeks. Not a whole lot of...

Reply #11
 This will sound a little unbelievable but I had the same  exact leak two weeks ago I was able to pull the six bolts out and when I removed the end plate the hydraulic seal had a little plastic ring that holds the seal that was disintegrated  had...

Reply #12
 It's very doable and you don't even need to pull the endcap more than maybe an inch or half inch away leaving the cage  Bearing still engage with the shaft itself  The new seal kit that I ordered shows the replacement seal has two instead of one...

Reply #13
 If you need to know anything more about this particular job call me at 281-744-7699 I'm only going to be in phone range for another two hours

• kenhat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
If you do decide to do the RedHead rebuild they promise a 24 hour turn around of your unit if you deliver it to them. That promise stretched to 48 hours for my rebuild but I had told them I didn't need it that soon. We stayed at a campground in...

Reply #15
Don,
The Part Number for the seal kit is 5545221 from RedHead.  It will be an entire seal kit for about $120.  They don't sell just that seal.  I just replaced the exact seal your talking about last week. 
You remove the 18mm bolts, and then...

Reply #16
Thanks Mark
I really don't want to spend that much for a seal kit since I want to get a RedHead rebuilt unit and that unit would have all new seals as well as the blueprinting. I went on eBay and found a seller that sells seals (steering_seal_kits...

Reply #17
Don,
Great find !!! Wish I would have spent a little more time searching. Well, I guess at least I have all the seals if I ever need them.  However, my plan is to get the full Redhead unit in the near future just to be safe.
Hopefully, yours will...

Reply #18
Mine started leaking on the easily accessible side so I decided to pull the end cap and take a look. Like John posted earlier, I found pieces of blue stuff had gotten under the seal lip which caused the leak. Further investigation showed the blue...

Reply #19
Ed,
When you write that you pulled the end cap off, you referring to to the cover held on by 8 bolts rather than the plastic cap with a weep hole from which the leak issues? I want to try to make it about another 300 miles to get to a place I can...

Reply #20
Don't ever try to plug the weep hole on a steering box, it relieves pressure from internal seals that have failed. The steering could lock up if the pressure isn't relieved. Learned this one on one of my cranes.

Reply #21
Plugging it wouldn't occur to me, but it would be interesting to find out what can be seen under the plastic cap. I am hoping to know if that blue stuff can be cleaned from there or if the bolted on cover needs to come off before I experiment. I...

Reply #22
I had to remove the bolts from the steel end cap and remove it with a puller centered on the main shaft (it has a name which I have forgotten). The plastic cap is just a dust cover. Mine was just held in place with silicon and came off easily. I...

Reply #23
Don, Just noticed I didn't clearly answer your question about the box. If you mean the steering gear box, I worked on it in place. I was by myself and don't think I could have removed it easily because of the weight. Much easier now that I know...

Reply #24
Don,
In your pictures, your box looks identical to mine.  That side cover on mine was magnetic, I just pulled it right off, wiped up the area behind it and it stuck right back on, no prying or silicone needed.

Mark