Skip to main content

Topic: Need Batteries (Read 807 times) previous topic - next topic

Need Batteries
So my new to me coach needs batteries. They were installed in 2011. So I need suggestions. Barry had 4 8d batteries in the coach. If I went with 4 8d AGM batteries, it would cost $2800. If I went with 3 Battle Born's, it would be around the same...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Need Batteries
Reply #1
Hi ?,

I just installed 6 Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries and the initial instructions were to set the inverter/charger to lead acid. That wasn't set in stone because the owner said you could also set it to AGM also. Just as long as you don 't go...

Reply #2
My name is at the end of the question and my coach info is in my signature.

Mike

Reply #3
Mike, if you do not want to use LiFePo4 batteries yet consider 6 Full River DC335 6 volt batteries.
DC335-6 | Fullriver Battery
Six will fit on the floor where 2 8Ds now sit.
You will have 1005 amp hr capacity.
You will get rid of extra racks and...

Reply #4
Mike, my personal opinion is go with lithiums. They will last a lot longer, provide more amps for less money over time, at less weight, and with less space.
The initial cost is higher which is why you should save your money and go with lithiums.
I...

Reply #5
I was talking to Justin yesterday at Bay Marine and the Victron's can't be drawn down to their capacity as the Battle Born's can. I don't remember the percentage as that was not the reason for my phone call. My 150/85 has gone down. As far as...

Reply #6
Lithium's is my choice, but the inverter/charger won't charge it correctly until I get a newer one. I emailed Battle Born and asked the question. I think it will work until I get a new one. I won't be boondocking anytime soon. I'll be hooked up...

Reply #7
I'm using a prosine inverter to charge my BB 300 amps. BB said it would work and it does. But I let the solar do most of the charging.

Reply #8
I'm using a prosine inverter to charge my BB 300 amps. BB said it would work and it does. But I let the solar do most of the charging.
So you just have it set for Gel in the settings?...

Reply #9
I was talking to Justin yesterday at Bay Marine and the Victron's can't be drawn down to their capacity as the Battle Born's can. I don't remember the percentage as that was not the reason...

Reply #10
Given the cost of batteries (and the potential to significantly shorten their life if they aren't charged properly), I would strongly recommend biting the bullet and upgrading the inverter before or at the same time as battery replacement.

The...

Reply #11
Lithium's will take a partial charge or a lower rate of charge without damage or loss of capacity.  So will the oem mk gels.

Other batteries can be damaged from slow or incomplete charging.  Lifeline is the only non gel or lithium battery that can...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Craneman, I'm not sure I would want to draw any battery down to 100%. With Lithiums, you generally expect to go around 80% of total amp hour rating and that should get you several...

Reply #13
If you don't want to get a new inverter now (makes sense if you are upgrading batteries) you can get a smart charger.
Sterling ProCharge Ultra 50 Amp Boat Battery Charger
These charge multiple battery banks, using many different charge profiles,...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Craneman, I'm not sure I would want to draw any battery down to 100%. With Lithiums, you generally expect to go around 80% of total amp hour rating and that should get you several...

Reply #15
Mike, I actually have it set for flooded lead batteries and for warm setting.  This gives me a max voltage of 14.4 and float of 13.5
You'd need to verify these settings yourself.
I seldom leave the charger running on float, usually get it to 80 or...

Reply #16
Lithium's will take a partial charge or a lower rate of charge without damage or loss of capacity.  So will the oem mk gels.
If you can without fail recharge any drawn down batteries to...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
I had the Prosine when I first bought my Battleborns. [Got the Victron Multiplus as soon as I could afford it]  Couldn't really set it up properly for lithium, but if you are not boondocking, would just run the prosine until battery voltage about...

Reply #18
Cheap as chips:
Three wet 8D's from Napa, made by  Deka /East Penn
Set my original heart converter/charger at 13.05 float max, no issues
Have 450 watts solar when outdoors.
Watch them like a hawk
Haven't had to add water yet, they have been installed...

• Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 09:57:52 pm by gracerace

Reply #19
Oriellys Auto Parts, 3 AGM 8ds made by East Penn. $459 each less $46 10% military discount  was $413 × 3 = $1239.  This gives me approx 375 usable ah.  So far I'm mostly plugged in with 1200 watt solar, 4 approx 300 watt panels.  This will more...

Reply #20
Hi Jack,

What brand of lithium batteries are they? Internal BMS? Type of terminals? Jim

Reply #21
Oriellys Auto Parts, 3 AGM 8ds made by East Penn. $459 each less $46 10% military discount  was $413 × 3 = $1239.  This gives me approx 340 usable ah.  So far I'm mostly plugged in with...

Reply #22
I found out I don't have AGM's. The previous owner put in 4 8d flooded batteries.

Are they located in a vented bay rather than the "belly" secret compartment in the middle of the coach?

If...

Reply #23
He took out the propane tank and put them there. I guess it's vented?

Mike

Reply #24
I agree with Chris. And I like to keep things simple. Wether you buy batteries at Napa or Orlieys  doesn't matter. If your old batteries lasted that long then new ones should last just as long. Why spend money on items needed for new age...