Skip to main content

Topic: Preventative maintenance and possible battery upgrade  (Read 1145 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Preventative maintenance and possible battery upgrade
Reply #50
I spoke with the guy with the magnum inverter today.  We talked for about 30 minutes on the phone and he seemed like a trustworthy guy. 

He removed the Magnum because he switched to two Tesla model S batteries creating a 48V battery bank.  The...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #51

Included with the inverter is the magnum ME-ARC remote control panel and the magnum AGSN auto generator start. 

We haven't decided on anything yet because we still have to figure out...

Reply #52
If you can spend $500 and not expect anything but a life experience either good or bad I say go to it.  If you can disconnect your batteries overnight and not have the voltage decrease,...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #53
Whether you dry camp or not you still need a good charging system,a pure sine wave is a good choice.

Reply #54
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome
Chris

Reply #55
That's a excellent value

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #56
The propane, smoke,and other alarms may be powered by those batteries, not the best choice to disconnect.

Reply #57
We're trying to weigh all of our options.  I feel like the only way I really learn anything is by making bad choices and having to deal with the consequences.  Unfortunately it seems...

• OSIN
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #58
Here we go. IF you decide to do some upgrades in the future.
Having a little experience in the past with this issue. I'd recommend most of what others have mentioned.
1. Replace the old "dumb" charger with an Inverter Charger, either a Victron,...

Reply #59
I've been doing some studying over the past few days.  I don't think we're going to go with the CL magnum based solely on our not so stellar track record.  It might be a good deal but it also might be a $500 paperweight.  

If we do go with...

Reply #60

2. Buy the best batteries you can afford.

If we could afford it I'd go with a pair of Tesla batteries.

• Jack L
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #61
Hanna and Tyler, I hope this helps.  My "guess" to answer your question of how long to charge two 8ds, from 50% to 100% state of charge, with an 80 amp smart charger, is the following, 5 hrs (to 90%). In real life you will only probably go to...

Reply #62
I've been doing some studying over the past few days.  I don't think we're going to go with the CL magnum It might be a good deal but it also might be a $500 paperweight.

Good...

Reply #63
Lifeline agm's less resistance internal connections charge 20% faster.  So figure that in if using their chart? 

I am hesitant to use non lifeline agm's as any long term variation from  the recommended 20% of capacity or 5% charge rates would...

Reply #64
I was reading an article on agm batteries that said that they could be safely charged at a C/4 rate which is ah rate divided by 4.  I guess that would mean that two 250ah batteries could safely be charged at 125 amps?  Idk if I was understanding...

Reply #65
I was reading an article on agm batteries that said that they could be safely charged at a C/4 rate which is ah rate divided by 4.  I guess that would mean that two 250ah batteries...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #66
I was reading an article on agm batteries that said that they could be safely charged at a C/4 rate which is ah rate divided by 4.  I guess that would mean that two 250ah batteries...

Reply #67

For a two battery setup where would the shunt go for the battery monitor?

In the main line to the battery so that all the electricity going in or out goes through the shunt.  Keep in...

Reply #68
Absolutely, the shunt is between the negative terminal of the battery where you connect the cable for house ground and the house ground. So, short battery cable of same gauge as chassis ground cable going from negative terminal to shunt and old...

Reply #69
I feel like such a dummy when it comes to all of this.  I can read and reread the information a 100 times and come out blank in the end.  Unless it's in front of me and I can physically lay hands on it it's hopeless.   I've taken classes, was an...

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #70

Reply #71
The videos that have been posted are really helpful. The DIY solar guy posted a video about how his income stream works and although its not related to the topic it was interesting.  He said he brings in around 50k per month with advertisers and...

• OSIN
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #72
That Victron 712 is a great unit. Personally we don't like a ton of gauges inside (though some like the airplane cockpit look) so the Bluetooth makes it great for us. The monitor is mounted on a 4 SQ electrical box underneath. I just check my...